Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why Affirmative Action is Justified  (Read 86291 times)

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Why Affirmative Action is Justified
« Reply #590 on: September 10, 2007, 10:58:33 PM »
Are you using "you're gay!" as a comeback? Really?

I don't know how he expects us to take him seriously.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Nickelback

• View Profile
« Reply #591 on: April 03, 2008, 01:07:02 PM »
Since we keep singing the same damn songs...

"I've seen it a lot
Every time to the world turns upside down
Believe it or not, everyone
Most of us feel like we're losing ground
Believe it or not, everyone, hate admitting fear
Believe it or not, most of us wanna know why we're here

Why we're here, but we don't and we won't
Until we figure out, Could someone deliver us?
And send us some kind of sign, so close to giving up
Coz faith is so hard to find, someone deliver us?
And send us some kind of sign, so close to giving up
Coz faith is so hard to find
But you don't, and you won't, until we figure out

Most of us have nothing to complain about
Most of us have things we could live without
Everyone need advice on how to get along"

You all should just read these words, read this thread, crack open a Molson, and just think a little bit, eh?
Saturday night's alright for fighting.

Elephant Lee

• Sr. Citizen
  • Maybe ju an' me are amigos!
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: January 24, 2009, 10:49:30 PM »
A nugget tangentially related to stereotype threat:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/23/education/23gap.html?_r=4&ref=us

This has probably been posted elsewhere, but I have not kept up with the relevant threads.
This was my country
This frightful and this angry land

"I guess she was a hooker, that makes sense, those shorts didn't really look all that comfortable." -Dash

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: January 24, 2009, 10:52:42 PM »
A nugget tangentially related to stereotype threat:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/23/education/23gap.html?_r=4&ref=us

This has probably been posted elsewhere, but I have not kept up with the relevant threads.

Very interesting, and I hadn't seen it elsewhere.  Thanks, Jorge!
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

SSDD

• View Profile
« Reply #594 on: January 31, 2009, 03:22:39 PM »
I just have one question with regard to stereotype threat:

If all of this is based on the expectations of those around you (for example, black people worried about a negative performance causing them to land in an unflattering stereotype) could it not be based on something besides race?

The first thing that comes to mind is the way that whites from uneducated, working class backgrounds are portrayed.  I am a white person from a poor family (I assure you there are plenty of us), and many times (because of my accent, and where I am from) I have been labeled as a "redneck", "white trash", etc.  Those stereotypes certainly don't flatter my intellectual capability.  However, I have never expected any special treatment because of my background. Instead, I have always used the stereotype to catch people off guard, to suprise their expectations whenever I outperform them on whatever it is we are competing at. 

This is in no way an attempt to compare my "white plight" to the widespread discrimination against blacks.  I grew up in one of the most racist areas in the United States and I know that racism is still an enormous problem that must be addressed, even during the law school admissions process.  I just have a hard time accepting "sterotype threat" as a compelling argument for poor performance on the LSAT.

txn_20

• View Profile
« Reply #595 on: February 01, 2009, 04:41:29 PM »
Im sorry, but Affirmative Action is reverse racism.

txn_20

• View Profile
« Reply #596 on: February 02, 2009, 06:42:11 PM »
Im sorry, but Affirmative Action is reverse racism.

next you'll be saying it's racist to have a black law student discussion board.

and thanks for apologizing. but it's your parents who should apologize for raising you so poorly.

If more of the URMs parents would raise there people better we would not have to hear about this "socioeconomic" epidemic. 

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: February 09, 2009, 05:33:48 PM »
I just have one question with regard to stereotype threat:

If all of this is based on the expectations of those around you (for example, black people worried about a negative performance causing them to land in an unflattering stereotype) could it not be based on something besides race?

The first thing that comes to mind is the way that whites from uneducated, working class backgrounds are portrayed.  I am a white person from a poor family (I assure you there are plenty of us), and many times (because of my accent, and where I am from) I have been labeled as a "redneck", "white trash", etc.  Those stereotypes certainly don't flatter my intellectual capability.  However, I have never expected any special treatment because of my background. Instead, I have always used the stereotype to catch people off guard, to suprise their expectations whenever I outperform them on whatever it is we are competing at. 

This is in no way an attempt to compare my "white plight" to the widespread discrimination against blacks.  I grew up in one of the most racist areas in the United States and I know that racism is still an enormous problem that must be addressed, even during the law school admissions process.  I just have a hard time accepting "sterotype threat" as a compelling argument for poor performance on the LSAT.

And many Blacks and other URM's do the same thing. But you are missing the point: A debt has to be paid...period. Whites got over on Blacks for four centuries, and used Blacks to build a country they dominate and reap the fruits of. Now you expect people who were disadvantaged by these cruel acts to be satisfied to be (questionably) "free", as if freedom should be enough...while you have every benefit this society offers; Black Americans do not enjoy those same benefits.

And it isn't completely about slavery; most of the debt for slavery should be paid to the slaves. It's about all of the garbage that happened afterwards (Jim Crowe, et. al)...all the way until yesterday (1865-2009), Obama notwithstanding. That's the stuff that has hindered today's Black-America.

And before you bring up Ethiopians, Nigerians, Jamaicans, Dominicans or any other segment of the African diaspora, let me say this: they keep quiet, but they love to benefit from the battle African Americans have fought. They look down their noses at us, but they don't hesitate to get in line to benefit from AA when it comes to college admissions or government contracts, business loans for their parking companies or anything else. It's the same thing with Asians...they benefit from AA, too (even if less-so in grad admissions). 

My point is this, the only reason poor White males are so against AA is because they cannot fully take advantage of it. If they could, you wouldn't hear a peep out of them. 

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: February 09, 2009, 06:23:11 PM »

If more of the URMs parents would raise there people better we would not have to hear about this "socioeconomic" epidemic. 

Speaks volumes.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

th0409

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #599 on: February 09, 2009, 08:27:39 PM »

Speaks volumes.

Agreed!
I would hope if one were going to make a blanket statement and a broad generalization about a group of people, and that statement was going to contain blatant stupidity said statement could at least use proper grammar.

The word you're looking for txn_20 is "their" not "there", and from this once could conclude that your poor grammatical performance is a result of your poor upbringing.
But that would be a broad generalization and that would be wrong. I'll assume you'll try to make excuses to why you are not clear on use of the English language, and why people should cut you some slack, but clearly you are a product of poor upbringing and therefore are not worthy of any consideration of your circumstances.