Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Best T14's for married students  (Read 3251 times)

James Madison

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Best T14's for married students
« on: June 12, 2006, 12:08:47 AM »
Anybody have any feedback on this topic?  I'm currently considering all of the T14s except for Cornell and Michigan (Don't want to live in Ithaca and I grew up in Columbus, thus I am morally unable to attend Michigan).  I'll appreciate anything you guys have to share, thanks.

James Madison

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Best T14's for married students
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 12:18:13 AM »
I was thinking this as well, that is why Cornell is out and Charlottesville is probably not an option either.

Pirate Pete

• LSD Obsessed
  • member Em.eritus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 12:34:51 AM »
i'd say stick to the schools that are in major metropolitan areas if your spouse is planning on working. 

i'd say columbia, but i'm biased.

There are jobs available in cities that are not "major metropolitan areas," you know.
fair like the sun that shines in my soul when you're near, emily
Wow, Em is genius!

James Madison

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 12:42:12 AM »
I agree more with Stanley on this one.  While I'm sure there are jobs in Charlottesville or Ithaca, it may take quite a while longer to find one.  I'd feel much more secure in a place like Chicago where it should be fairly easier to find her a job.  I don't want to rule out Duke, Durham's not too bad.  Do you know anything about New Haven Stanley?

James Madison

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 12:49:24 AM »
Could you equate it to any other cities you've ever been to?

James Madison

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 01:05:32 AM »
No problem, I appreciate the help.

Towlie

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006, 01:45:20 AM »
Anybody have any feedback on this topic?  I'm currently considering all of the T14s except for Cornell and Michigan (Don't want to live in Ithaca and I grew up in Columbus, thus I am morally unable to attend Michigan).  I'll appreciate anything you guys have to share, thanks.

I would think that Berkeley would be a great place for married couples. Berkeley (and the rest of the Bay area) is extremely livable, the weather is great, and there are probably many of job opportunities for your spouse (I'm guessing not as many as Chicago or NYC though, but still plenty).

My advice would be to ask your spouse. If s/he is agreeing to follow you wherever you want to go, you should try and pick a place you'll both love.

James Madison

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2006, 02:02:23 AM »
Haha, funny you should recommend that Stephen.  The reason I started this thread was because I was having this conversation earlier today with my fiancee.  She said if it was up to her, she wants to end up in Berkeley.

Towlie

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2006, 02:06:47 AM »
Haha, funny you should recommend that Stephen.  The reason I started this thread was because I was having this conversation earlier today with my fiancee.  She said if it was up to her, she wants to end up in Berkeley.

Then, there you go. Even Yale isn't so much better than Berkeley that it's worth your fiance being unhappy for 3 years (if that were the case, and some people on here would definitly disagree with me on this). The problem with Berkeley is that it is so hard to predict admission there, so "planning" on going to Berkeley is never a good idea.

fakemark

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2006, 02:12:45 AM »
Boalt is a great school for married couples. They have a family housing complex that is away from campus - a quiet place full of young kids. Spouses have tons of job opportunities in SF, which is a quick BART ride away.

And if you have kids, there is a very supportive network of parents that help each other get through. The administration even will try to schedule your classes so that you can minimize your time on campus and get home. And there is day care on campus at which you can drop your kids off.

Also, the non-competitive atmosphere makes it very friendly to people who would like to have a balanced life and actually spend time with their spouse and kids.