Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hey, who's still excited about Iowa?!?  (Read 12372 times)

Kevin26.2

• Sr. Citizen
  • i love this movie
    • View Profile
Re: Hey, who's still excited about Iowa?!?
« Reply #110 on: July 14, 2006, 03:36:52 PM »
me too, but i'm a little peeved that they keep telling us the reading list is coming in late july rather than just telling us the books that are on it!

okay, rant over.

but yeah i'm still excited.
Iowa Law Class of '09

greengrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 18, 2006, 10:08:54 AM »
AH!!! Orientation is less than a month away! Has anyone still not ordered their computer? I know, I HAVE to do this this week but I just haven't gotten around to it. Anyone order through the school--how long did it take??

Did ya'll get the email yesterday about going to the State Fair? Anyone going?? I love state fairs...our local county fairs were always pretty good. Dare I even ask if anyone likes country music b/c I do..I actually really like it. (of course I am from Southern Ohio so Iowa is pretty much home for me) Anyway, who's going??

Also, I'm calling the DMV today to sort out some of the questions we had about the info on the website and registering our cars and such. I'll post and let everyone know what I find out. If you have any other questions and can catch me in the next few minutes, let me know and i'll add to the list

I REALLY need to pack. I move in a week and a half!

Kevin26.2

• Sr. Citizen
  • i love this movie
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 18, 2006, 10:23:49 AM »
i saw the part about the state fair in that email. it looks fun, but i dont think i can commit to it just yet.

when is everyone moving again? i think we should organize an LSD meet and greet or something the friday before orientation starts. what do you guys think?
Iowa Law Class of '09

gcs451

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 18, 2006, 12:18:10 PM »
The Iowa State Fair is a blast, I highly recommend going.  I know I will be going at somepoint, not sure if it will be on that Sat. I order the Dell Latitude D620 through the University last Monday and it was delivered on Friday, so the turn around is pretty quick.  I pretty got the package they put together, I just upgraded the battery and got a spare. 

So my last day of work is July 28 and I plan to be in Iowa City by Aug. 3rd.  And I still have not even started the process of moving out of my current place.  I will be an Iowa City on the 3rd then off to Chicago to pick up a bunch of free furniture.  So I have a lot of driving and moving in my future.   
University of Iowa Class of 2009

greengrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 18, 2006, 01:42:34 PM »
Yeah, I'm not sure if i'm going to the fair, either, but it sounds like so much fun! I'm not real big on the "big group bus" where I'm stuck there all day until we leave for the day :)

I just talked to the DMV in Iowa and here's what I found out. We are still considered students even if we don't have a permanent residence in the state where our vehicle is registered. For those of us that JUST paid to reregister our car, we're in luck--we can keep our current registration until it's time to renew--then we need to have an Iowa license/plate combo. The trick is just to make sure they "match"--if you get your car registerd in Iowa then change your license over, too. If not, keep it the same. Dont' have one of each (duh, I know but still). I'm going to wait a few months to do mine, but I think I might need to do mine sooner than later since I will more than likely be employed during school (god willing I can find a suitable job). But still, I'm waiting a few months--that's just extra money I don't have right now.

Now, to purchase my computer. And find movers...blah

blocke123

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 18, 2006, 03:23:55 PM »
So okay I finally have finalized my final decision... I'm going to Iowa.  The university of Iowa medical center just offered my wife a position so I'm all set.  I wanted to go to Iowa and it looks like I'm getting my wish.  PLUS I get to have lunch with my wife every day since we're only a few hundred feet apart (U of Iowa Hospital is near the law school).

Now to purchase a laptop since my laptop at home (2 year old dell) aparently won't cut the muster (only 192MB RAM).  I called Dell and challenged them to find me a better deal than Iowa.  I found that I could purchase a Inspiron E1405 for $713 with all the same features except I get more memory and a DVD burner (instead of just a CD).  Has anyone else noticied this same phenomenon?  Let me know I'm a little concerned about buying this computer vs. the Latitude unless I'm missing an important advantage for Latitude. 

