Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Wisdom from Ender's Game  (Read 1089 times)

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
  • University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
Wisdom from Ender's Game
« on: August 14, 2004, 07:05:20 AM »
Wisdom from “Ender’s Game”

1.   Steadily the pace increased. There were usually two battles a day now, and Ender held practices to a minimum. He would use the time while the others rested to pore over the replays of past games, trying to spot his own weaknesses, trying to guess what would happen next. Sometimes he was fully prepared for the enemy's innovations; sometimes he was not.

2.   Several times the enemy was able to trick him into exposing more weakness than he meant to; other times the enemy was able to wear him down by attrition until his victory was as much a matter of luck as strategy.

3.   "You won't fail, Ender. Not this early in the course. You've had some tight ones, but you've always won. You don't know what your limits are yet, but if you've reached them already you're a good deal feebler than I thought."

4.   "You know," said Bean one time, as he took over command of Hot Soup's four remaining fighters, "this game isn't quite as fun as it used to be."

5.   "For this to be a fair test of your ability, not just to do what you have practiced many times, but also to meet challenges you have never seen before, today's battle introduces a new element. It is staged around a planet. This will affect the enemy's strategy, and will force you to improvise. Please concentrate on the game today."

shaz
losin' sleep, gainin' knowledge.

ntsf

Re: Wisdom from Ender's Game
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2004, 08:11:31 AM »
I read that in middle school bec. my teacher suggested it to me.  :D

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2004, 10:25:46 AM »
I've read this book so many times.  It's one of my all time favorites, and it's what I inevitably pick up to read during times of stress.  (well, academic stress anyway)

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2004, 02:18:30 PM »
I read this book and I found some sound philosophy for approaching the LSAT. Go figure. I just wanted to share a few things that I found relevant.
1. pore over replays to spot weaknesses
2. Sometimes you might need a little luck
3. Don't limit yourself
4. The LSAT is work
5. You have to build on past knowledge and be able to improvise.

RockyMtnHighMama

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2004, 08:36:24 PM »

jgruber

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2004, 08:38:58 PM »
It told me war is too terrible to contemplate.

jayhawk

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2004, 04:26:25 AM »
I didn't like the fact that he always won.  I mean, I know that he had to work hard for it, but I think sometimes every hero should lose and use that as a learning experience.  Perhaps I'm wrong, but I don't think he ever lost? I also remember that it was natural intellect, not so much hard work?  I'd rather have a hero that starts low and works up, but thats just my opinion.

ghostpirate

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2004, 05:56:53 AM »
He lost in the end.  He nearly obliterated a sentient race.  He spent the rest of his life trying to redeem himself.

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2004, 06:00:33 AM »
Actually, he did not always win. He lost the first time he played the video game against the older boy. He did however win the the best out of three series. I just like the fact that he was playing games and that's what we seem to be doing.

Victor

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2004, 06:22:02 AM »
Actually, he did not always win. He lost the first time he played the video game against the older boy. He did however win the the best out of three series. I just like the fact that he was playing games and that's what we seem to be doing.

The book is about playing video games? LOL!!

I might actually buy the book at Barnes and Noble after all.

I'm just not a fan of fictional paperbacks. I like non fictional textbooks, material that are contained in the RC's. I think material like that is way more easy to follow than those Nueromancer type of books. I'll give it a gander though.

Off Topic --- Am I the only one who falls asleep each time trying to watch Blade Runner? (3 times). I fell asleep trying to read the book so I figured I would watch the movie but to no avail.