Law School Discussion

#49 on the master LR list

Schruted

• I love her.
    • View Profile
#49 on the master LR list
« on: June 14, 2006, 11:24:19 AM »
Comparing self to others. Comparing to better people makes you feel inferior. Comparing to worse people makes you arrogant. Conclusion: Should not compare self to others. What is the flaw in the reasoning? (This is obviously a terrible recollection of the wording.)

Let's try to get a consensus on this. In the post mortem there's a lot of people - I'd even say the majority - agreeing with the minority opinion.

rena123

• i <3 cindy sherman
    • View Profile
    • lsn
Re: #49 on the master LR list
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 11:26:38 AM »
i'm with the minority.

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 11:27:46 AM »
What were the choices for this one? I don't remember any of them  :-\

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 11:53:41 AM »
I am also with the minority.  I think that the consensus answer address scope, which IMO is a minor flaw compared to the flaw in the intermediate conclusion (mistaken negation).  If a premise is obviously logically false, then the conclusion must be flawed.

polkadot

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 11:55:59 AM »
I strongly believe the correct answer was the one that said the flaw was the person assuming people could never compare themselves to anyone--not sure whether this is minority or majority, but 99% sure that it is correct.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 11:58:17 AM »
I strongly believe the correct answer was the one that said the flaw was the person assuming people could never compare themselves to anyone--not sure whether this is minority or majority, but 99% sure that it is correct.

This wasn't an answer choice.  Are you thinking of the answer choice that was something like, "It presumes that a person cannot compare oneself to people who are neither better than or worse than the person" ?

polkadot

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 12:00:02 PM »

This wasn't an answer choice.  Are you thinking of the answer choice that was something like, "It presumes that a person cannot compare oneself to people who are neither better than or worse than the person" ?

Yes, this is the one I mean.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2006, 12:01:33 PM »
What were the choices for this one? I don't remember any of them  :-\

I vaguely remember three of the answer choices:

(1) Presumes that you can be accepting of some people without being accepting of others.

(2) Presumes there is no other reason to be self-accepting and accepting of others

(3) Presumes that you cannot compare yourself to people who are like you, rather than better or worse

Schruted

• I love her.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2006, 12:02:28 PM »
mike245, I thought I agreed with your reasoning in the main thread. However, now I don't for some reason. I really don't know why, maybe my brain is just fried now.

I think these are the two choices under debate:

1) "Presumes that someone compare oneself to people who are neither better nor worse than oneself."

2) "Ignores the possibility of an alternate cause of self-deprecation or arrogance" (something along those lines)

polkadot

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2006, 12:03:58 PM »
mike245, I thought I agreed with your reasoning in the main thread. However, now I don't for some reason. I really don't know why, maybe my brain is just fried now.

I think these are the two choices under debate:

1) "Presumes that someone compare oneself to people who are neither better nor worse than oneself."

2) "Ignores the possibility of an alternate cause of self-deprecation or arrogance" (something along those lines)

That #1 doesn't sound right to me--the gist was more like "Presumes that someone cannotcompare oneself to people who are neither better nor worse"