Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

How much does your apartment next year cost, per month?

$400 or less
$401-$550
$551-$700
$701-$850
$851-$1000
$1001-$1150
$1151 or more

Author Topic: How much are you spending an apartment next year?  (Read 4276 times)

Shellbell

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How much are you spending an apartment next year?
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2006, 04:38:55 PM »
$880 plus utilities here for a 1 bedroom/ 1 bathrm and I am thinking about splurging and bringing my car since parking is only an extra $25/mo. 
University of Pennsylvania here I come!

"Legapp" Stands for "Legal Application"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2006, 05:01:44 PM »
$880 plus utilities here for a 1 bedroom/ 1 bathrm and I am thinking about splurging and bringing my car since parking is only an extra $25/mo. 

Good deal! Highrise or brownstone (or neither)? 

If it's brownstone, you have my dream apartment  ;)
I am officially a law school graduate : )

greengrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2006, 05:42:14 PM »
Someone has never had to run an AC in the summer in the South.

;)  Guilty as charged. 

I guess I was just thinking of heating costs.  I lived in Boston and currently in Colorado and have never seem bills like that.  I own a pretty decent sized house and top out at about $150 for all utilities.

We had a fairly cold December this year, and I was shocked when we got a gas bill that was like $250. That was when we bumped the thermostat down 5 degrees and pulled out our blankets and sweats.

My thermostat never wanders above 68 degrees in the winter--the cost of heating gas is insane. Plus I hate a super hot house. Of course, it's funny to watch my friends scan the family room for blankets when they come to visit :)

Best thing to do with a new place is call the electric and gas companies and get the 24 month averages for the unit you are renting. Obviously an average doesn't account for seasonal differences but since most of us are running on a year long/10 month budget it should do the trick. And if you have to have a super cold or super hot house depending on the season then just count on your bills being a bit more than the averages.

This kept me from renting a place that would have been a utilities nightmare--the averages were insane, more than what I would have been able to pay. Just my 2 cents...

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2006, 06:04:00 PM »
Good advice greengrl. I remember I shared a tiny apartment on the beach one summer with an ancient AC window unit and the electric bill was insane because the unit was so inefficient. Meanwhile, the apartment next door had a much newer window unit and was paying less than 1/2 of what we paid. I had to get a new AC when I owned my townhouse. It was bigger, but more efficient, so I could turn it down a few degrees and still pay less than I had paid with the original unit.

As for the roommate issue, there is no way I can have roommates again. My sister roomed with me for 3 months two years ago in a tiny sub-500 square foot apartment and we almost killed each other. I'm going to ND and if I study in London, I will probably rent a room in a house or have roommates, but that's because I don't want to pay 650 pounds a month to live on my own.

cesco

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2006, 07:54:37 PM »
I think he means the real estate broker, not the landlord.

In Boston they do the same thing - it is a 1month fee to rent if you go through a broker, but most landlords ONLY list through brokers. 

When I moved there everyone told me to suck it up and pay the fee or I would end up w/a crappy place.

I dont even think the landlords get any % of that fee - it just makes their life easier since they dont have to hang around to show the place.  And unfortunately, most places in NY, Boston are private landlords rather than "complexes" w/a renting office.
2L

cesco

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2006, 08:15:14 PM »
Hey, Im with you.  I was shocked when I moved to Boston from the midwest.

I dont think you can really get around it if you want to live in the city though - I would bet 80% - 90% of the places are listed through Brokers.  Plus the brokers do the background checks and screen people so it is a plus for the landlord.

Just a major headache for the person looking to lease...

The few places that arnt listed w/a Broker are usually very suspect.
2L

sck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2006, 12:07:36 AM »
Not going to law school next year (but maybe the year after)... But we just decided on our new apartment last week.

Market rate: 890/month for a 2/2 apartment (1150 sf) in the same complex I'm in now. Water view, full-size washer/dryer and microwave.

We're paying 860/month because my fiance is a teacher... I love the fact that we get a teacher discount.

Houston outside the loop is very affordable.
LSN
Nontrad, with a crazy split

RootBrewskies

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2006, 08:44:01 AM »
anyone have experience putting a window unit air conditioner in an older house.  the place i'm renting has utilities included but its in philly so its like at least 100 years old so i'm not sure what the wiring in the house is like.  i dont want to burn the house down so i can be cool, but i would like to spend the first few months at school being able to sleep in comfort and not just sweating my brains off.

greengrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2006, 09:20:13 AM »
anyone have experience putting a window unit air conditioner in an older house.  the place i'm renting has utilities included but its in philly so its like at least 100 years old so i'm not sure what the wiring in the house is like.  i dont want to burn the house down so i can be cool, but i would like to spend the first few months at school being able to sleep in comfort and not just sweating my brains off.

find out when the house was wired; i'm guessing the wiring is not the original. it also depends on how large your air conditioner is and how much 'juice' it's gonna pull. are you renting this house? ask the landlord, if he/she doesn't know then you will probably need to have an electrician check it out. usually you will need a special "outlet" that can handle that much energy. that being said I've lived in older buildings and just plugged my AC into the wall but I've always used one of the smaller ones so it didn't require as much energy

i don't recommend leaving it on for long periods of time when you are not there. also, i'm sure you've put in a window unit before so I won't insult your intelligence but remember in an older home the window ledges on the outside might be a bit uneven, so make sure you have some wood scraps on hand to keep the AC unit on an angle; otherwise it will freeze up and be worthless

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2006, 09:29:44 AM »
Shared 2-bedroom house with washer/dryer: $550.  1.5 miles from the law school.

Gotta love Lexington rents!
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .