Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why Affirmative Action is Justified  (Read 90913 times)

tryinLawSchool

• View Profile
Re: Why Affirmative Action is Justified
« Reply #650 on: July 18, 2010, 09:38:27 AM »
I read back through a few of the pages (not all) but what is with the attacks on SOP? They are young so therefor they are coddled, and it is bad that they live with their parents, or that their parents assist them at a young age. I mean honestly- big, Cooley- are you actually attempting to use that as argument? Your parents did not do the same for you? This kid is making all the right choices. Do you honestly believe that type of intellect is common place? You do understand the level of effort they must have put forth to distinguish themselves. As adults and non-traditional students we tend to complain about young adults, but here you have one making all the right decisions and where is the support? I think people forget what they were like at a certain age...

SOP- I did not score a 160 my first attempt, and I am not sure I will take it again. That said,  I'll be an excellent lawyer. I know if I take it again I can bridge the 4 point gap. Good luck on your test and let us know what you score. BTW- when are you taking it?

Cicero

• Sr. Citizen
  • UF 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: July 18, 2010, 10:13:49 AM »
@tryinLawSchool
Cooley/Thelo/Numitor/other names at other times--is gone now, but he used to go all around this site picking fights with everyone. Sometimes he would try to give advice, but he spent most of his time insulting other posters. He finally left or was kicked out by a moderator.

SOP--He also made some very insulting comments to other posters, but mostly made statements that at times came off as arrogant and as if he believed he was better than others. (but was nowhere near as bad as Cooley)

tryinLawSchool

• View Profile
« Reply #652 on: July 18, 2010, 11:47:49 AM »
@tryinLawSchool
Cooley/Thelo/Numitor/other names at other times--is gone now, but he used to go all around this site picking fights with everyone. Sometimes he would try to give advice, but he spent most of his time insulting other posters. He finally left or was kicked out by a moderator.

SOP--He also made some very insulting comments to other posters, but mostly made statements that at times came off as arrogant and as if he believed he was better than others. (but was nowhere near as bad as Cooley)

Oh did not know that about Cooley, but SOP is a little arrogant- just being young, and some of it is deserved-he is pretty good. He'll temper that as he grows.

exspes

• View Profile
« Reply #653 on: July 18, 2010, 12:17:10 PM »
The majority of people actually don't live with their parents into their mid 20's, and don't rely on them for all of their bills.

I read back through a few of the pages (not all) but what is with the attacks on SOP? They are young so therefor they are coddled, and it is bad that they live with their parents, or that their parents assist them at a young age. I mean honestly- big, Cooley- are you actually attempting to use that as argument? Your parents did not do the same for you? This kid is making all the right choices. Do you honestly believe that type of intellect is common place? You do understand the level of effort they must have put forth to distinguish themselves. As adults and non-traditional students we tend to complain about young adults, but here you have one making all the right decisions and where is the support? I think people forget what they were like at a certain age...

SOP- I did not score a 160 my first attempt, and I am not sure I will take it again. That said,  I'll be an excellent lawyer. I know if I take it again I can bridge the 4 point gap. Good luck on your test and let us know what you score. BTW- when are you taking it?

tryinLawSchool

• View Profile
« Reply #654 on: July 18, 2010, 12:49:36 PM »
The majority of people actually don't live with their parents into their mid 20's, and don't rely on them for all of their bills.

I have no idea what the percentage is, but the people that are not, may not be attending college from the time they are 18. To go through law school starting college at 18 would have you graduating at 25. If you are doing well in school I see absolutely nothing wrong with your parents assisting you. I actually think it is fine, especially if you are making the right choices.

exspes

• View Profile
« Reply #655 on: July 18, 2010, 01:01:09 PM »
It probally matters what community you grow up in, to decide your view on that.
I agree with you that if your parents are millioniares and don't feel the strain, then go for it.
What bugs me I guess, is to see parents take out "parent plus loans" to take care of it for their kids. To me, if someone would do that to their parents, it just screams about how little they respect them. I have friends who had to have parents cosign, and I understand that from a credit requirment perspective, but to have the parent take the bucket load of the debt, just screams selfishness.

I have no idea what the percentage is, but the people that are not, may not be attending college from the time they are 18. To go through law school starting college at 18 would have you graduating at 25. If you are doing well in school I see absolutely nothing wrong with your parents assisting you. I actually think it is fine, especially if you are making the right choices.

tryinLawSchool

• View Profile
« Reply #656 on: July 18, 2010, 01:20:10 PM »
It probally matters what community you grow up in, to decide your view on that.
I agree with you that if your parents are millioniares and don't feel the strain, then go for it.
What bugs me I guess, is to see parents take out "parent plus loans" to take care of it for their kids. To me, if someone would do that to their parents, it just screams about how little they respect them. I have friends who had to have parents cosign, and I understand that from a credit requirment perspective, but to have the parent take the bucket load of the debt, just screams selfishness.

I disagree-the system is set up to prevent kids who are considered dependent from being able to take loans to do it themselves so I am not sure how you can fault them. If they do not receive scholarships- the money they are offered is dep. upon their parents salary. Not their choice. I see nothing wrong with it. Parents should be prepared to help their children as much as possible if they make that decision, as long as their children are making the right choices. It is not selfish, as long as the child is rewarding their parents sacrifice by doing their best and being successful. I tend to believe parents enjoy helping

exspes

• View Profile
« Reply #657 on: July 18, 2010, 01:36:11 PM »
Once again, don't you think that should depend on the parent? Yes, rich parents kids can't get a full govt ride, and can probally afford it just fine. Poor parents kids can get more govt aid, but if it boils down to loans are you telling me that if your parents were lower middle class(lets say $30K a year annual income) you'd be cool with letting them go into hundreds of thousands of debt when you could take the loans under your name(even if they had to cosign, you'd be the main one on it)? Shouldn't the kids not want to prevent their parents from being able to retire due to their actions?

tryinLawSchool

• View Profile
« Reply #658 on: July 18, 2010, 03:12:24 PM »
Once again, don't you think that should depend on the parent? Yes, rich parents kids can't get a full govt ride, and can probally afford it just fine. Poor parents kids can get more govt aid, but if it boils down to loans are you telling me that if your parents were lower middle class(lets say $30K a year annual income) you'd be cool with letting them go into hundreds of thousands of debt when you could take the loans under your name(even if they had to cosign, you'd be the main one on it)? Shouldn't the kids not want to prevent their parents from being able to retire due to their actions?

For 30K a year the child isn't going to have an EFC. The kids can not take the same amount out as indep. students. They can't get it in their name for the same amount. Hey man we can agree to disagree, and I am okay with that, but you really have to make sure you are fully aware prior to making arguments. Your making arguments without even knowing the information. Not said with any malice or sarcasm.

Depend. students loan amounts by year 1.5500, 2. 6500, 3. 7500, 4. 7500
indep. students by year                           1.9500, 2.10550, 3.12500, 4.12500

http://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/students/english/studentloans.jsp

exspes

• View Profile
« Reply #659 on: July 18, 2010, 08:56:55 PM »
Here is what I know. I made less than $14K last year with a family of three and am over 24 so parents status dosnt impact it, yet I didnt qualify to pell grant or ANY aid. (only stafford loans, which despite being calling them "aid" have to be paid back)

I chose to take out the loan instead of asking my parents to apply for a parent plus loan. First hand, real life experience. Thats what I know and how I know it.