Law School Discussion

Some RC advice for high scorers..

Some RC advice for high scorers..
« on: June 08, 2006, 11:25:52 AM »
Hey all,
I just wanted to share something I've been trying lately to cement my RC score, which has slipped a bit with the newer tests.  Lately, I've been giving myself 8 minutes per passage instead of the 8:45? Why? Two reasons: 1.  It's easier to calculate in your head where you need to be when you're using intervals of 4.  Read the first passage by 4:00, finish bu 8:00, read the second passage by 12:00, finish by 16:00, 20:00,24:00, etc etc.  Second, it gives you a nice buffer zone for the final passage and to review your answers.  If you can finish in 32 minutes, then you have 3 minutes to check over your answers or to burn on the final (and hopefully most difficult passage.)

While this strategy of course isn't fool proof for me, it has prevented me from doing what I've occassionaly done in the past is thinking I had plenty of time for the second and third passages after finishing the first in 5 or 6 minutes and then realizing I only had 5 or 6 minutes to read and answer the final passage. :-\

• View Profile
Re: Some RC advice for high scorers..
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 12:05:54 PM »
That's a good tip.  I've found that on recent tests (45+), there are usually 2-3 very easy passages that take about 5 minutes each, and then 1-2 passages that are very difficult or barely comprehensible, and require 10-12 minutes to really get through.

Da5id

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 12:13:13 PM »
Heh, I've been using the same principle for logic games for awhile, it hadn't occurred to me that it could apply to RC. Sub-8:00 = good. 8:00 to 9:00= above my goal but tolerable. 9:00+ = bad.

It's definitely a much easier goal to keep track of, and I agree 100% that the buffer time being nice. It's not unrealistic as a goal, but it errs on the side of caution.

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 03:09:14 PM »
slorello, you are my hero.  I've been prepping since February seeing good improvement in LG and LR, but absolutely nothing in RC.  Tried all sorts of things and I kid you not I missed 7 RC questions on my first diagnostic and since then I've missed 4-6 EVERY SINGLE TEST.  Missed 3 today!  Thanks again!

Hank Rearden

• Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 03:58:20 PM »
I agree that finishing the sections quicker is a good idea, but the problem I've been having on recent RC is that that just isn't possible.  The harder passages seem to take more time than before, and the easier passages seem to have more time-consuming questions.