Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hey, who's still excited about Iowa?!?  (Read 12333 times)

gcs451

• View Profile
Re: Hey, who's still excited about Iowa?!?
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2006, 11:54:23 AM »
Don't buy your furniture from Walmart or Ikea, which is overpriced and crappy.  All you have to do is drive around on a Sat. and go to garage sales or there are lots of used/antique shops all over Iowa.  You can buy old furniture pieces for cheap, and it is much better quality and better looking then Ikea/Walmart.  You can find some really great deals if you drive out to the smaller towns.  Can also find some good stuff at decent prices at the Amana Colonies, but it will be a bit pricey.

yes, you can for sure drive around with a pickup truck if you have time and frequent the garage sales and such. maybe i'm a brat, but as much as I detest Walmart I'm really weird about buying used furniture for my house. antique is one thing-furniture sitting out on a lawn is another. If you need an entire set (living room or bedroom) then I would even look at one of the larger, cheaper chain stores but I thought you were looking for just isolated pieces. there is a large mall in corralville so i'm guessing there is a JCPenneys or Sears or somethign that might have some summer sales on furniture--some of those places will even do free delivery which is a great bonus.

I see you edited your last response.  And sorry I was not trying to be judgmental of anyone's shopping choices, I go on this site usually when I'm at work, so sometimes I don't really read what I write before I hit post. So I did not mean for my comments to come off sounding mean.  I do detest Wal-mart with a passion (especially after having lived in several rural parts of the country) however, I would never hold it against someone for shopping there (or other large chain stores), especially if there on a budget.  My comments were actualy based more on my own experiences of moving from Chicago to rural Iowa.  When I first arrived in Iowa I did most of my shopping for dorm living at Wal-mart and soon realized that I could have saved a lot more money and purchased better stuff if I bought local.  By local I mean local stores, used furniture stores, garage sales, etc.  However, if that is not your style or it is easier and cheaper to go to larger chain stores, (I will admit that buying local can be more time consuming) by all means do so, don't let my ramblings on a chat board make you feel like you have to be defensive. 

University of Iowa Class of 2009

greengrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2006, 12:04:49 PM »
Don't buy your furniture from Walmart or Ikea, which is overpriced and crappy.  All you have to do is drive around on a Sat. and go to garage sales or there are lots of used/antique shops all over Iowa.  You can buy old furniture pieces for cheap, and it is much better quality and better looking then Ikea/Walmart.  You can find some really great deals if you drive out to the smaller towns.  Can also find some good stuff at decent prices at the Amana Colonies, but it will be a bit pricey.

yes, you can for sure drive around with a pickup truck if you have time and frequent the garage sales and such. maybe i'm a brat, but as much as I detest Walmart I'm really weird about buying used furniture for my house. antique is one thing-furniture sitting out on a lawn is another. If you need an entire set (living room or bedroom) then I would even look at one of the larger, cheaper chain stores but I thought you were looking for just isolated pieces. there is a large mall in corralville so i'm guessing there is a JCPenneys or Sears or somethign that might have some summer sales on furniture--some of those places will even do free delivery which is a great bonus.

I see you edited your last response.  And sorry I was not trying to be judgmental of anyone's shopping choices, I go on this site usually when I'm at work, so sometimes I don't really read what I write before I hit post. So I did not mean for my comments to come off sounding mean.  I do detest Wal-mart with a passion (especially after having lived in several rural parts of the country) however, I would never hold it against someone for shopping there (or other large chain stores), especially if there on a budget.  My comments were actualy based more on my own experiences of moving from Chicago to rural Iowa.  When I first arrived in Iowa I did most of my shopping for dorm living at Wal-mart and soon realized that I could have saved a lot more money and purchased better stuff if I bought local.  By local I mean local stores, used furniture stores, garage sales, etc.  However, if that is not your style or it is easier and cheaper to go to larger chain stores, (I will admit that buying local can be more time consuming) by all means do so, don't let my ramblings on a chat board make you feel like you have to be defensive. 

i didnt' mean to be a female dog either which is why i edited my response. however, it struck me as a bit rude, less to me and more the OP who had asked for the closest IKEA. not a big deal at all..everyone has their own style. refinishing old furniture is a lot of fun, actually--it's amazing what you can do with a hand sander and some stain. my style is far from Ikea or Walmart  ;) my BUDGET however, both in time and money, is lovin' the Ikea :)

gcs451

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2006, 01:07:57 PM »
So when do you think Iowa will start sending out stuff to new students.  My work load is starting to dwindle (a lot of my attorneys don't want me to start on new cases since I'm leaving) and it would be really nice to be able to sift through materials on orientation, health insurance, classes, etc. Just bought a copy of Friedman's History of American Law, thought it might be an interesting read before law school starts.
University of Iowa Class of 2009

