Law School Discussion

#37 on the master LR list: Objection!

Qingu

#37 on the master LR list: Objection!
« on: June 14, 2006, 09:56:21 AM »
I am pretty sure that the answer to #37 on the master LR list was not actually an answer choice on the test.

I remember specifically looking for "intelligence does not imply consciousness," but not finding it.

Instead, I remember seeing the reverse: "consciousness does not imply intelligence," which would not be a correct answer.

I think my answer choice had something to do with an assumption about the nature or definition of "intelligence." The first part of the stimulus talked about animals learning behavior, or adapting, or somesuch. And the second part of the stimulus equated this animal behavior with "intelligence." I am pretty sure the (hopefully correct) answer listed an assumption linking the word intelligence with the type of animal behavior/adaptiveness mentioned in the first part of the stimulus.

Is this ringing any bells for anyone else?

Re: #37 on the master LR list: Objection!
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 09:59:10 AM »
i cant remember how it was worded but whichever it was, was what i picked

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 10:12:14 AM »

that's the one I picked, too. If my memory is correct, it says goal-oriented tasks require intelligence.

Also, I don't think "intelligence does not imply consciousness" is TCR because it doesnt link the premise and the conclusion.

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 10:21:22 AM »
Yeah, there is a lot of debate on the Master LR list for this question, and I'm almost certain that you are right.

Qingu

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 10:26:01 AM »

that's the one I picked, too. If my memory is correct, it says goal-oriented tasks require intelligence.

Also, I don't think "intelligence does not imply consciousness" is TCR because it doesnt link the premise and the conclusion.
Goal oriented tasks, right. That is definitely the one I picked. Yay!

And I am pretty sure that the correctness of "intelligence does not imply consciousness" is MOOT, because that was not an answer choice in the first place.

spud1987

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 10:27:40 AM »
Ya I think that #37 is wrong, but that may just be because I put the answer the OP was talking about  ;)  I just hope a lot of these LR's are wrong b/c than the list would be worthless.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 10:27:43 AM »
The answer I picked was "Complex, goal-oriented tasks require intelligence."  I think it was (A).

I believe the stimulus said something like:  Some complex, goal-oriented tasks can occur without a person being aware of it.  Therefore, the fact that some animals exhibit intelligence does not imply that they have consciousness.

My reasoning: If (A) is correct, then goal-oriented tasks require intelligence, but does not imply consciousness.  Therefore, intelligence does not imply consciousness.

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2006, 10:35:48 AM »
I picked A also. pretty certain the current CR is not only incorrect, but not even an answer choice. The 2 statements had a missing link: he/she talked went from comparing consciousness to goal-oriented stuff, then he jumped to comparing consciousness to intelligence.  The correct answer had to link intelligence and goal-oriented tasks, or else his reasoning wouldn't make any sense.  The correct response was something like "goal oriented actions (tasks?) require intelligence."

paigeroo

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2006, 10:37:44 AM »
I'll change it to consciousness does not imply intelligence for the maj. 

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2006, 10:41:16 AM »
Paigeroo, I'd recommend you put a minority opinion for A ("Goal-Oriented tasks require intelligence") as discussed above. Thanks :)