Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Criminal History Addendum  (Read 557 times)

seankenn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Criminal History Addendum
« on: August 13, 2004, 11:01:36 AM »
I wrote an addendum to address my criminal history.  I stated that I believe I was not guilty, but did not have enough money to hire an attorney to clear my name.  So I took the safest plea and went with it.  The charges were dismissed after due time. 

Do you think I covered all my bases?  I revealed the crimes, but never truly admitted any wrongdoing.

seankenn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Criminal History Addendum
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2004, 11:09:56 AM »
I can see that, but people plea to cover their ass all the time.  In hindsight, I would have persued a No Contest plea.  Maybe I should suggest this.  In my opinion though, no one who pleas guilty to a charge is not necessarily lying if they are not guilty.  They are just avoiding a worse outcome.  I wonder how admissions would perceive this.

seankenn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2004, 11:12:07 AM »
I received a deferred sentence.  Which is I behave for a the length of the sentence and the judge then dismisses the case.  On my record it will say dismissed, but many schools want to know these cases, too.

seankenn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2004, 11:24:32 AM »
I talked to a lawyer who said if they ask for convictions, then I do not need to disclose.  But in the case of schools asking about arrests I need to disclose.  Getting this problem expunged can occur maybe 2 years after the deferred sentence expired.  So I can't get it expunged before applications are due.

seankenn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2004, 11:47:50 AM »
Sounds good...but I am at work for the next eight hours.  I will get it to you this weekend.  Send me yours.  I would like to get a look at what yours looks like.  Thanks.

jas9999

• Sr. Citizen
  • Actual Law Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2004, 01:34:20 PM »
i'd say stick with the facts. if you pled guilty and received a deferred sentence, just say so. if you get into 'well, i wasn't really guilty but couldn't afford to fight it...' then i think you'll only hurt your application. as long as this wasn't a violent crime, just stick to the facts.

if you sound like you're trying to weasel your way out of personal responsibility for your actions, i'd imagine the ad comms would not look favorably on your situation.

Coregram

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2004, 01:52:42 PM »
It's more important to explain what you've learned from it, how you've changed and grown, etc. now than to justify how it turned out then.