Law School Discussion

What do you guys think about this?

CuteCUTigerr

What do you guys think about this?
« on: June 14, 2006, 02:37:23 PM »
"Dear Members of the Class of 2009:

One of our obligations as a law school is to help our students form habits consistent with the professional behavior expected of lawyers.  There has been much discussion - and consternation, quite honestly - in the law school admission community this summer on the topic of applicants placing seat deposits with more than one law school. 

I encourage you to notify all law schools to which you were admitted of your commitment to attend Tennessee, if you have not already done so, so that those schools can make their enrollment plans accordingly.

We are grateful to be in a wonderful position with our entering class, thanks to each of you, and our hope is that other law schools can "settle in" with their entering classes soon and convert their energy to planning for Fall Semester as we have.

Enjoy the rest of the summer, and come by and see us if you are in the Knoxville area!"

This is taken straight from an email I got from UTK Law today.  I honestly considered paying deposits two places because I didn't really see anything wrong with it, and I know other people who were saying the same thing.  The only reason I didn't do it was because I didn't want to be out an extra $500. 

What are your feelings on this, though?  Do you guys think it's wrong to keep your options open longer?  Also, do you think schools are having a bigger problem with people paying multiple deposits this year?   

Towlie

Re: What do you guys think about this?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 02:42:17 PM »
"Dear Members of the Class of 2009:

One of our obligations as a law school is to help our students form habits consistent with the professional behavior expected of lawyers.  There has been much discussion - and consternation, quite honestly - in the law school admission community this summer on the topic of applicants placing seat deposits with more than one law school. 

I encourage you to notify all law schools to which you were admitted of your commitment to attend Tennessee, if you have not already done so, so that those schools can make their enrollment plans accordingly.

We are grateful to be in a wonderful position with our entering class, thanks to each of you, and our hope is that other law schools can "settle in" with their entering classes soon and convert their energy to planning for Fall Semester as we have.

Enjoy the rest of the summer, and come by and see us if you are in the Knoxville area!"

This is taken straight from an email I got from UTK Law today.  I honestly considered paying deposits two places because I didn't really see anything wrong with it, and I know other people who were saying the same thing.  The only reason I didn't do it was because I didn't want to be out an extra $500. 

What are your feelings on this, though?  Do you guys think it's wrong to keep your options open longer?  Also, do you think schools are having a bigger problem with people paying multiple deposits this year?   

If you can afford it, I think its appropriate to put deposits down at all the schools you are seriously considering attending if you can't make up your mind by the given date. Obviously, law schools do not encourage or want this, but you have every right to do so (unless you applied ED or any other binding way). The second you are sure you won't attend a school though, withdraw right away. It's only nice.

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 06:50:40 AM »
Multiple seat deposits are just fine.  You pay the law school $XXX.XX and they get to keep the money if you don't attend.  Sure, they'd like you to actually attend, but they know that some people will end up elsewhere.

If law school admissions offices are really concerned about this, then they can raise the seat deposit amount or have letters of intent sent in earlier.

Once you've ruled a school out, you should let them know as soon as possible, though.  There's nothing unethical about playing by the rules that the law school admissions offices have collectively mandated for us to follow.

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 08:08:25 AM »
Oh I see their thoughts...

you can't pay for 2 seat deposits to leave 2 schools waiting, but it's PERFECTLY fine for schools to put tons (I don't know how many but it almost seems like hundreds at some schools) on the Waitlist and wait till the last day of July to tell them their decision.

I personally put down one seat deposit because it was an early seat deposit, then I got into another school and had 2 seat deposits at 2 schools, and on June 1st I only paid 1 of the 2 seat deposits and withdrew from the other.

I don't feel I did anything ethically questionable at all.

CuteCUTigerr

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 08:41:28 AM »
Oh I see their thoughts...

you can't pay for 2 seat deposits to leave 2 schools waiting, but it's PERFECTLY fine for schools to put tons (I don't know how many but it almost seems like hundreds at some schools) on the Waitlist and wait till the last day of July to tell them their decision.

I personally put down one seat deposit because it was an early seat deposit, then I got into another school and had 2 seat deposits at 2 schools, and on June 1st I only paid 1 of the 2 seat deposits and withdrew from the other.

I don't feel I did anything ethically questionable at all.

Yeah, that was what I did, too. :)

I don't know; something about unprofessional behavior and all that just made me feel a little uneasy. 

I know they'd all like to know exactly who will be in their classes in the fall, but considering a lot of schools make you wait a good while for a decision, why can't we do the same?  Ah well, what can you do, right? :) 

Barney

• 1L who should have better things to do
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 01:30:51 PM »
The talk of "habits consistent with the professional behavior expected of lawyers" is crap.  If I'm on trial, I'd prefer the lawyer who hedged his bets in this regard, who knew full well that things might not go as planned, and who took the neccessary steps to ensure the best possible outcome regardless. 

Did your Harvard scholarship fall through when they found those pictures?  Did you fall madly in-love with a girl in Austin after you sent in your Georgetown deposit?  Did a misunderstanding over a foul ball make life in Chicago a sort-of unbearable hell in spite of the Northwestern commitment?  Is the free housing you'd lined up at Tulane a wee bit dangerously mildewy? Did you just catch on that Syracuse really is as cold and miserable as everyone says?

There are lots of reasons you might change your mind about a school, and until you've made a binding committment to one or the other, you're perfectly right to change your mind.  For an admissions office to imply some sort of moral obligation to limit your options is manipulative and wrong.  You're the $100 thousand goose that's keeping them in business, they can deal with your indecisiveness for a few extra weeks.

That all said, people are on waitlists.  If you can't dream up a reasonable scenerio that sees you going to x or y school, withdraw so they can open up the list. That's just politeness.

bruin

• View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 10:38:50 PM »
Multiple seat deposits are just fine.  You pay the law school $XXX.XX and they get to keep the money if you don't attend.  Sure, they'd like you to actually attend, but they know that some people will end up elsewhere.

If law school admissions offices are really concerned about this, then they can raise the seat deposit amount or have letters of intent sent in earlier.

Once you've ruled a school out, you should let them know as soon as possible, though.  There's nothing unethical about playing by the rules that the law school admissions offices have collectively mandated for us to follow.

titcr

Pirate Pete

• member Em.eritus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 10:42:50 PM »
This seemed to me like more of a self-interest protection letter than anything else.  More like UTK is trying to encourage those who will not be attending their school to let them know.

bruin

• View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2006, 10:50:52 PM »
exactly.

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2006, 11:19:53 PM »
This seemed to me like more of a self-interest protection letter than anything else.  More like UTK is trying to encourage those who will not be attending their school to let them know.

That would be agreed, but they didn't have to be jerks about it...