Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: f  (Read 3074 times)

H4CS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Who is helped by affirmative action?
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2007, 11:37:28 AM »
EVERYBODY ELSE loses (including said minorities without pressure towards education).

Not that anyone takes this thread or this poster seriously, but I'd like to point out that high-scoring whites make out like bandits.  High-scoring white students are spared having to be in class with the Trolliks of the world and benefit from a more diverse class, while internalizing a racial hierarchy that conveniently puts them on top.

nyugrad06

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2007, 12:10:04 AM »
how exactly are fellow students helped by a diverse class?

Lets be honest, Colleges are just as segregated as society.  Diverse opinions rarely, if ever, are brought up in class.

How exactly does the average person benefit from diversity?  And please dont tell me run up to the guy in a turban and ask him about his culture...i could just as easily do that on the streets as NY as i could with a kid in my class of 200 people.

H4CS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2007, 12:39:43 AM »

Lets be honest, Colleges are just as segregated as society.  Diverse opinions rarely, if ever, are brought up in class.

How exactly does the average person benefit from diversity?  And please dont tell me run up to the guy in a turban and ask him about his culture...i could just as easily do that on the streets as NY as i could with a kid in my class of 200 people.

I'm pretty sure the marginal utility of an additional mediocre white person is zero at HYS way before the class is full.  Honestly, I think some of the students are just let in because they feel bad for them.

Zinfandel.

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2007, 10:07:16 AM »

I'm pretty sure the marginal utility of an additional mediocre white person is zero at YSH way before the class is full.  Honestly, I think some of the students are just let in because they feel bad for them.