Law School Discussion

#49 on the master LR list

Schruted

• I love her.
    • View Profile
Re: #49 on the master LR list
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2006, 12:06:13 PM »
mike245, I thought I agreed with your reasoning in the main thread. However, now I don't for some reason. I really don't know why, maybe my brain is just fried now.

I think these are the two choices under debate:

1) "Presumes that someone compare oneself to people who are neither better nor worse than oneself."

2) "Ignores the possibility of an alternate cause of self-deprecation or arrogance" (something along those lines)

That #1 doesn't sound right to me--the gist was more like "Presumes that someone cannotcompare oneself to people who are neither better nor worse"

Sorry, typo. I left out "cannot".

Harper

• works every time
    • AOL Instant Messenger - harperfan02138
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - harperfan02138
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2006, 12:07:04 PM »
I'm a self-selected under-represented minority on this one.

The key is to know the exact wording of the conclusion, which very few people seem to remember (though I've seen people who are somehow 99-100% certain on both sides of the argument).

I remember it being something like, "Therefore, people who do not compare themselves to others are not dismissive or (negative characteristic B)."  Well - couldn't they be that way for other reasons?  That led me to think it was the 'alternate cause' answer.  

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2006, 12:07:19 PM »
The answer I put down said something like "It presumes that people compare themselves to others."  Very simple, if they don't compare themselves, the entire argument is moot. I felt pretty good about it...

rena123

• i <3 cindy sherman
    • View Profile
    • lsn
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2006, 12:09:03 PM »
The answer I put down said something like "It presumes that people compare themselves to others."  Very simple, if they don't compare themselves, the entire argument is moot. I felt pretty good about it...

i disagree.  the argument is conditional statements about the consequences of people comparing themselves to others, so all that is needed is for it to be possible to compare oneself to others, not for people to actually do it.

Schruted

• I love her.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2006, 12:09:41 PM »
I'm a self-selected under-represented minority on this one.

The key is to know the exact wording of the conclusion, which very few people seem to remember (though I've seen people who are somehow 99-100% certain on both sides of the argument).

I remember it being something like, "Therefore, people who do not compare themselves to others are not dismissive or (negative characteristic B)."  Well - couldn't they be that way for other reasons?  That led me to think it was the 'alternate cause' answer.  

If you are correct, the alternate cause choice is correct, and that's probably why I chose it. How confident are you?

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2006, 12:09:41 PM »
the reason i went with the minority opinion is that, as i remember it, the conclusion was "those who do not compare themselves to others will be neither whatever nor derisive (or whatever those two things were), so you should not compare yourself to others".  which made it seem like "people who do not compare themselves to others won't be those two bad things" was the main conclusion and that the author was assuming there was no other reason to be those two bad things.  wow, that was convoluted.

but i'm doubting my answer now.  i don't remember the stimulus well enough to be entirely sure, but it definitely seems possible that i interpreted it totally wrong.

polkadot

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2006, 12:11:50 PM »
I remember the conclusion as "people can never compare themselves to others because they will then be A or B"--all I know is I immediately went, "that old dog," since it was such a routine LSAT trick, someone going overboard in their argument and assuming something.

Schruted

• I love her.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2006, 12:13:19 PM »
If the conclusion was really, "People should not compare themselves to others," then I don't know how so many of us could be dumb enough to choose the "alternate cause" choice. That wouldn't be right at all. But now I'm justifying it by assuming I didn't make that mistake. Blech.

Bork

• Monkey Stealing My Stuff
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2006, 12:14:01 PM »
I'm an alternate cause guy myself.

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2006, 12:15:05 PM »
exactly.  i can't believe i would have been that stupid.  but anything's possible with the level of stress i was working with.