Law School Discussion

what do you think about this computer?

what do you think about this computer?
« on: June 14, 2006, 09:22:48 PM »
Okay, I've (finally) made a decision about what computer I'm going to get. However, hoping for some feedback before making the big purchase!

Here are the specs of what I'm getting. What do yall think?

Sony VGN-SZ240 (The Sony Vaio SZ series)

Intel Duo Core Processor 1.66 GHz
512 MB RAM
60 G hard drive
CD-RW/DVD drive
silver keyboard
Windows XP Home (I can get XP Pro free from my brother, which I'm going to do)
Large capacity lithium ion battery

Total price: $1520

Added the 3 year onsite service plan, for a grand total of $1769.99

Any thoughts? Thanks!!!

Tiwaz

• View Profile
Re: what do you think about this computer?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 10:14:50 PM »
I think the Vaios are unnecessarily expensive.  You're mostly paying for looks.  If you've got a sizable budget, the Lenovo Thinkpads are a popular choice.  They're considered the most reliable of the major brands.  That said, the Vaio would be fine for law school.  You might consider upgrading to a gig of RAM.  XP is such a memory hog. ::)

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 10:32:58 PM »
You missed a 2 page thread from the other day when I was debating between the Sony SZ and the Lenovo X series. I was unsure about the Lenovo because of lack of touchpad, and several people tried to convince me that it was great...well, I managed to find a store today that has the Thinkpads on the floor, and I absolutely hated the trackpoint. So, Lenovo is out of the question for me! (because the X series was the only one light enough for me to consider)

Thanks for your comments!

Do you really think the 1G is necessary? I don't do any gaming, just use it for basic things: using Word, and internet surfing mostly. Thanks!

Tiwaz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 10:53:58 PM »
Necessary?  Eh, probably not.  I assumed you were interested in performance because you'd opted for the Duo Core.  RAM is also usually very easy to upgrade, although I admit I'm not familiar with Sonys.

So... under 5 pounds and a full keyboard?  Hmm.  I'm quite happy with my Dell 710m, but the keyboard might be a little small for your tastes.  The XPS M1210 would be a good choice, though it might be a little more computer than you need.  (And without coupons or discounts, similarly expensive!)

Or... if you've settled on something like the SZ but just want to shave a little weight off it, take a look at the Sharp M4000 Widenote.  Full-size keyboard, 13.3" screen, and just 3.8 pounds.

Typhoon Longwang

• I have the power to stop an LSAT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 11:11:29 PM »
Now that you've tried the X series and it's out, go try the SZ...CompUSA has them to demo.  It's beautiful on paper but it wasn't as impressive in person; I tried it out: it felt cheap and I was unimpressed by Sony's component choices (slower memory and 5400rpm drive).  Plus the HD is not user upgradeable and you can't even pay to have anyone replace/change it.

I'm not sure how much it matters but:
SZ: 3.7 pounds
T60: 4.8 pounds (optical drive out and a 6-cell battery)

tacojohn

• "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 06:03:20 AM »
I know a lot of people say that all you do in law school on a laptop is surf the net, IM, and take notes, but you owe it to yourself to get a nice laptop.  I went through a big part of first semester with a holdover $600 laptop that was getting the job done, but I didn't enjoy using it.  When I cracked the screen, I invested in a very nice laptop.  I enjoy working on mine now.  Remember, if you take notes, write case briefs, and do outlining on all on a laptop, you might do 50-60 hours of work in a week and 75% of it will involve working on your laptop.  Have something you enjoy working on.

BTW, If you're thinking you might upgrade to Vista when it comes out, seriously consider that 1GB of ram, and get a laptop with a video card.

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 06:34:19 AM »
The price sounds quite expensive for that machine.  Does your school not offer some kind of Dell discount program?  I'm getting a quite beefy Dell Latitude 820 for only about $250 more than you list here for your Vaio.  The system will be just fine for word processing and other law school stuff. 

You're right, that it won't be something you'd want to game with.  That's a reason why I beefed up my system.  Between possible summers away from home, and long hours at the law school and needing some distraction opportunities, I decided it was worth it.

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 08:04:14 AM »
You missed a 2 page thread from the other day when I was debating between the Sony SZ and the Lenovo X series. I was unsure about the Lenovo because of lack of touchpad, and several people tried to convince me that it was great...well, I managed to find a store today that has the Thinkpads on the floor, and I absolutely hated the trackpoint. So, Lenovo is out of the question for me! (because the X series was the only one light enough for me to consider)

Thanks for your comments!

Do you really think the 1G is necessary? I don't do any gaming, just use it for basic things: using Word, and internet surfing mostly. Thanks!

I'm looking at your specs...and I got just about the same exact thing (but 1 GB of RAM and a couple of small upgrades prob.) and I paid almost half the price of that.  If you are going to splurge $1500 for a fancy looking computer, I don't know why you wouldn't just get the 1GB of RAM, I think you would see a difference in the RAM amounts.

I personally think it's way overpriced and I would take a look at Dell.