Law School Discussion

#37 on the master LR list: Objection!

paigeroo

Re: #37 on the master LR list: Objection!
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2006, 10:44:00 AM »
Ok how many others think the answer is: Goal-Oriented tasks require intelligence?

I totally understand the objection to the original majority answer because it was somewhat of a typo, but still said the same thing.  But I haven't heard much mention as to your proposed minority pick.  If I get enough responses however, I'll put it down.

polkadot

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2006, 10:44:43 AM »
I also believe the right answer was "complex goal-orientented tasks (or whatev) imply/require/signify intellegence

Bork

• Monkey Stealing My Stuff
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2006, 10:46:04 AM »
Ok how many others think the answer is: Goal-Oriented tasks require intelligence?

I totally understand the objection to the original majority answer because it was somewhat of a typo, but still said the same thing.  But I haven't heard much mention as to your proposed minority pick.  If I get enough responses however, I'll put it down.

Yep. That was the answer that I chose.

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2006, 10:51:00 AM »
"but still said the same thing"

No it doesn't, it's a mistaken reversal. That's like saying that A->B then B->A (an invalid inference.) The way the majority is worded now would be impossible to deduce, because the Question prompt said "Because someone is intelligent, it doesn't imply they have consciousness." You can't infer "Consciousness implies intelligence" from that because of the ordering/wording of the terms. *When you have two statements, such as A vs B then C vs B, the correct inference has to be a A vs C thing. Therefore, since the speaker made a jump from goal-oriented tasks vs consciousness (a vs b) and intelligence vs consciousness (c vs b), the correct answer has to link goal-oriented tasks and intelligence (a vs c). See what I'm saying?? I'm 110 percent confident this is the true TCR.

Bork

• Monkey Stealing My Stuff
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2006, 10:57:28 AM »
I'm 110 percent confident this is the true TCR.

Word Is Bond.

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2006, 11:11:46 AM »

Vote for inclusion on minority opinion (though I'm certain it's TCR :)

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2006, 11:16:36 AM »
Maybe we should run a poll.  I suspect if enough of us feel this way, it may not even be just the minority opinion...

dusya4

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2006, 11:26:47 AM »
The answer I picked was "Complex, goal-oriented tasks require intelligence."  I think it was (A).

I believe the stimulus said something like:  Some complex, goal-oriented tasks can occur without a person being aware of it.  Therefore, the fact that some animals exhibit intelligence does not imply that they have consciousness.

My reasoning: If (A) is correct, then goal-oriented tasks require intelligence, but does not imply consciousness.  Therefore, intelligence does not imply consciousness.

I picked A as well and I'm fairly convinced it's the TCR.

rena123

• i <3 cindy sherman
    • View Profile
    • lsn
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2006, 11:28:47 AM »
i don't actually remember what i picked, but i vote for A.  it really seems right.  i hope that's what i picked.

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2006, 12:01:49 PM »
i agree with the posters. intelligence does not imply consciousness was not even a choice. it was the other way around. although i think the actual letter of the correct answer was E.i was looking for something that said intelligence doesn't imply conciousness and it simply wasn't there. you can't force answer choices to say what you want.