Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Ear plugs in the LSAT  (Read 11954 times)

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
Re: Ear plugs in the LSAT
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2004, 11:00:32 AM »
i personally think earplugs are more distracting.  i tried wearing them through some practice tests, but they were uncomfortable and i kept hearing voices in my head when i was whispering questions to myself...like someone was reading with me...i thought it was god helping me along...but then i remembered - i dont believe in god. 
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

NYBound05

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2004, 11:40:44 PM »

So yeah, people are going to be doing wierd things and making sounds - coughing, sliding chairs, asking questions to the proctors, etc.  You have to get used to such distractions though.  If you're really focused you won't even hear that stuff.

I plan on taking the LSAT this October, but I've spoken with many who have already taken it and I have heard some horror stories.  A friend of mine told me how hard it was for her to concentrate on taken the test, due to the fact that two people in the room were vomiting their stomachs out, a few girls just broke down sobbing, and there were digital clocks going off everywhere.  And they don't allow you to wear earplugs when your FUTURE is on the line???  What BS!  I'm sorry, but I don't see how any human could concentrate on taking the test while all of that crap is going on...

whiteal6

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2004, 10:55:35 AM »
Our proctors actually provided earplugs to the entire room.  See my post under LSAT stories for explanation!

swagger

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Swagger008
    • View Profile
    • LSN for stats
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2004, 10:59:58 AM »
What about little ticking clocks?  I took the test 2 days ago, and a guy sitting behind me brought a little home alarm clock with an incredibly irritating rapid TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK....I wish I had brought earplugs.

marista

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - purplenna
    • View Profile
    • My lawschoolnumbers page
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2004, 12:13:19 PM »
I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to bring clocks or timers that make any noise at all.  At my LSAT they were telling people they couldn't bring in beeping watches, etc.

However, as luck would have it I took the test on Homecoming day at the U of Montana.  Lots of people walking by the windows, talking, yelling, being drunk, and generally making noise.  Then to top it all off, in the middle of the second section, the school marching band marched by the window treating us to a nice loud rendition of what I can only imagine is the school's fight song or something.  I have to say that's much worse than a couple of beeping watches.

godhenry

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2004, 01:20:20 AM »
ok the rules say that you can bring ear plugs but do NOT say anything about not allowing tissues or napkins or not allowing examinees to plug tissues or napkins into their ears. can't you just plug your ears with tissues or napkins? can the test proctor still ask you take take them off? i don't see how they can but please let me know if you feel otherwise...

wow, i'm already looking for loopholes and i'm not even a lawyer yet... sad...

absy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2004, 01:22:45 AM »
I don't think they'd allow it

godhenry

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2004, 01:30:52 AM »
why not? i'm just curious to why you think that...

absy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2004, 01:37:01 AM »
Just as a cautious statement.  You can't count on it during the real thing, so I wouldn't even practice like that.

On the contrary, practicing with music or traffic noise in the background can help you practice maintaining focus.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2004, 09:54:20 AM »
Once you stick the tissue in your ear, it becomes an ear plug, and hence not allowed.

Besides, why would *anyone* want to plug their ears during the test?  If you can't hear the proctor say pencils down, then you'll keep working, have your test taken away, and a report put in your lsac file.  Is some sniffling and shuffling of papers really that distracting?