Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Ear plugs in the LSAT  (Read 11452 times)

live in la

• View Profile
Ear plugs in the LSAT
« on: February 03, 2004, 06:08:13 PM »
Do you know if it is okay to wear ear plugs during the LSAT?  I was planning to and then heard it might not be okay...

justme

• View Profile
Re: Ear plugs in the LSAT
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2004, 05:11:48 AM »
Ear plugs are on the list of items that are not allowed during the LSAT (if you've already registered, look on the second page of your admission ticket). However, when I took the test, I don't remember the proctor's making any mention of them when they collected cell phone wand walkmans, so you could always bring them and just ask the proctor if its okay. I wouldn't depend on it though.

Andrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I just think the thing should work properly."
    • View Profile
    • Andrew Sinclair
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2004, 08:20:26 AM »
I think LSAT rooms are generally pretty quiet.  When I took the LSAT though, I didn't realize that people had the sections in different order.  The proctors said "you may begin" and the guy next to me promptly started going crazy with his pencil.  I had no idea what he was doing - but I later assumed he had the games section first and was drawing out a chart.  I remember thinking "what is this guy DOING - am I supposed to be drawing something?"

So yeah, people are going to be doing wierd things and making sounds - coughing, sliding chairs, asking questions to the proctors, etc.  You have to get used to such distractions though.  If you're really focused you won't even hear that stuff.

jgruber

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2004, 10:31:44 AM »
It won't hurt to bring them, but I didn't need them.
Then again I took it at a small college and there were only 8 people in the room including the proctors.

Meltdown

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2004, 05:10:42 PM »
Worst thing that would happen is that they would ask you to remove them, so I'd bring them along and give it try.

jas9999

• Sr. Citizen
  • Actual Law Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2004, 04:14:42 PM »
In my administration, despite the proctor saying several times "earplugs are prohibited" the guy in front of me thought he was being slick by wearing them. Shortly before the exam began, the proctor said, while looking directly at him "don't make me walk over there and rip the earplugs out of your ears - I've done it before" and he finally took them out.

In short, if the proctors are following the rules, you will not be allowed to wear them. And you shouldn't be allowed to, because others around the country are being told they can't...

Meltdown

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2004, 11:41:26 AM »
It would be nice if everyone followed the rules, but it seems like the result of that was just that he had to remove the plugs. I wonder how many people in other test centers were able to use them without problem. Probably a lot.

nathanielmark

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2004, 03:04:41 PM »
It actually seems pretty silly to me that you can't wear earplugs.  why not just allow everyone to wear them and thus ensure against distractions that affect only certain groups of students during the test.

makes little sense to me.  i suppose you could argue that it could contribute to a student not responding in adequete time to instruction to end a section.

bruiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2004, 03:07:44 PM »
DO NOT wear earplugs in the LSAT!  This is for our own good.  If for any reason the proctor yells time and you keep working because you cannot hear, your test may be taken from you.  Or you might not even know it but the proctor could forfeit your test and you will receive a letter from LSAC saying that they have cancelled your score.  The test room is totally silent so no earplugs are necessary.

mailtime

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2004, 12:40:35 PM »
i had planned to use ear plugs as i had practiced with them but i did not want to be interrupted during a section because the proctor saw them.  also i took the lsat in a room with close to 100 people and the room was silent. maybe it was luck or the aderol, but i didnt have any noise distractions.