Law School Discussion

Another computer question

Re: Another computer question
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2006, 04:19:43 PM »
I love the TrackPoint and have disabled my TouchPad because it just kept messing things up for me. The TouchPad is way too sensitive for my tastes.

Typhoon Longwang

• I have the power to stop an LSAT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2006, 04:45:06 PM »
Nope.  The mouse buttons are right below the space bar and are operated by your thumb(s).  If you don't have to move your hands to hit space, you don't have to move them for a TrackPoint.

TITCR

The trackpoint is right between the G-H-B keys and those keys are centered on the keyboard so it takes minimal movement of your index finger to get to the stick.  It takes a little more stretch to reach the left and right click buttons, but not very much.  The middle button, which activates the scroll feature, takes very little effort to reach.  In fact, I think with the T model, there's a second set of buttons below the touchpad in addition to the buttons for the pointing stick that are directly below the space bar but above the touchpad.  Some people dislike the pointing stick (my wife) but other people love the pointing stick (my brother won't buy a computer without one i.e. a Thinkpad).

In some ways, the pointing stick is the most efficient built in cursor control that exists (short of the tablet where you just touch the screen).  Touchpads take up unnecesary space and are "touchy" (pun intended) and rolling balls aren't used anymore in laptops.

OingoBoingo

• Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2006, 08:59:19 PM »
on a side note, I haven't used a trackpoint, but the idea of it really turns me off. Everything about the Lenovo x60 seems great except the lack of touchpad. Can anyone who uses a trackpoint instead of a touchpad tell me what you think of it? If you can convince me I don't need a touchpad, I'd be open to that idea. Thanks!

I have been using a trackpoint on the Leveno X41 tablet for the past 3 months. My experience has been positive. I hate touchpads - my hand goes into cramps just thinking about using one. Much less so with the trackpoint. In fact, I rarely if ever bring out my portable mouse even during periods where my laptop just sits on the kitchen table for a few days.

My wife's laptop has to have the worlds most annoying touchpad. Personally, if i had to use one i would at least get one that allow one-touch vertical and horizontal scrolling. Otherwise I can honestly say that I do not miss, not for a second, having a touchpad on my laptop.

Oingo

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2006, 09:23:15 PM »
Wow, thanks. This has all been unbelievably helpful. I was basically SOLD on not getting a Lenovo X series solely because of the lack of touchpad, but your comments have gone a long way in convincing me that I could be okay without it. Also, Typhoon, your comment about the 30 day guarantee is great --- I think I'm going to try an X series, and if I can't deal with the lack of touchpad then I'll just send it back and go get myself a Sony!

Saving hose 2 pounds (the diff b/w a Lenovo X series and a Sony SX series) should go a long way in the long run!

Okay thanks again, all!!!

Typhoon Longwang

• I have the power to stop an LSAT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2006, 09:29:33 PM »
30 day guarantee is great

Definitely check on the exact terms of the return/exchange policy before you commit money, but it sounds like people have been able to return/exchange without any difficulty.

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2006, 11:07:43 PM »
My opinion:

Buy a mouse, none of that beats the mouse, and they have tons of tiny mice that are all easier to use than the touchpad/trackpoint.

I personally got a Logitech wireless mouse and it's awesome.