Law School Discussion

Poll

How much does your apartment next year cost, per month?

$400 or less
$401-$550
$551-$700
$701-$850
$851-$1000
$1001-$1150
$1151 or more

How much are you spending an apartment next year?

Re: How much are you spending an apartment next year?
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2006, 08:06:11 PM »
Going from 285/month for my share of a 2bed/2bath apt to 1500/month to share a 2bed/1bath.  TXtoNYCpwn3d.

:o  :o 285 a month  :o..........are you freaking kiddin me?1?!?!?!?!?!

What part of Texas was this in?? I didn't realize apts were this cheap.

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2006, 07:02:40 AM »
2000/month for a 4/5 bedroom place shared with 4 people so 500/month per person.  utilities included minus cable/internet. 

i'm pretty impressed with how cheap it is, philly has a relatively low cost of living, even in a decent part of university city. 

now i just have to come to grips with the fact that i dont have AC.  :-[

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2006, 07:50:33 AM »

That's what Craigslist is for!  My sister got her window unit for like $30 from someone who posted it on there.

cesco

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2006, 07:51:03 AM »
2000/month for a 4/5 bedroom place shared with 4 people so 500/month per person.  utilities included minus cable/internet. 

i'm pretty impressed with how cheap it is, philly has a relatively low cost of living, even in a decent part of university city. 

I am impressed - I dont think I could study or focus living with 3 other people!!!

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2006, 10:47:59 AM »
I think all this splitting is throwing off the poll.  Some people are talking about paying 200-400 for one room and use of a common bathroom, while others are talking about paying 1000+ for 2-3 bedrooms and a bathroom.  I especially think the "I'm splitting the cost with my boyfriend/girlfriend" is deceptive, becuase it's not like a normal roomate situation where they'll kick you out if you're struggling with your bills, where they bring over random people that you have to tolerate, and where they cut off your acess to certain areas of the apartment (such as their bedroom, their kitchen cabinet, their section of the fridge).  Following that logic, I'm only paying $500 for my half of the apartment I share with my wife.  Or, better yet, I'm paying $0 since she's the one with the job and I'm just a student.  Seems kinda silly.

I agree.  I think you'd get different results if you asked slightly older and straight out of college students separately.

For instance, I just don't "do" roommates anymore.  I'm too old for that crap you mentioned above, and it is not worth the money saved for me.  So the $1000 per month I am paying to live alone is a very good deal in my opinion.

cesco

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2006, 10:53:08 AM »
For instance, I just don't "do" roommates anymore. 

Yes, I am with you on this.  I thought a lot about the $$ I could save w/a roommate, but decided my sanity was worth the extra $$!!

I just depends on your stage in life I think, and most people that have been out of school for a couple years cant do roommates (unless its a husband/wife of course ;) )

bimmer sooner

« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2006, 12:42:25 PM »
No splitting here. Did not even consider getting a roommate. I'm paying 846 for a one bedroom...utilities will add about 200 to that (i think). This is in Atlanta right down the street from Emory.

tonic

« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2006, 12:47:30 PM »
I was initially going to go sans roommate and pay $700/month (not including utilities) for a 1-bedroom apartment about 15 minutes away from the law school, but my current situation was offered about a day before I was going to sign a lease for that apartment ($500/month all utilities & extras included, 1 roommate, new 2-bedroom house with hardwood floors & new appliances, right next to campus). I think who your roommate is makes a difference...I'm going to law school in the same city I went to undergrad, and I already know the girl I'm living with.

« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2006, 01:01:08 PM »
i think i'd get lonely if i lived by myself.  i like having roomates or at least someone who is there to have a little conversation with when your eating dinner at least. 

i guess its one thing if your roomate(s) are not in school and are loud and constantly have late nights or parties but if all the roomates are on the same level as far as being respectful to each other then i dont see the problem.

i guess it all depends on how laid back you are, i guess if someone wants to live by themselves then there is probably a reason and i wouldnt want to live with them, but for the most part if the roomates are relaxed i dont have a problem with it. 

it also definately helps with the costs, as far as utilties/cable/internet, and can help you keep your sanity. 

« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2006, 02:34:00 PM »
some of these prices are mind boggling, all these sub 500 prices. i am used to nyc/nj real estate which is overpriced as hell...

i'm paying $1800 and change for my studio, but it includes utilities. living alone has its ups and downs, but i like my apt, have been here since jan, and i don't want to deal with moving again. i figure the loneliness factor won't be an issue as i expect law school to be as time consuming as work, so i won't be around my apartment all that much on weekdays, and since i am not moving, most of my friends from undergrad are still around the area, so weekends will still be a blast.

edit: how shady are brokers in markets outside of nyc? in nyc, most of them are scum. is it the same in other markets? and do they try to charge 15% of one year's rent as a fee?