Law School Discussion

Got my (PT) 1L class scheule

MrSmittie

• Rebel Law - why what happens in Vegas stays here.
    • View Profile
Got my (PT) 1L class scheule
« on: June 10, 2006, 08:51:09 AM »
So, I will be attending the Boyd School of Law at UNLV begining in August 2006 (evening). Yesterday, I received my course schedule via U.S. Mail. Actually, the school has provided a tentative schedule for all 4 years. Here is what I will face during 1L:

FALL 2006
Mon/Wed 6:15pm to 7:40pm - Contracts I
Tues/Thurs 6:15pm to 7:40pm - Civ Pro/ADR I
Tues/Thurs 7:50pm to 9:15pm Lawyering Process I

SPRING 2007
Contracts II
Civ Pro/ADR II
Lawyering Process II

Summer 2007
Lawyering Process III
Family Law

My Contracts class will be taught by Hon. Bruce Markell, a U.S Bankruptcy Judge who clerked for Justice Kennedy  (while he was on the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals). Judge Markell was also a Bruce W. Nichols Visiting Professor of Law at Harvard Law School and practiced law in Los Angeles for 10 years before leaving a partnership with Sidley & Austin.

My Civ Pro/ADR professor will be Ms. Jean Sternlight, who graduated from Harvard law school (cum laude)in 1983. At Harvard, she was Editor in Chief of the Harvard Civil Rights - Civil Liberties Law Review. Prof. Sternlight is She is co-author of a casebook on mediation and co-author of a forthcoming casebook on alternative dispute resolution and also a forthcoming book on arbitration. She is also the Director of Boyd's Saltman Center for Conflict Resolution.

I'll tell you, getting this info yesterday really got me pumped for LS. I can't wait to start!

Re: Got my (PT) 1L class scheule
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 11:34:23 PM »
wow- your school is really on the ball, or maybe mine just hasn't gotten their ball out yet...

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006, 09:45:12 AM »
i got my PT 1L schedule in May....I was surprised!  Glad they get the Pters out first though so we can plan job schedules etc.  I have Prop, Torts and Contracts twice a week each.  M,Tu,Th - 2 classes a night. 

4DClaw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2006, 09:53:50 AM »
Fall is very similar to GW's PT schedule - Contracts twice a week from 6-7:50, CivPro twice a week from 6-7:50 and two nights a week, 8-9, of legal writing. I like that schedule. Even though it's two 4-credit classes, that means we only have two finals. In the spring we take the remaining two credits of each of those clases plus 4-credit torts.

So, I will be attending the Boyd School of Law at UNLV begining in August 2006 (evening). Yesterday, I received my course schedule via U.S. Mail. Actually, the school has provided a tentative schedule for all 4 years. Here is what I will face during 1L:

FALL 2006

SPRING 2007
Contracts II
Civ Pro/ADR II
Lawyering Process II

Summer 2007
Lawyering Process III
Family Law

My Contracts class will be taught by Hon. Bruce Markell, a U.S Bankruptcy Judge who clerked for Justice Kennedy  (while he was on the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals). Judge Markell was also a Bruce W. Nichols Visiting Professor of Law at Harvard Law School and practiced law in Los Angeles for 10 years before leaving a partnership with Sidley & Austin.

My Civ Pro/ADR professor will be Ms. Jean Sternlight, who graduated from Harvard law school (cum laude)in 1983. At Harvard, she was Editor in Chief of the Harvard Civil Rights - Civil Liberties Law Review. Prof. Sternlight is She is co-author of a casebook on mediation and co-author of a forthcoming casebook on alternative dispute resolution and also a forthcoming book on arbitration. She is also the Director of Boyd's Saltman Center for Conflict Resolution.

I'll tell you, getting this info yesterday really got me pumped for LS. I can't wait to start!

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2006, 09:56:58 AM »
i applied to st johns pt back in late october...never heard.  i want my money back!!!

seems weird you have property only once for 2 hours and torts and ks twice for 2 hours each.   :-\

latinlord

• Attorney at Law in Philadelphia Law Firm
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2006, 10:17:22 AM »

FALL 2006

SPRING 2007
Contracts II
Civ Pro/ADR II
Lawyering Process II

Summer 2007
Lawyering Process III
Family Law

I'm noticing a lot of schools with an "intro to lawyering" class. My school doesnt' have a class like that besides I guess the special summer class only given to about 35students. I wonder what that class is all about? I didn't get my schedule sent to me, but it is posted. I'll be taking Civil Procedure  MW 530 to 730, Torts T/Th 530 to 730 and LARC or legal writing Fridays 530 to 730 = a total of 10credits. I might get a part time job, but in the beginning, i'll probibly be at school most of the day anyway doing my work b/f class starts. I'm looking forward to it. I still might have a small chance getting on the Fulltime section, i'm on the waitlist, either way i'm still happy.

lsatflunkie

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2006, 07:35:34 PM »

FALL 2006

SPRING 2007
Contracts II
Civ Pro/ADR II
Lawyering Process II

Summer 2007
Lawyering Process III
Family Law

That seems like a great schedule.  Am I missing something or is your PT program only 3 classes?  mine is 4 :(

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2006, 08:15:44 PM »
mine is three this fall...contrats, torts and property.  do you have summer classes?

lsatflunkie

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2006, 08:19:39 PM »
mine is three this fall...contrats, torts and property.  do you have summer classes?

We can't register for summer classes until after 1L.  I don't have my schedule yet; however, I know that it's 4 classes.  :( :(

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2006, 08:31:13 PM »
oh ok my school has the first year i think it is already scheduled so i know i have 2 summer classes, 3 this fall and i think 3 in the spring.