Law School Discussion

Poll

Gator for much dinero... or Albany for Free?

UFlorida
15 (62.5%)
Albany
9 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 22

UF (jacked) v. Albany (stylin')

loki13

• Exterminate all rational thought.
    • View Profile
UF (jacked) v. Albany (stylin')
« on: June 14, 2006, 08:14:10 PM »
So, here it is.

I've pretty much made up my mind, but I wanted any imput y'all might have. I have two options.... somehow, through very poor planning, I managed to leave myself with deposits at the University of Florida and Albany Law School. No Brainer, right?

Okay... let me add in the following: Albany will be free. Free is good for me, as I am poor. Not poor as in, "Daddy can only buy me a Ford SUV, not the Porsche SUV" poor. I mean poor as in, "I don't know if I'll be able to afford a new computer for school" poor. As for UF.... well, they kinda screwed me. Long story short- they classified me as out-of-state for tuition, and in-state for financial aid. By the time they realized their error, all the need-based grant money was gone. So, they've given me some Stafford loans, and basically told me to suck it.

I want to go to UF- I am a Floridian at heart. But I could live in NY (I've lived in upstate New York for two years). Will anyone argue that the prospects at UF are *so* mich better than Albany that I can justify that kind of debt for myself and my family?

Re: UF (jacked) v. Albany (stylin')
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 09:27:05 PM »
What kind of job aspirations do you have?

btw, FL has some of the best h.s. in the nation and if you kids do well (honor roll i think), they get an excellent deal (free tuition I think) on the public colleges.  Plus, there's no state income tax either, which means you can do more with your income.

If its not obvious, im bias, but im heading to UF.

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 10:01:40 PM »
As a non-trad student (32) I'll have a lot less time to be paying off loans than your average fresh-out-of-college type. In addition, as a non-trad student, I am fully aware that my job prospects will be limited that a younger graduate.
Hey Loki.  I'm going to disagree with you on this one.  I don't think your job prospects will suffer at all being a 32 non-trad.  I'm 34 and starting at UF in Aug and I'm not concerned about the job prospects with a Levin degree at all.  I also wouldn't be too worried about loan payoff time.  You're only about 7 years older than the avg Levin matriculant, and assuming a private firm job in state after grad, you'll have no problem paying off your loans in 10 years while maintaining a good standard of living for your family.

I know full ride is hard to pass up, and I have friends that graduated from Albany and have made successful careers in the New England area, so I won't presume to belittle the law school.  My only advice is make your decision based on logic not on emotions from the snafu with tuition.  Wherever logic takes you, go.  Good luck with your decision.

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 10:47:27 PM »
In addition, as a non-trad student, I am fully aware that my job prospects will be limited that a younger graduate.

Why would your job prospects be any worse due to your age?  Age could be an asset if you've had meaningful work experience and/or an advanced degree.  Traditional law school students have limited exposure to the working world and are an unproven commodity. If you managed to do anything worthwhile during the past decade, then your age could be an asset or, at the very least, not a liability if you position yourself well with prospective employers.

I would not take on huge debt at UF at your age (I'm 30, so I can say that  :))...unless you know for sure that you don't want to live in upstate NY or the northeast.  I grew up in the Albany area.  I liked it.  It's not the most happening place, but then neither is Gainesville.

The consensus seems to be UF.  This consensus is dominated by UF people, but I can't argue with much here.  My only issue is that I think people underestimate how a large debt load would impact you and your family.

aerynn

• Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 04:29:15 PM »
Actually, I agree with Vapid's points.  Maybe she made them a tad snarkily, but I think FL is the way to go.  Midlaw pays pretty well, even if you don't pick biglaw in FL.  Do personal injury and you can make the money up faster than someone on a biglaw partner track (although you will have to hussle for it).

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 06:41:37 PM »
UF at 28k is probably not worth it. avg salary is only about 56k. Tough choice and good luck.

cesco

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 08:45:41 PM »
I breezed through some of the posts/arguements here and dont have any comments on them, but wanted to throw in my 2cents on what I would do IF IN YOUR SHOES....

I would in a heartbeat go to Albany on a free ride.  The lifestyle of 0 debt (or minor debt if it is just $ for living expenses) vs. paying down six figures over the next ten years is pretty amazing. 

You are talking about $1000+ extra each month to spend for the next ten years.

You can put that aside to help your kids w/college, vacations, retirement, etc.

The ONLY reason I would ever choose UF is if your desire to live in Florida is extremely high - and you think you and your family would be really unhappy in NY. 

I offer this advice in the form of "if in your shoes" cause I am taking out loans vs. going to Tier3 w/some scholarship - but I am 27 w/no family, and sadly no boyfriend - meaning no family soon ;).

I think priorities are different w/a family...

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2006, 09:50:56 AM »
UF at 28k is probably not worth it. avg salary is only about 56k. Tough choice and good luck.
Yes, 56k is the avg reported for all jobs from 2004 stats.  http://www.law.ufl.edu/career/pdf/prospective_students.pdf

However, the new stats that UF reported have the avg sal of $58,770 and an avg firm pay of $71,709.  (info is on the right hand column in the following link) http://www.law.ufl.edu/news/flalaw/pdf/flalaw-060320.pdf

I tried to find similar info on Albany's website, but it merely said something along the line of salaries vary b/c of urban v. non-urban and public v. private practice. http://www.albanylaw.edu/sub.php?navigation_id=595

Also, I checked the COL differences for Nassau County v. Orlando.  Here are the results. http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/costofliving/costofliving.html?step=result&current_salary=100000&from_city=Nassau+County+NY&to_city=Orlando+FL&x=52&y=7
With that mentioned, I wouldnt claim that these COL calcs are the most accurate things in the world, and youre probably very aware of the cost of living differences between the upstate NY area and various places in FL.  I just wanted to show some numbers to help in a cost-benefit analysis.

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2006, 12:51:24 PM »
Also, I checked the COL differences for Nassau County v. Orlando.  Here are the results. http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/costofliving/costofliving.html?step=result&current_salary=100000&from_city=Nassau+County+NY&to_city=Orlando+FL&x=52&y=7
With that mentioned, I wouldnt claim that these COL calcs are the most accurate things in the world, and youre probably very aware of the cost of living differences between the upstate NY area and various places in FL.  I just wanted to show some numbers to help in a cost-benefit analysis.

Nassau county is on Long Island.  Why did you decide to go with Nassau for COL purposes?  Nassau is about a three hour drive from Albany.  Why not Albany or Saratoga County?

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2006, 02:19:30 PM »
Nassau county is on Long Island.  Why did you decide to go with Nassau for COL purposes?  Nassau is about a three hour drive from Albany.  Why not Albany or Saratoga County?
I wasnt sure exactly where Nassau Co is located, but saw that nassau, ny was nearby (at least according to google maps).  Kinda strange that Nassau isnt located in Nassau county.  Albany wasnt listed among the choices in the calc.  My bad. Sorry about the poor info.