Harper

• works every time
    • AOL Instant Messenger - harperfan02138
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harperfan02138
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: #49 on the master LR list
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2006, 12:19:12 PM »
I'm a self-selected under-represented minority on this one.

The key is to know the exact wording of the conclusion, which very few people seem to remember (though I've seen people who are somehow 99-100% certain on both sides of the argument).

I remember it being something like, "Therefore, people who do not compare themselves to others are not dismissive or (negative characteristic B)."  Well - couldn't they be that way for other reasons?  That led me to think it was the 'alternate cause' answer.  

If you are correct, the alternate cause choice is correct, and that's probably why I chose it. How confident are you?

99-100%, of course!    ;)

dusya4

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2006, 12:19:45 PM »
If the conclusion was really, "People should not compare themselves to others," then I don't know how so many of us could be dumb enough to choose the "alternate cause" choice. That wouldn't be right at all. But now I'm justifying it by assuming I didn't make that mistake. Blech.

I'm pretty sure that's what the conclusion said so yeah I dismissed the alternate cause answer right away. But for the life of me I can't remember which answer I did choose

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2006, 12:36:21 PM »
I too choose the alternate cause answer, but at this point I really can't remember why

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2006, 12:42:26 PM »
I was neither with the majority, nor the minority.  I chose a third option.

As best I can recall (no one has mentioned this yet) there was an option that says the author " overlooks the fact that a person can, at the same time, both compare himself with those that are better than him and those that are worse than him."

that's the flaw because, the author said: if you do A you get B.  If you do C you get D.  D and B are bad, so you should NEVER do either A or C.  But if you do both at ONCE, the effects would cancel eachother out...and you wouldn't get the bad effects, D and B.  That's what i put for that one.

polkadot

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2006, 12:44:10 PM »
I have no recollection of that answer...are you sure it's a different one rather than just being confused if we are getting the wording wrong?

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2006, 12:48:49 PM »
mike245, I thought I agreed with your reasoning in the main thread. However, now I don't for some reason. I really don't know why, maybe my brain is just fried now.

I think these are the two choices under debate:

1) "Presumes that someone compare oneself to people who are neither better nor worse than oneself."

2) "Ignores the possibility of an alternate cause of self-deprecation or arrogance" (something along those lines)

Oops, yes, I meant cannot in the first option.  I still think that both options describe errors.  But to me, the mistaken negation contained in the intermediate conclusion is the more egregious error.  Basically, I saw the argument as this:

Premise 1: People who compare against better people = self-deprecating
Premise 2: People who compare against worse people = arrogant/judgmental/non-accepting
Intermediate Conclusion: People who DO NOT compare against anyone = self-accepting and non-judgmental (MISTAKEN NEGATION)
Main Conclusion: We should not compare ourselves to others

Because the intermediate conclusion is false, that makes the final conclusion false too.

That's why I chose the alternate cause answer.

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2006, 12:49:50 PM »
well...you may have gotten the wording wrong regardless.  I too may have the wording wrong.  But as far as i understand it, the answer i described above is logicaly distinct from the ones being currently bandied about.

soooo...ya i think it was an answer.  I think it was the one i chose.  And though i'm far from saying i'm 100% right.  I do still think it was correct.  My reasoning is there for you to see.

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2006, 12:51:40 PM »
Like I said, I feel certain the conclusion involved "People should not compare themselves to others", which is just too broad of a statement to make as compared to "People should not compare themselves to those whoa re more or less able"

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2006, 12:56:13 PM »
Like I said, I feel certain the conclusion involved "People should not compare themselves to others", which is just too broad of a statement to make as compared to "People should not compare themselves to those whoa re more or less able"

I would agree with you if there had not been that false intermediate conclusion immediately following.

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2006, 12:58:43 PM »
Something had to have been worded funny with one of the answer choices then because they wouldn't put two flaws and then two answers to two separate flaws.