Law School Discussion

Rockie

• Scream for me LSD!
    • View Profile
Re: MASTER LR LIST- 42 TO GO!
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2006, 06:15:28 PM »
What does C say? I remember I picked the one that only the best is beautiful.

I disagree with #1. It shouldn't matter what's the MOST beautiful. The assumption is simply that "the best" = "beautiful". That's where the scope shift comes in. I could be wrong but Im not the only one who thinks its C.

Thats the one "Only the best art is beautiful". Because then it makes sense that beauty does not equal truth because the most realistic art is not the best art. If only the best art is the only one that could be beautiful, then it would have to be true that truth does not equal beauty.
A was a shell I think, THE MOST beautiful? We're not assuming degrees of beauty here, just what makes "the best" analogous to "beautiful". I could be wrong but Im sure convinced it was "C".

Rockie

• Scream for me LSD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2006, 06:16:51 PM »
Anyone remember the "similar flaw in the reasoning" question where all the answers involved Mary and her classmates? I can't remember specifics, but the flawed reasoning was something like "Most of Mary's classmates are happy. Most happy people are fun. Thus, at least one of Mary's classmates is fun."

Answer A seemed right, but I was pressed for time, so I didn't check any other answers. Answer A also seemed like the simplest answer, so I'm having doubts.

They were all very similar phrasing, but the most correct ones were further down the list.  I think I picked D, but I'm not sure.

If  I remember correctly I thought it was "A" because "D" became too specific like "there is a female classmates of Molly who is fun" or whatever, which was too specific to fit the format of the stimulus.

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2006, 06:18:26 PM »

Thats the one "Only the best art is beautiful". Because then it makes sense that beauty does not equal truth because the most realistic art is not the best art. If only the best art is the only one that could be beautiful, then it would have to be true that truth does not equal beauty.
A was a shell I think, THE MOST beautiful? We're not assuming degrees of beauty here, just what makes "the best" analogous to "beautiful". I could be wrong but Im sure convinced it was "C".

the stimulus did mention something about being the best art though.  and it was an assumption Q, the answer C seems like restating the conclusion of the stimulus

FossilJ

• Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2006, 06:20:07 PM »
Anyone remember the "similar flaw in the reasoning" question where all the answers involved Mary and her classmates? I can't remember specifics, but the flawed reasoning was something like "Most of Mary's classmates are happy. Most happy people are fun. Thus, at least one of Mary's classmates is fun."

Answer A seemed right, but I was pressed for time, so I didn't check any other answers. Answer A also seemed like the simplest answer, so I'm having doubts.

They were all very similar phrasing, but the most correct ones were further down the list.  I think I picked D, but I'm not sure.

If  I remember correctly I thought it was "A" because "D" became too specific like "there is a female classmates of Molly who is fun" or whatever, which was too specific to fit the format of the stimulus.

No, I went back and matched the phrasing.  They basically just substituted words from the stimulus - changed the nouns and the verbs.  This one accommodated the phrasing.  But I was hesitant between D and E.

Re: MASTER LR LIST- 39 TO GO!
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2006, 06:20:25 PM »
da5id, i totally agree with you on the new age philosopher one.  i was starting to think i was crazy...no one even mentioned that answer...

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2006, 06:22:48 PM »
If the New Age philosopher is the one I thought it was, I strongly believed the answer was "X mistakenly assumes that if a phenomenon is x and y we must use reasoning that is x and y to understand it".

I had this but then changed it because the stimulus was prohibitive rather than prescriptive: it didn't say what we MUST use, but rather, that a system could not be thought of abstractly.  It seemed like it was saying what couldn't be used, and nothing about what could be used

Bork

• Monkey Stealing My Stuff
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2006, 06:24:20 PM »
Whoo Hoooo! Im taking a shot for every one i think i got right....so the better I did the more screwed up I'll be!!!

Schruted

• I love her.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2006, 06:24:50 PM »
Anyone remember what your last 3 letter choices were for the harder of the two LR sections?

FossilJ

• Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2006, 06:29:10 PM »
If the New Age philosopher is the one I thought it was, I strongly believed the answer was "X mistakenly assumes that if a phenomenon is x and y we must use reasoning that is x and y to understand it".

I had this but then changed it because the stimulus was prohibitive rather than prescriptive: it didn't say what we MUST use, but rather, that a system could not be thought of abstractly.  It seemed like it was saying what couldn't be used, and nothing about what could be used

Okay, someone detail the stimulus again, because I'm struggling to remember this one.

Rockie

• Scream for me LSD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2006, 06:29:53 PM »

Okay, someone detail the stimulus again, because I'm struggling to remember this one.

Me too. I had 3 LR sections and for the life of me I cant remember this New Age Philosopher.