Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hey, who's still excited about Iowa?!?  (Read 12540 times)

hopeful20

• Toast for tomorrow, but drink for today.
    • View Profile
Re: Hey, who's still excited about Iowa?!?
« Reply #90 on: June 30, 2006, 02:03:37 PM »
Hey, briefly, back to housing...who has opinions on the following properties:

1000 Oakcrest (River City Property Management)
1108 Oakcrest (RCPM)
Seville (Barker)
Emerald Court (Barker)
1054 Newton (Cruise)

I'm really trying to avoid flying out there just to look at these apartments, only to have to move there within three weeks.  So, if tenants or anyone familiar with these buildings would be willing, please drop me a line, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

I've got you on this one--avoid Barker management company like the PLAGUE. A lot of law students live in the Seville but if you read the reviews a lot of them are very unhappy. They don't have any one bedrooms left and for what you will pay for a two bedroom there you are far better off other places. Plus, they are REALLY unorganized and rude. I had an awful experience with Seville in particular and I woudl avoid them. Emerald is a bit over priced in my opinion--there are comparable units for better prices. I've seen them both in person. The on site management at Emerald seemed a bit better but they are still under the Barker name and I was really unimpressed with Barker owned properties.

Oakcrest pride :) Sorry, I'm living on that street :) River City Property Mgmt was recommended by someone else on this site and they seemed legit in my book. It's a close walk to the school, most of the units are older but well maintained. It's a college town, so if you want new construction it's expensive.

AS for the Newton property, I got nothing--no clue. Newton is close to campus though from what I understand.

hope that helps.
E

woohoo for oakcrest!  ironically enough, greengrl and i will be neighbors.  she was kind enough to recommend this place: http://www.iowacity-apartments.com.  there might still be some spaces left.  last time i checked, there was a one bedroom available at white oak and lakewood west, and 2 2 bedrooms available at sherry beth.  good luck with the apt hunt, it'll definitely feel much less stressful when you know where you're living in a month.  :)

...and on a complete tangent, there's been a lot of talk on getting new backpacks.  I know iowa offers lockers on-campus.  are you guys getting one of those huge rolling backpacks?  i'm going to sound like such a girl here, but they're honestly pretty horrendeous (ie: ugly).  ::) i think i may get this one though: http://www.swissarmy.com/TravelGear/Product.htm?category=backpacksmessengersbackpacks&product=31161&

Kevin26.2

• Sr. Citizen
  • i love this movie
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 30, 2006, 02:10:22 PM »
OK, as far as housing goes, I've heard the Seville is fine, so don't totally discount Barker property management... Oakcrest and CJG Rentals is fine IF the property manager doesn't stand you up after you drove 110 miles to see her... I thought I'd gotten over it, but apparently I'm still salty about it, haha.

As far as the backpack stuff, I won't be caught dead with one of those rolling joints, haha. I know my last concern as a law student should be having a cool backpack, but I just can't see myself rolling one around.
Iowa Law Class of '09

greengrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 30, 2006, 02:10:50 PM »
Hey, briefly, back to housing...who has opinions on the following properties:

1000 Oakcrest (River City Property Management)
1108 Oakcrest (RCPM)
Seville (Barker)
Emerald Court (Barker)
1054 Newton (Cruise)

I'm really trying to avoid flying out there just to look at these apartments, only to have to move there within three weeks.  So, if tenants or anyone familiar with these buildings would be willing, please drop me a line, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

I've got you on this one--avoid Barker management company like the PLAGUE. A lot of law students live in the Seville but if you read the reviews a lot of them are very unhappy. They don't have any one bedrooms left and for what you will pay for a two bedroom there you are far better off other places. Plus, they are REALLY unorganized and rude. I had an awful experience with Seville in particular and I woudl avoid them. Emerald is a bit over priced in my opinion--there are comparable units for better prices. I've seen them both in person. The on site management at Emerald seemed a bit better but they are still under the Barker name and I was really unimpressed with Barker owned properties.

Oakcrest pride :) Sorry, I'm living on that street :) River City Property Mgmt was recommended by someone else on this site and they seemed legit in my book. It's a close walk to the school, most of the units are older but well maintained. It's a college town, so if you want new construction it's expensive.

AS for the Newton property, I got nothing--no clue. Newton is close to campus though from what I understand.

hope that helps.
E

woohoo for oakcrest!  ironically enough, greengrl and i will be neighbors.  she was kind enough to recommend this place: http://www.iowacity-apartments.com.  there might still be some spaces left.  last time i checked, there was a one bedroom available at white oak and lakewood west, and 2 2 bedrooms available at sherry beth.  good luck with the apt hunt, it'll definitely feel much less stressful when you know where you're living in a month.  :)

...and on a complete tangent, there's been a lot of talk on getting new backpacks.  I know iowa offers lockers on-campus.  are you guys getting one of those huge rolling backpacks?  i'm going to sound like such a girl here, but they're honestly pretty horrendeous (ie: ugly).  ::) i think i may get this one though: http://www.swissarmy.com/TravelGear/Product.htm?category=backpacksmessengersbackpacks&product=31161&

yeah, i was going to mention that hopeful but their website was down yesterday so I thought I would hold off until it was up. but yeah, i've been recruiting everyone to rent from Kristy; she's great.

greengrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 30, 2006, 02:15:47 PM »
OK, as far as housing goes, I've heard the Seville is fine, so don't totally discount Barker property management... Oakcrest and CJG Rentals is fine IF the property manager doesn't stand you up after you drove 110 miles to see her... I thought I'd gotten over it, but apparently I'm still salty about it, haha.

