Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Some inconvenient truths…for Gore  (Read 2374 times)

gillesthegreat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Some inconvenient truths…for Gore
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2006, 11:46:43 AM »
Allthatjazz ... you will probably think this doesn't mean anything, or maybe even reinforces your argument, but have a quick glance at the advertisers featured on that page (canadianfreepress). Now, for fun, go look at the advertisers on newsmax.com. Any similarity? Does that tell you anything about who's behind those sites? About their motives?
Penn (2007)

aerynn

• Sr. Citizen
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2006, 01:14:00 PM »
A legit criticism of the article:

It states that the hypothesis that increased levels of human-created CO2 causes climate change is not valid.  Then it cites scientific evidence that some places are getting cooler or changing in other ways.  There are a number of climatologists that think the CO2 rise will ultimately lead to an ice age.  Ice age is still bad and we should still reduce CO2 emissions.
Here's how it went for me for Fall 2006 admission:
168/3.67
In: Emory($$), UGA ($), W&M ($$), GW($)
Waitlisted:American(W), UVA (W)
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn

terralily

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2006, 01:39:35 PM »
I did read the article and I could spend the time to in-depth research the people named in the article as well as the writer.  But you see I use this board as a distraction at work.  Have you noticed that for the most part my posts are between the hours of 9am and 6pm and only Mon- Fri.  No, there is no reason that you would.  My point is I don't have the time(nor the inclination at this point) to do the research to refute the accusations.  As an educated individual.  I am partial to the findings of the thousands of scientists that are a part of the IPCC(Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change).  Note the term they use.  Climate Change.  Are any scientist 100% certain what the climate is going to do?  No they would be bad scientist to persume with 100% certainty that anything will happen.  Are they fairly certain that there is an increase to histroical levels of CO2?  Yes.   Are they also fairly certain that beginning with the  industrial revolution those levels have begun to increase?  Yes.  Ergo, are they fairly certain that humans are causing the increase of CO2?  Yes.

The only people who want to keep their head in the sand are those profiting from industries that rely on fossil fuels and greenhouse gas emmissions.  Do I understand why they feel this way?  Sure.  Do I blame them?  You bet I do, but I also blame myself. We're all at fault and until we can start taking personal resonsibility for our actions we're screwed. 

As for the putz comment. I'm Jewish and I have lost of Jewish friends.  Putz, schmuck, oy vey.  These words are in my vernacular.  I really had no intention of echoing Julie ::shudder::

cheers
Windy City here I come....DePaul it is!!!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=terralily

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2006, 02:48:01 PM »
Look, theres Julie Fern with her witty one-liners that have no intellectual bearing on the conversation.

OP has taken a topic, and chosen a side, and has backed it up. Julie on the other hand says "you putz. enjoy nice warm summer this year."

Yeah that is about what you'd expect from a guy who pretends to be a female on a law school message board.

Ok Julie, hit me with those oh-so-funny "preppie" jokes. Or something about my mother? Maybe surprise me with <gasp> something new?

Or how about you address the original post instead of offering up idiotic statements that are of no help to anyone.

good day to you, too, mr. attorney impersonator.

taking time out from stepping on ants?

guyminuslife

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2006, 04:25:08 AM »
Global warming cannot be attributed to human activity, and it does not exist, because clearly the Bible in Genesis says that it is breaks down into irreducibly complex components. Besides which, Greenpeace and the ACLU are simply trying to destroy the sacred institution of marriage by taxing the most productive members of society and giving welfare checks to gun-control advocates.

guyminuslife

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2006, 04:26:21 AM »
And don't even get me started on terrorists and criminals!

philibusters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2006, 10:15:35 AM »
Tim Flannery was just on the daily show promoting his new book on the topic .  Feynman is one of the experts in the field.  I like reading science books and many of them mention global warming and other things mentioned in this article.  For the most part I believe from what I read global warming is a geological process, but things like astronomy (the wobble of the earth, the tilt of the earth also effect how much sunlight the earth receives) and human processes can also effect global temperature.  I believe the article was misleading in saying that co2 were high at the dawn of the cambrian age because it was the co2 put into the air by a series of valconoes that helped to end that billion year ice age (actually scientist don't know that for sure, unlike evolution which has a ton of evidence, this is just the most plausible theory given the evidence in existence) and made earth more modern by our standards.  It wasn't there were high level of c02 during the ice age, it was that the co2 helped end that ice age and the start of the tetonic rumblings obviously shared a small amount of period in time with the ice age it was causing to come to an end.

Most global warming and cooling takes place because of geolgoical processes like volcanoes putting co2 into the air, for example the severe ice age 10 million years ago that ended only 10,000 year ago was caused by the rise of the himalyas when india collided with asia, the himalyas are tall and changed wind direction in a ton of important ways, furthermore, the isthumus of panama rose out of the sea and that changed the ocean routes because before that the pacific and atlantic meant, whenever oceans patterns are thrown off it vastly changes the weather. When those two things happened at roughly the same time, lots of things changed (including large parts of africa turning from jungle to savannah and apes learning to walk to deal with the changed environment).

For the past 40 million years or so we have been in a bit of ice age in that there are places on earth with ice year round, something that didn't happen for most of the time dinosaurs were on the earth for example (the dinosaurs did endure their own 50 million year ice age though), and during the past 40 million years we have varied from moderate ice age, like today, to severe ice age like the one that ended 10 million years ago.  I think I saw the number somewhere that humans are producing 3 to 4 % of the co2 in the air, co2 is a greenhouse gas which has the short term effect of causing global warming.  How important a 3 to 4% increase is and what the long term effects are relatively unknown, but its very dangerous to say the least to mess with geologic processes because we might be throwing it off the earths natural processes and lead the world to become a dried desert or it might lead to a huge ice age or might not be enough of an influence to really mess with the earth's natural processes at all-from what I understand, nobody really knows.
2008 graduate of William and Mary Law School

terralily

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2006, 03:09:14 PM »
Of course...because things can't be definitively proven we should just sit back on our lazy asses and let the world go to *&^% around us because we're too selfish to take some accountablity and and have chosen to wait for this definitive evidence.  Maybe we do deserve to be wiped out.   :-*
Windy City here I come....DePaul it is!!!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=terralily

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2006, 08:24:27 PM »
hey, who care that poles and greenland melting?  we going  need that ice for cubes anyway.

Happy_Weasel

• LSD Obsessed
  • Me and Gir, the happy weasel.
    • MSN Messenger - ominusdemon2@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2006, 08:33:35 PM »
ehhh..what are you gunna do?