Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: An outsider's impressions  (Read 4493 times)

lurker25

• View Profile
An outsider's impressions
« on: June 10, 2006, 10:39:58 AM »
So I've been lurking on this board for about a month now.  It started innocently enough, but now it's gotten to the point where I spend like five or six hours a day here. It's out of control.  What can I say, I'm home for the summer, I have no life, I have nothing better to do. It's sad. Anyway, I wanted to post some general impressions of LSD.

1.Individual Posters

red.-- You intimidate me, and all I'm doing is reading your posts on an internet message board.  You're razor sharp, (self reportedly) gorgeous, and you actually seem nice.  Maybe if I'm really good in this life I'll get to be you in my next life.

halfie--  You seem really really sweet, if somewhat wet behind the ears.  I have to confess that I have a slight crush on you.

margee, Miss P, pinkybella-- If anyone can seem 'genuine' on a message board, you three pull it off.  Much respect.

Googler-- You're probably an ok guy, but why so angry?  What did the liberals ever do to you?

lily-- You're definitely a smart cookie, but you're a know-it-all.  You speak with equal confidence about matters you know nothing about (motherhood?) and matters you do know about.  You could stand to tone down your argumentative style.

bluebwhatever-- Your shtick gets annoying after a while. When a guy hits on every woman in sight in real life, one suspects he is insecure.  When the same thing happens in cyberspace, this suspicion is only stronger.

2. Anger

I believe angry personal attacks on internet message boards are colloquially known as "flame wars."  I can't think of a more frusturating or pointless activity.  In real life, it is possible to win an angry verbal confrontation, because one of the parties will be quicker on his feet, or more confident, or have a more compelling physical presence than the other.  The other party will get intimidated and back down.  On the internet, people have infinite time to think of clever responses, confidence doesn't matter, and nobody has a physical presence. For these reasons, angry arguments on the internet are always going to be stalemated.  Nobody can win.

That said, flame wars are lots of fun to read.

3.Sex threads on the off-topic board

These are just bizarre.  Trying to prove to people you've never met in person that you're sexy and you're getting some is juvenile.  On this particular board, it also seems politically risky.  These people are your future colleagues.  Some of them are your future classmates.  When they actually do meet you, they will know how old you were when you lost your virginity, how many partners you've had, and what your favorite position is.  Is it just me, or will this be embarassing?

That said, sex threads are lots of fun to read.

That's all folks.

dun

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: An outsider's impressions
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 10:45:44 AM »
Flame.

You used lurking, schtick and flame, thus you are not new.

dun

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 10:50:45 AM »
flame or not, why the @#!* does he think anyone cares what his impressions are?  if someone wanted his opinion, they'd pull his chain.

I really care about his impressions of me.  So I'm dissapointed he left me out.

dun

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 10:54:52 AM »
I really care about his impressions of me.  So I'm dissapointed he left me out.

it's b/c he's so new, he has no clue who you are.

This might be the case.  Maybe this guy is really legit and is just an internet vet. I don't know.  But it is lame not to include me.

dun

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2006, 10:58:14 AM »

This might be the case.  Maybe this guy is really legit and is just an internet vet. I don't know.  But it is lame not to include me.

nah.  he's def been around long enough, just wanted to flirt w/ a few and pick on a few others.

certainly smacks of douchery

I don't get why people do this.  This is not the best use of alternate monikers.

orangie

• Sr. Citizen
  • GULC '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2006, 11:11:38 AM »
he left me out too, but that may be because I did not post that much lately.

Oh, and everyone has a crush on halfie :D

dun

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2006, 11:14:55 AM »

He is cool.  I like him but not like that. 

orangie

• Sr. Citizen
  • GULC '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2006, 11:17:28 AM »

understandable.

dun

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2006, 11:20:01 AM »

understandable.

He became very popular quickly.

orangie

• Sr. Citizen
  • GULC '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2006, 11:22:52 AM »

understandable.

He became very popular quickly.

:) yeah, especially after he put up that self tar.

He'll always have a place in my heart as someone who shared my love for an "answer a question with a question" thread.