Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Need Help!!! Anyone from Detroit????  (Read 601 times)

corbabe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Need Help!!! Anyone from Detroit????
« on: June 14, 2006, 12:49:41 PM »
I will be attending the University of Detroit Mercy in the fall and I am currently trying to find an apartment downtown.  Are their any areas that I should avoid.  So far a few places that I have found have been the Kales, Lafayette Towers, Lafayette Pavillion, and Town Apartments, they all seem pretty reasonable.  Thank you so much for any help.  I am truly lost.

amaizinbluechick19

• View Profile
Re: Need Help!!! Anyone from Detroit????
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 01:02:52 PM »
I've lived in a suburb of Detroit for most of my life.  I don't think I would ever live downtown, personally -- although there are some nicer areas, I think overall security is pretty poor.  I would suggest getting a place in a suburb and commuting in.  Is this an option for you?  All of my friends who attend school in Detroit commute in.  If you are interested in the suburbs, I'd look at Saint Clair Shores, the Grosse Pointes (a little pricier, but you can find some good deals), certain areas of Warren, and maybe even Royal Oak (depending on how long you wanted your drive to be).

HTH!
Accepted: IU-Bloomington ($), Case ($$), American
Waitlisted: ND, Wash&Lee
Rejected: Northwestern, GWU, UNC

loveless

• Sr. Citizen
  • Law school is NICE!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 01:13:33 PM »
Really, living downtown is not so hot. My girlfriend has done it for 2 years now and constantly complains. Generally, it's just a pain. There are no good grocery stores. Need a Home Depot? Get in your car and drive to the suburbs. Ditto for any type of shopping or movie theater. There's not a great selection of restaraunts or any ammenities for that matter. What you make up in convenience by being right by UDM you'll lose in the sheer inconvenience of everyday life... Detroit is really that dead, and I sadly know from boatloads of experience.

I would live in the south suburbs right off a highway (I-75 or the 9-4) and do the 15-30 min commute in each day. Typically, you won't be in/would be able to avoid rush hour traffic, especially with a short commute, and it would make your life actually a lot more convenient/enjoyable. If I were you, I'd get an apartment in Ferndale or Royal Oak -- since these areas have a "main drag" so-to-speak there's a lot of conveniences all within a short drive or even walk of where you live, and UDM's campus is only a quick drive down I-75. Sure they're a bit expensive, but you could find something reasonable a little bit off Woodward/Main Street.

A final note about living downtown: I don't really want to bring this up, but just about everyone I know has dealt with crime in Detroit -- many cars stolen, windows broken, and sadly, a few people being mugged. I really hate the fact that my girlfriend lives there, but she has to cause she has no other options really. If you must live downtown, live on or as close to Wayne State's campus as possible. WSU's crime rate isn't that bad; it's actually comparable to MSU but with a lot more carjackings. I hate to bring this up, but it is sad yet true. I used to really believe in the city growing up, but my experiences over the last two years have proven that a lot of it's bad reputation is well-deserved.
"Pre-tay, pre-tay, pre-tay good."

Attending: Michigan.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=loveless

corbabe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 03:06:38 PM »
thanks alot, I will definitly check out the burbs and see what they have to offer as well.  any other suggestions?

TheJesus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 01:40:59 PM »
Yeah, come to Royal Oak where I'm at...much nicer..