As far as the backpack stuff, I won't be caught dead with one of those rolling joints, haha. I know my last concern as a law student should be having a cool backpack, but I just can't see myself rolling one around.

I totally called her about that because I felt SO BAD. She really felt bad--she didn't leave her bed for three days. It's still crappy that she didnt' call and let you know. When I talked to her she felt really bad and still had an apt for you but I told her you went the University apt route. You have every right to be salty--totally understandable :)

Yeah, Seville is popular but I jus thad to share my awful experience. I have never been treated that poorly in my entire life--seriously.

Oh, and as for backpacks, there isn't a chance in HELL that I'm wheeling some pack around. No way. I'm going to get something well padded and suck it up. I'm going to rent a locker at school for sure--between books, gym clothes and other crap (coats etc..) I'll look like a bag lady if I don't.

hopeful20

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 07, 2006, 01:54:21 PM »
Has anyone received the GradPLUS loan information packet from Iowa yet?   I was just going to go through the school this first year and avoid the stress of hunting down a slightly better interest rate loan.  But now that classes will be starting in almost a month, I'm getting a little antsy in waiting.

greengrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 07, 2006, 02:24:32 PM »
Has anyone received the GradPLUS loan information packet from Iowa yet?   I was just going to go through the school this first year and avoid the stress of hunting down a slightly better interest rate loan.  But now that classes will be starting in almost a month, I'm getting a little antsy in waiting.

we should be getting them any day now (I know, lil' late in the game for me, too!). they were still printing them all out when I called at the end of June-

on another note, has anyone used the school discount to buy their computer? anyone get the D620? I think I"m going to go with that one, seeing as you can get it for next to nothing, however it seems heavy. I dunno

oh! and did anyone else get the email about sending an official transcript??? i'm confused--I thought I did that with LSAC when I applied??

Kevin26.2

• Sr. Citizen
  • i love this movie
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 07, 2006, 02:39:09 PM »
i ended up getting a mac, so i didn't use the schools discount thing. i'll probably use it for software though.

and yes, i got the transcript email, and was perturbed as well. we send all of if to the LSAC! in addition, didn't we send them a dean's verification from our undergrad insitution?

oh well. yet another headache as i try to find my immunization as well.

anyway, i hope yalls financial, academic, and moving preparations are going well.
Iowa Law Class of '09

hopeful20

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 07, 2006, 03:06:11 PM »
immunization?  do we really have to do that?  i remember having that requirement when i entered UG, but didn't remember really doing anything to meet the requirement.

as for the transcript request email, i also got one too.  i guess they just want an "official" one, as the one they get from LSDAS is a copy - i don't even know if LSDAS sends them the exact copy either - they may just send the LSDAS formatted version of our transcript.  also a good amount of students applied during their senior year in UG, so the UG degree requirement was not listed on their transcript they provided LSDAS.  just go to your UG's registrar's website and request an official transcript - it only takes a few minutes, and for my school, i just had to fill out an online form and paid through my credit card. 

i'll probably get my software from the school too.  i'm very excited that we get that free antivirus program (if i recall correctly).  i've only had my current laptop for a year, so i dont think i'm in the market for a new one just yet.

another question, are you guys going to register your car in iowa?  my registration in CA just ended in june, so i was forced to buy the renewal registration for CA for another year. 

all this moving and law school preparation stress is insane.  i think i'll need a nice massage by the end of it - wonder if iowa has a spa or something around the area.   ::)

greengrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 07, 2006, 04:20:19 PM »
immunization?  do we really have to do that?  i remember having that requirement when i entered UG, but didn't remember really doing anything to meet the requirement.

as for the transcript request email, i also got one too.  i guess they just want an "official" one, as the one they get from LSDAS is a copy - i don't even know if LSDAS sends them the exact copy either - they may just send the LSDAS formatted version of our transcript.  also a good amount of students applied during their senior year in UG, so the UG degree requirement was not listed on their transcript they provided LSDAS.  just go to your UG's registrar's website and request an official transcript - it only takes a few minutes, and for my school, i just had to fill out an online form and paid through my credit card. 

i'll probably get my software from the school too.  i'm very excited that we get that free antivirus program (if i recall correctly).  i've only had my current laptop for a year, so i dont think i'm in the market for a new one just yet.

another question, are you guys going to register your car in iowa?  my registration in CA just ended in june, so i was forced to buy the renewal registration for CA for another year. 

all this moving and law school preparation stress is insane.  i think i'll need a nice massage by the end of it - wonder if iowa has a spa or something around the area.   ::)

yeah i called and took care of the transcript today and will have my innumization forms sent from my old dr. you've probably had the shots you just need to get proof.

just had to reregister my car, too. eventually we will need to register in iowa and get a new license. i'm going to put that off as long as i can :)

hopeful20

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 07, 2006, 04:24:15 PM »

yeah i called and took care of the transcript today and will have my innumization forms sent from my old dr. you've probably had the shots you just need to get proof.

just had to reregister my car, too. eventually we will need to register in iowa and get a new license. i'm going to put that off as long as i can :)

i think i may have missed something...there's an immunization form?  did you download it from the school's website or was this something i should have received?  hmm, very confused.