Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

How much does your apartment next year cost, per month?

$400 or less
$401-$550
$551-$700
$701-$850
$851-$1000
$1001-$1150
$1151 or more

Author Topic: How much are you spending an apartment next year?  (Read 4261 times)

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How much are you spending an apartment next year?
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2006, 09:34:30 AM »
I second Greengrl's advice. You may able to put the AC in and run it, but you may have trouble running anything else while the AC is on. I lived in an older place built pre-AC and I couldn't really run any high-wattage appliances while it was on.

"Legapp" Stands for "Legal Application"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2006, 10:27:58 AM »
Real Estate Broker?  People actually hire someone to help them find an apartment in those cities?  I couldn't imagine paying anyone 15% of a year's rent (what's that, like $2000?) for showing me an apartment.  Here we just look in the newspaper, call the owner and arrange a vist.  Seems a lot simpler to me.   

While I abhor the broker's fee as much as anyone, I do think it makes finding an apartment a million times easier.  Brokers have a huge incentive (your money) to find YOU a place, not just to fill a vacancy... whereas management companies only care about getting a renter.  Both of my New York apartments were found the same day I went to see a broker.  I spent months harassing management companies in Philly, most of whom never even bothered to call back!  Believe me, a broker will ALWAYS call you back.   ;)

I am officially a law school graduate : )

"Legapp" Stands for "Legal Application"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2006, 10:39:21 AM »
Real Estate Broker?  People actually hire someone to help them find an apartment in those cities?  I couldn't imagine paying anyone 15% of a year's rent (what's that, like $2000?) for showing me an apartment.  Here we just look in the newspaper, call the owner and arrange a vist.  Seems a lot simpler to me.   

While I abhor the broker's fee as much as anyone, I do think it makes finding an apartment a million times easier.  Brokers have a huge incentive (your money) to find YOU a place, not just to fill a vacancy... whereas management companies only care about getting a renter.  Both of my New York apartments were found the same day I went to see a broker.  I spent months harassing management companies in Philly, most of whom never even bothered to call back!  Believe me, a broker will ALWAYS call you back.   ;)

Is a "management company" the owner of the apartment, or something different?  As I siad before, landlords here are usually people, not companies, so all of this termonology is new to me. 

The management companies provide maintenance, find renters, etc. for apartment buildings--they often own the buildings, but not always.

I'd assume a place with cheap real estate would have a very small rental market, since most people could afford to own.  Thus, you wouldn't need either brokers or management.
I am officially a law school graduate : )

cesco

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2006, 10:43:00 AM »
I'll add too....

Many private landlords in big cities would rather have someone else handle the work - that way they dont have to take calls at midnight on a broken pipe, or worry that their tenant might have a criminal past.

A management company plays the middle man.  My management company in Boston was great because they had 24hr plumbers, electricians, etc on staff so if you had an emergency they handled you right away.  I never even knew my "real" landlords name.

The broker is simply a real estate person - someone paid to get you into the right apartment.  You deal w/them to sign for the place and that is it.

2L

bimmer sooner

« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2006, 11:02:12 AM »
Bimmer - I bet your utilities dont get near $200.  That is close to the utilities of a decent sized house, not an apartment. Especially in Atlanta where you wont have to crank up the heat to ridiculous highs...

Actually, the "utilities" part of it will be pretty cheap. I expect electric/gas/water to be around 90-100 max. But once you add digital cable/dvr and high speed, it definitely approaches 200. I may cut cable off 2nd semester after football season.

Shellbell

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2006, 12:26:33 PM »
$880 plus utilities here for a 1 bedroom/ 1 bathrm and I am thinking about splurging and bringing my car since parking is only an extra $25/mo. 

Good deal! Highrise or brownstone (or neither)? 

If it's brownstone, you have my dream apartment  ;)

Neither... I wish it were a brownstone.  It's just a regular building with a store on the first level and 4 apartments on the next two. 
University of Pennsylvania here I come!

billthethrill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2006, 03:34:07 PM »
I pay over $1375/mo for a one bedroom, 2 bath condo at the beach.  (One parking spot, water, sewer, pest control included).
Going to Miami

Butch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2006, 06:57:22 PM »
$1600 for 1BR newly remoled brownstone apt directly on a park in Downtown Jersey City.  I'm going to CUNY Law in Queens, but it's only a 35-40 minute drive. If I lived in Manhattan, I'd pay twice as much in rent, not have such a beautiful place, and still have a 40 minute commute (that included subway & bus). So, I feel like it's a great deal! It feels so Park Slopey.

terralily

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2006, 08:28:48 PM »
I pay over $1375/mo for a one bedroom, 2 bath condo at the beach.  (One parking spot, water, sewer, pest control included).

Pest control???  Really? Shouldn't the apartment be pest free?  Makes it sound like a monthly problem.  Reason enough for me to stay north where the pest DIE in the winter cus its cold.
Windy City here I come....DePaul it is!!!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=terralily

maka nani

• LSD Obsessed
    • AOL Instant Messenger - redsox1079
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2006, 11:50:34 PM »
i have pest control too. it isnt a problem really at least where i am but it is nice that they spray once a month... palmetto bugs....::shudder:::.   
DON'T GO TO LAW SCHOOL YOU DUMB FUCKS.