Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: New Haven  (Read 652 times)

James Madison

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
New Haven
« on: June 08, 2006, 07:01:11 PM »
Hey guys,

I'm getting married and applying to law school in the fall.  I know nothing about New Haven, how hard would it be for my wife to get a job there.  I've heard stories that outside of the university the city is just dead, I appreciate any comments you guys might have.

James Madison

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: New Haven
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 07:30:21 PM »
If anyone knows anything about Charlottesville or Ithaca that would be appreciated too.   :)

Carolinekk

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 12:05:05 AM »
hmm...i'm from charlottesville, and have lived there most of my life. i also lived in new haven for a year while i was getting my masters. 

i can't help much with specifics about the job situation in either city, unless your wife works in the food service or the childcare industry.  i do get the sense that the professional/white collar job market is pretty glutted in both places (being home to a national university will do that to a city i guess) but i'm not sure which situation is better.

anyhow, here's a list of pros and cons for new haven and charlottesville.

new haven pros:

very easy to get to nyc
culture (theatre, etc)
great pizza
urban feel

new haven cons:

bad weather
i felt very unsafe
not a terribly attractive place
expensive real estate (cheaper than nyc, but significantly more expensive than cville)

cville pros

beautiful weather; near mountains
relatively safe
small town/suburban feel

cville cons:

suburban sprawl is getting worse
some people think there isn't enough to do in town, and it's not easy to get to a major city.
cost of living has recently been rising.

i personally like cville better than new haven, but that may be because there's no place like home, and i'm spoiled by southern weather.

hope that helped.

LawSchoolHopeful2009

• Sr. Citizen
  • make me "beautiful"...make me a perfect lie...
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 01:14:00 AM »
Spent my undergrad years in Ithaca...I can definitely say that Ithaca isn't for everyone. Coming from NYC, it was hard for me to adjust to the rural environment but eventually I did (it only took 2 years  :P). Ithaca is definitely the hot spot for hippie vegans so if you're a very very far leaning lefty liberal that hates meat, you'll be fine. Cost of living isn't dirt cheap but it isn't outrageous either- depending on where you live (Cayuga Heights (northern section of campus), Collegetown, West Campus, Downtown) you'll be spending anywhere from $550-$1500 for a one bedroom apartment. The 800 acre campus is absolutely gorgeous so definitely pull yourself out of the law school from time to time to explore it. Ithaca is SAFE- yes I know they had that peeping tom/stalker dude at large for a while but he's been caught. They even had a bout of muggings last fall but those have since disappeared (now that I think about it, they just had a stabbing (hate crime) on campus but the accused wasn't even a student, he was just visiting a friend from another school). Even then I still thought the campus was safe. There were times where I would walk home from a friends house at 4am and I would just stroll and have a good ol' time instead of opting for walking with a hurried paranoia. In fact I went running at 2am everynight/morning because it was the only time I was free. So when I say the place is safe, it's SAFE. One of the biggest downfalls for me was the lack of things to do. As an undergrad we had about 3 or 4 bars to go to so you pretty much saw the same ol' fools every weekend- got boring fast. As I got older I grew tired of the Collegetown bar scene and so I ventured into the downtown area to see the night life there. It's pretty bad. So if going out to bars is not a huge concern to you, you should be fine. The culture scene is OK. Not much variety so you'll be hearing about the same artists/bands/poets/etc. If you're an outdoors person, you'll have tons to do. Many friends went swimming, hiking, skiin, rock climbing, cycling, horse riding all the time. For your shopping needs, you're good to go. They have a Wegmans which is open 24/7 and many other food stores fitting everyone dietary needs (as I said before, if you're an organic vegan, you'll be in heaven). They have plenty of clothing stores including many big retail names (Abercrombie, Old Navy, Gap, etc). They've got a Walmart, K-mart, Best Buy, 2 Radio Shacks, Staples, Sears, Target, Barnes and Nobles, Borders, etc. Like I said, you're covered for all of your shopping needs. For transportation, the bus system is ok- not great but not terrible. Very few buses run on the weekends and you can count on waiting an hour in between stops. It's a little better during the week. If you're going to be using a car parking will be a biatch on campus up until 5pm (after that cars tend to clear out and parking becomes free in certain spots so it's a lot easier). Parking spots for your home will cost an arm and a leg if you live on West Campus or in Collegetown. Everywhere else, street parking is abundant so no probe there. Lastly, regarding a car, be sure to have one that can blast through the snow. I've seen many people, including myself, slipping and sliding on the roads and get stuck (I got stuck one morning on the way to the gym and needed 5 or 6 guys to help move my car- it was very annoying to say the least). Cornell/Ithaca is ok sometimes at clearing the roads but sometimes they just get sloppy and don't do a great job of clearing. Winters last for like 6 months so be prepared with a dependable car. Seeing as how you're married, I've got to say that employment is a tad limited in the area. If your S.O. wants to work in retail or in the new hotel downtown, he/she will be fine. Otherwise, you're definitely going to have to do some heavy duty work WAY in advance to secure something decent. The economy just isn't where it's supposed to be in Ithaca so those looking for employment are SOL. Sorry if the post was scattered but it's 1am and my brain is fried so I just typed things as they popped into my head. Good luck if you end up heading to Cornell.

James Madison

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 03:07:51 AM »
Hey guys, really appreciate the honest and detailed feedback.  Ithaca sounds like its not really going to work as far as the employment scene goes (plus I have a Pontiac Vibe, not exactly a power machine  ;)).  If anyone else has any more feedback on New Haven or Charlottesville please chime in!

segundo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Red Sox- Still champs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2006, 02:30:46 PM »
If anyone knows anything about Charlottesville or Ithaca that would be appreciated too.   :)

New Haven will offer the most employment opportunites, but it is also the least safe/nice of the three cities you mentioned. Ithaca and Charlottesville are basically college towns.
BC class of 06'
-----------------
3.4 G.P.A.
162 (June)
166 (October)

Attending Fall 2006: Wake Forest

RainbowBrite

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 01:44:13 PM »
Hey guys,

I'm getting married and applying to law school in the fall.  I know nothing about New Haven, how hard would it be for my wife to get a job there.  I've heard stories that outside of the university the city is just dead, I appreciate any comments you guys might have.

A somewhat late response, but better late than never right?

New Haven isn't really dead per say outside of the university. That being said, if your wife wants a job there, a job with Yale is probably her best bet. This isn't a bad thing: Yale gives its employees crazy perks! Oh, and beware that after dark she won't feel safe outside of the Yale campus area. It is likely that you won't either. It is insanely easy to go from safe to sketchy areas without going far (walking down one of the main streets near the Yale campus, you pass by expensive classy shops, then you cross a street and suddenly you are in the ghetto, cross another street and you find yourself in a rich neighborhood). HTH