Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How long after application before a decision is rendered?  (Read 1269 times)

pworth

• View Profile
How long after application before a decision is rendered?
« on: February 03, 2004, 05:15:52 PM »
Just wanted to get a sense of what everyone thought was a good period of time vs a lengthy period of time on receiving notification about an admission decision? My other question, what do you think my chances are to schools like st. thomas, roger williams, new england school of law, thomas jefferson, with 2.5 gpa, 145 lsat score and 2 great lors. Not much else on app besides study abroad, and a few volunteer group memberships. Finally, are there any schools of quality that I may be missing on that list? Thanks, Paul

David Bakody

• LSAT 151 GPA 3.53
    • View Profile
Re: How long after application before a decision is rendered?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2004, 06:10:49 PM »
It could take as long as 3 months.  Yes.  Three months.  Painful, I know.  Now, with that said, I talked with an admissions person at Marquette (my long shot school) and he indicated that turn around times were running about 3 to 5 weeks.

I think 8 weeks is about the norm from what I've heard, but some schools are faster than others.  I've heard somewhere else on this board that the schools in California are famous for being slow... very, very slow.

valerie098

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2004, 10:12:35 AM »
What is your undergrad school? Just out of curiousity. I have similar numbers to you and I also applied to Roger Williams. For me, it seems that the longer they take the better your chances. I've already received 3 rejections within 3 weeks of my app being complete. In fact, I don't think I even received notices that my application was complete from these schools (Capital, Florida Coastal and Akron). However, I got waitlisted at Case Western....how strange is that?? The schools you listed seem within your range but still might be cutting it close.

Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2004, 11:10:26 AM »
From looking at posts from the previous admission year on this site, it seems as though Case Western puts a lot of students on their waitlist.  I know students who were waitlisted with 140's and 3.0's, along with students with 160's and 4.0's!  They don't seem to make sense.  I also do not believe that they have a truly defined pecking order for their waitlisted students.  Thus, if you want to go there, I would write a follow up letter.  Perhaps they are a school that actually pays a great deal of attention to things other than numbers...