Also, I'm not going to the state fair, I don't know my wife's schedule but I'm going to be moving up north of Iowa City in Coralville.  Anyone else heading up there?  Anyone buying a place?
Wants to meet me under the bleachers: DePaul ($$$), John Marshall ($$$ withdrawn), American, Miami (withdrawn), IOWA, Kent ($$)
Wants to meet me by the bike rack: Indiana
Told me they need to wash their hair: Loyola

gcs451

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 18, 2006, 03:48:10 PM »
The only difference I can think of in the computers, is that the Latitude's are a bit sturdier then the Inspiron.  Since they are designed for business use.  However, I doubt that makes much of a difference.  As long as the insides are the same (or better), probably best to go with the cheaper one.
University of Iowa Class of 2009

greengrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 18, 2006, 03:49:41 PM »
So okay I finally have finalized my final decision... I'm going to Iowa.  The university of Iowa medical center just offered my wife a position so I'm all set.  I wanted to go to Iowa and it looks like I'm getting my wish.  PLUS I get to have lunch with my wife every day since we're only a few hundred feet apart (U of Iowa Hospital is near the law school).

Now to purchase a laptop since my laptop at home (2 year old dell) aparently won't cut the muster (only 192MB RAM).  I called Dell and challenged them to find me a better deal than Iowa.  I found that I could purchase a Inspiron E1405 for $713 with all the same features except I get more memory and a DVD burner (instead of just a CD).  Has anyone else noticied this same phenomenon?  Let me know I'm a little concerned about buying this computer vs. the Latitude unless I'm missing an important advantage for Latitude. 

Also, I'm not going to the state fair, I don't know my wife's schedule but I'm going to be moving up north of Iowa City in Coralville.  Anyone else heading up there?  Anyone buying a place?

Yeah! Congratulations for your wife--I'm sure that feels good to have made a decision. Obviously the main difference between the Inspiron and the Latitude series is the consumer v. business angle. I have yet to fully understand how much if at all this matters. So you're getting the Inspiron for the amount of the base Dell model? I wanted to upgrade so when I customized my Latitude was still coming out at just over 1k when it should have been around 1800. I dont' know, though---I think the deals Iowa is giving us suck, personally. I wanted a Thinkpad and I'm irritated that we don't have that as an option. Interesting find, however..time to do some more research

I may very well buy a place next year but not this year; if I go through with the MD/JD or the MS/JD I will for sure buy a place since I'll be there forever

blocke123

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 18, 2006, 07:59:26 PM »

Yeah! Congratulations for your wife--I'm sure that feels good to have made a decision. Obviously the main difference between the Inspiron and the Latitude series is the consumer v. business angle. I have yet to fully understand how much if at all this matters. So you're getting the Inspiron for the amount of the base Dell model? I wanted to upgrade so when I customized my Latitude was still coming out at just over 1k when it should have been around 1800. I dont' know, though---I think the deals Iowa is giving us suck, personally. I wanted a Thinkpad and I'm irritated that we don't have that as an option. Interesting find, however..time to do some more research

I may very well buy a place next year but not this year; if I go through with the MD/JD or the MS/JD I will for sure buy a place since I'll be there forever

I checked officemax and found a similar computer to the Inspiron/Latitude for 639 bucks...
Wants to meet me under the bleachers: DePaul ($$$), John Marshall ($$$ withdrawn), American, Miami (withdrawn), IOWA, Kent ($$)
Wants to meet me by the bike rack: Indiana
Told me they need to wash their hair: Loyola

hopeful20

• Toast for tomorrow, but drink for today.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 19, 2006, 03:55:35 AM »
AH!!! Orientation is less than a month away! Has anyone still not ordered their computer? I know, I HAVE to do this this week but I just haven't gotten around to it. Anyone order through the school--how long did it take??

Did ya'll get the email yesterday about going to the State Fair? Anyone going?? I love state fairs...our local county fairs were always pretty good. Dare I even ask if anyone likes country music b/c I do..I actually really like it. (of course I am from Southern Ohio so Iowa is pretty much home for me) Anyway, who's going??

Also, I'm calling the DMV today to sort out some of the questions we had about the info on the website and registering our cars and such. I'll post and let everyone know what I find out. If you have any other questions and can catch me in the next few minutes, let me know and i'll add to the list

I REALLY need to pack. I move in a week and a half!

I'm definitely going to the state fair.  I replied to the email when I received it.  Having been in California for almost a decade, the idea of going to a real state fair is very foreign and exciting.  i also like country music (despite living in LA), hehe.  although, i pretty much like all types of music.  i assume iowa will have great country radio stations relatively to what i'm use to. 

I'm doing my cross-country trip to iowa in exactly 2 weeks and it barely looks like i've packed much at all.  My last day at work is next Thursday - giving me 5 days before my trip.  I know the next two weeks will be pretty hectic.  Good luck to everyone and their moving!  I'll see you guys in Iowa very very soon.  :D

Kevin - Good idea.  I'm down for a LSD meet & greet that friday.   :)