Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hey, who's still excited about Iowa?!?  (Read 12349 times)

greengrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Hey, who's still excited about Iowa?!?
« Reply #100 on: July 07, 2006, 04:26:42 PM »
immunization?  do we really have to do that?  i remember having that requirement when i entered UG, but didn't remember really doing anything to meet the requirement.

as for the transcript request email, i also got one too.  i guess they just want an "official" one, as the one they get from LSDAS is a copy - i don't even know if LSDAS sends them the exact copy either - they may just send the LSDAS formatted version of our transcript.  also a good amount of students applied during their senior year in UG, so the UG degree requirement was not listed on their transcript they provided LSDAS.  just go to your UG's registrar's website and request an official transcript - it only takes a few minutes, and for my school, i just had to fill out an online form and paid through my credit card. 

i'll probably get my software from the school too.  i'm very excited that we get that free antivirus program (if i recall correctly).  i've only had my current laptop for a year, so i dont think i'm in the market for a new one just yet.

another question, are you guys going to register your car in iowa?  my registration in CA just ended in june, so i was forced to buy the renewal registration for CA for another year. 

all this moving and law school preparation stress is insane.  i think i'll need a nice massage by the end of it - wonder if iowa has a spa or something around the area.   ::)

yeah i called and took care of the transcript today and will have my innumization forms sent from my old dr. you've probably had the shots you just need to get proof.

just had to reregister my car, too. eventually we will need to register in iowa and get a new license. i'm going to put that off as long as i can :)

i think i may have missed something...there's an immunization form?  did you download it from the school's website or was this something i should have received?  hmm, very confused.

there is a yellow medical form that we need to fill out and send back to the school ( i got it a long time ago and just found it while packing/cleaning). on there, there is a section to have your Dr's office sign off on your immunizations. You can also just forward a copy of your immunization record from their office-either will work.

blah. this sucks. there is SO much left to do!!

blocke123

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 07, 2006, 04:28:06 PM »
immunization?  do we really have to do that?  i remember having that requirement when i entered UG, but didn't remember really doing anything to meet the requirement.

as for the transcript request email, i also got one too.  i guess they just want an "official" one, as the one they get from LSDAS is a copy - i don't even know if LSDAS sends them the exact copy either - they may just send the LSDAS formatted version of our transcript.  also a good amount of students applied during their senior year in UG, so the UG degree requirement was not listed on their transcript they provided LSDAS.  just go to your UG's registrar's website and request an official transcript - it only takes a few minutes, and for my school, i just had to fill out an online form and paid through my credit card. 

i'll probably get my software from the school too.  i'm very excited that we get that free antivirus program (if i recall correctly).  i've only had my current laptop for a year, so i dont think i'm in the market for a new one just yet.

another question, are you guys going to register your car in iowa?  my registration in CA just ended in june, so i was forced to buy the renewal registration for CA for another year. 

all this moving and law school preparation stress is insane.  i think i'll need a nice massage by the end of it - wonder if iowa has a spa or something around the area.   ::)

yeah i called and took care of the transcript today and will have my innumization forms sent from my old dr. you've probably had the shots you just need to get proof.

just had to reregister my car, too. eventually we will need to register in iowa and get a new license. i'm going to put that off as long as i can :)

Just a warning, you generally have to get new plates and register your car in most states within 6 months of moving unless you have a permanent residence elsewhere.  Most likely you do not... I've gotten nailed by this and its not worth it.  Just and FYI.
Wants to meet me under the bleachers: DePaul ($$$), John Marshall ($$$ withdrawn), American, Miami (withdrawn), IOWA, Kent ($$)
Wants to meet me by the bike rack: Indiana
Told me they need to wash their hair: Loyola

Kevin26.2

• Sr. Citizen
  • i love this movie
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 07, 2006, 04:34:47 PM »
looks liek we are required to register within 30 days of establishing residency there:

http://www.dot.state.ia.us/mvd/ovs/register.htm

Iowa Law Class of '09

Kevin26.2

• Sr. Citizen
  • i love this movie
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 07, 2006, 05:22:48 PM »
i saw the part about a domicile, but thought it meant owning a home in your previous state. looks like law school comes in handy for determining your motor vehicle registration issues if nothing else.

so it seems there's one less thing to worry about. thanks matthies.
Iowa Law Class of '09

hopeful20

• Toast for tomorrow, but drink for today.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 07, 2006, 06:10:41 PM »
looks liek we are required to register within 30 days of establishing residency there:

http://www.dot.state.ia.us/mvd/ovs/register.htm

Most states have a “fulltime student” exemption, Iowa is not different.

“Resident does not include a person who is attending a college or university in this state if the person has a domicile in another state and has a valid driver's license issued by the state of domicile. Resident also does not include members of the armed forces that are stationed in Iowa, providing that their vehicles are properly registered in their state of residency.”
 http://www.dot.state.ia.us/mvd/ods/newresidents.htm

Of course if you want to vote, or you buy a house, or you don’t want to have to go to court and explain your student status when you get a ticket in your apartment parking lot, you may want to just do it. I waited a year here is CO with not problems, turned out my registration was HALF as much as back in AZ!

PS- Resdency and domcile are two diffrent things, domcile means you intend to return, even if you have residency someplace else. I think, you'll learn it in Civ Pro then promptly forget it like I did.

thanks for the clarification Matthies.  i know registering in iowa would be much cheaper than in california, i'll take care of it when my CA registration expires next june. 

there is a yellow medical form that we need to fill out and send back to the school ( i got it a long time ago and just found it while packing/cleaning). on there, there is a section to have your Dr's office sign off on your immunizations. You can also just forward a copy of your immunization record from their office-either will work.

blah. this sucks. there is SO much left to do!!

i guess i'll need to look for that yellow form.  i probably overlooked it when i got it months ago.   ::)

gcs451

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 11, 2006, 11:22:48 AM »
Has anyone received any word yet on the GRADPlus promissoray notes?
University of Iowa Class of 2009

greengrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 11, 2006, 12:02:21 PM »
Has anyone received any word yet on the GRADPlus promissoray notes?

They were mailed out this week and you will receive them late this week or early next week per Jessica.

hopeful20

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 11, 2006, 09:06:51 PM »
do you guys know when we're getting our reading list for this fall semester?  from the last packet we received from them, it seems like we won't get a list until first day of orientation.  that's slightly stressful, considering some schools have sent out their reading list in early June.

Terabithia

• Sr. Citizen
  • Wondering and Wishing
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 12, 2006, 04:10:16 PM »
do you guys know when we're getting our reading list for this fall semester?  from the last packet we received from them, it seems like we won't get a list until first day of orientation.  that's slightly stressful, considering some schools have sent out their reading list in early June.

I think they said they will send them in the end of July, I hope!

hopeful20

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 14, 2006, 03:35:00 PM »
i can't believe that in exactly a month from today, we will officially be law students.  i'm so excited!   :D