Kevin26.2

• Sr. Citizen
  • i love this movie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2006, 02:13:23 PM »
So when do you think Iowa will start sending out stuff to new students.  My work load is starting to dwindle (a lot of my attorneys don't want me to start on new cases since I'm leaving) and it would be really nice to be able to sift through materials on orientation, health insurance, classes, etc. Just bought a copy of Friedman's History of American Law, thought it might be an interesting read before law school starts.

good question. I hope they send something soon. The LAST thing I want to deal with is a last minute scramble to get things in order while I'm trying to move. History of American law sounds interesting. I picked up a few books myself, but I'd much rather be having fun with my last few months of freedom than studying law.
Iowa Law Class of '09

blocke123

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2006, 02:26:42 PM »

good question. I hope they send something soon. The LAST thing I want to deal with is a last minute scramble to get things in order while I'm trying to move. History of American law sounds interesting. I picked up a few books myself, but I'd much rather be having fun with my last few months of freedom than studying law.

Well, I still haven't been able to finalize my decision about Iowa but I'm really hoping i can go.  If my wife can find a job then I'm all set.  I'm lining up my moving truck this week and should be ready to move end of July. 

I've received reading information from my other school but nothing from Iowa.  I e-mailed them to ask if there is anything coming up and they said they didn't have anything yet, this was a few weeks ago.  I hope they don't expect us to simply show up... I still haven't secured an apartment or bought any books.. I'm anxious!

Wants to meet me under the bleachers: DePaul ($$$), John Marshall ($$$ withdrawn), American, Miami (withdrawn), IOWA, Kent ($$)
Wants to meet me by the bike rack: Indiana
Told me they need to wash their hair: Loyola

hopeful20

• Toast for tomorrow, but drink for today.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2006, 03:28:25 PM »
thanks for all the comments about ikea and such, they were all honestly helpful.  i think i will buy my bed from ikea or a chain store, but maybe the not so immediately necessary furniture locally, and all the small stuff from walmart (bedding, kitchen appliances, etc.)

Terabithia

• Sr. Citizen
  • Wondering and Wishing
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2006, 07:46:31 PM »
Any word when we will hear any info from them??

i'm glad to hear your trip went well Kevin! ;0)

So Ikea is about 3 hours away huh? I guess i'll have to make a trip.

I'm getting excited here!

OingoBoingo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2006, 08:56:10 PM »
oh count me IN on the steak--yum. one fresh cow and a bottle of red wine please :)

i'll be around starting August 1st; at some point we should all try to meet up and, I dunno...go cow tipping? what the hell do people DO in Iowa??

Well for one, we could go see the covered bridges of Madison County. Two, we could go to the outlet mall in Williamsburg. Thats all I got, haha.

But we should have an LSD meet-and-greet for sure. I'll be in town the on the 11th-ish or so.

I'll be in town around the 7th. I'm planning on driving the little stuff that I have up in my car with my friend. She's never been outside of California, so I definitely want to show her how the rest of the US is, haha. I've lived in Kansas and Nebraska, so I know what to expect.

Where are everyone getting their furniture? or are you guys uhauling all your furniture to iowa? I'll need to find a place that can ship me at bare minimum a bed, couch, and desk. Is there an ikea near by?

the closest Ikea is in Chicago, Schaumburg, actually, (ten minutes from where i live now). you could easily drive out here once you get in Iowa City or just have it shipped. it's a straight shot from Iowa City to the western suburbs of Chicago..come to think of it the new Ikea in Bollingbrook would probably be even closer to Iowa City. It's three hours in the country where the speed limits are 70 mph--beautiful drive actually :)

Ikea does not ship. :( Only a very small part of what they sell can be bought on line and shipped, 90% of it must be bought at a store. Makes me mad, its like 1000 miles to the one closest to me.

Matthias,

You're in Denver right? Next spring there should be an Ikea opening up in Salt Lake - then you'd be only 500 miles away :)

Oingo
"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."

IowaGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2006, 10:47:24 PM »
I am soooooooooo glad to hear that y'all have not received anything yet (although it is annoying).  I was beginning to get paranoid that maybe I had missed something.

As for Iowa City, I have worked in the city the past three years...it really is a nice place to live.  It's very pretty, lots of interesting events for a town its size, and some really good restaurants/coffee shops/bars.  Let me know if you have any specific questions!   :D

Terabithia

• Sr. Citizen
  • Wondering and Wishing
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2006, 11:58:00 PM »
I am soooooooooo glad to hear that y'all have not received anything yet (although it is annoying).  I was beginning to get paranoid that maybe I had missed something.

As for Iowa City, I have worked in the city the past three years...it really is a nice place to live.  It's very pretty, lots of interesting events for a town its size, and some really good restaurants/coffee shops/bars.  Let me know if you have any specific questions!   :D

lol, and  I am soo glad to hear that the town is pretty ok.

oh, i'm getting excited!!