Law School Discussion

Why Affirmative Action is Justified

bigs5068

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Why Affirmative Action is Justified
« Reply #640 on: June 03, 2010, 02:41:20 PM »
Clearly you are someone of the most limited capacity. Having consistently demonstrated an inability to construct a simple English sentence, you now see fit to unconsentingly thrust your ungodly intellect upon the public at large. This terrible sort of thing comes about from the breakdown of society, you see - where people don't know their proper place. The mere thought of the proletariat, the hoi polloi if you will, partaking in such activities, which should be the preserve of those who possess Latin to at least an intermediate fluency, is enough to make me nauseous. That they dare nowadays to speak, to read, to write, and even to laugh and pretend to understand anything other than the most basic and animalistic urges in their vulgar, uneducated, barnyard lives, is sickening beyond all measure.

Your right this statement will probably get your farther with the LSAT committee when you get a 150 if you ever do nut up and actually take the test.

Anyways, I will just put the statement I wrote earlier which you agreed with despite my barnyard mentality to put the thread back on track.

I think the only problem with affirmative action is that if you let somebody in with a 142 LSAT there is a good chance they won't pass the bar. I feel the LSAT is a an indicator of how well you perform under pressure etc and I forget what the OP called it test discrimination/frustration I forget what it said, but that will be present on the bar as well and if you are Black,White, Yellow go into 100k in debt and you can't handle pressure on a test then there is a good chance they will fail the bar or fail out of law school, because the LSAT is the least pressure you will have in regards to anything law related to law school.

If you bomb the LSAT then you lose 100 bucks and then law school is not for you. On the other hand when you take your first finals you have already quit your job and are 15-20k in debt and haven't worked for 5 months that is a lot more pressure on you than the LSAT. Even if you get through all 3 years  then you have to pass the bar and you are 100k in debt and haven't worked for three years. That is tremendous pressure.

I think affirmative action is fair if the applicant scores 150 or above, because minorities do bring a differnt view point to the law and if they graduate and pass the bar they will help the legal profession. If they score 150 or above they at  they have a fighting chance to pass the bar, but on Lawschoolnumbers I have seen URM's admitted with scholarships with 144's etc and I think in that instance it is really wrong. If you get 144 or something it is indicator that you can't handle pressure, or don't see the nuances, etc and that is the minimum of what you need to get through law school and pass the bar.

Midget's haven't appealed the NBA for being discriminated against, because a Midget can't guard Shaq it would just  be embarrassing and bad for everybody.   When you let people in with 2.6 and 142 LSAT is probably not going to end well for that person, obviously there can be an exception, but the argument that the LSAT is to much pressure for a minority makes no sense, because plenty of URM's do fine and at then end of the day if you can't handle the pressure of the LSAT there is no way you will be able to handle the pressure of law school or being a lawyer.

« Reply #641 on: July 18, 2010, 07:05:22 AM »
I have to admit that I enjoy Son of a pickle. First, they are intelligent. Second, I love reading their post because of how well they communicate, as well as argue.

I agree with Son of a Pickles argument regarding AA, but I also believe that legacy should be done away with for the exact same reasons.

« Reply #642 on: July 18, 2010, 07:38:27 AM »
I read back through a few of the pages (not all) but what is with the attacks on SOP? They are young so therefor they are coddled, and it is bad that they live with their parents, or that their parents assist them at a young age. I mean honestly- big, Cooley- are you actually attempting to use that as argument? Your parents did not do the same for you? This kid is making all the right choices. Do you honestly believe that type of intellect is common place? You do understand the level of effort they must have put forth to distinguish themselves. As adults and non-traditional students we tend to complain about young adults, but here you have one making all the right decisions and where is the support? I think people forget what they were like at a certain age...

SOP- I did not score a 160 my first attempt, and I am not sure I will take it again. That said,  I'll be an excellent lawyer. I know if I take it again I can bridge the 4 point gap. Good luck on your test and let us know what you score. BTW- when are you taking it?

Cicero

• UF 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: July 18, 2010, 08:13:49 AM »
@tryinLawSchool
Cooley/Thelo/Numitor/other names at other times--is gone now, but he used to go all around this site picking fights with everyone. Sometimes he would try to give advice, but he spent most of his time insulting other posters. He finally left or was kicked out by a moderator.

SOP--He also made some very insulting comments to other posters, but mostly made statements that at times came off as arrogant and as if he believed he was better than others. (but was nowhere near as bad as Cooley)

« Reply #644 on: July 18, 2010, 09:47:49 AM »
@tryinLawSchool
Cooley/Thelo/Numitor/other names at other times--is gone now, but he used to go all around this site picking fights with everyone. Sometimes he would try to give advice, but he spent most of his time insulting other posters. He finally left or was kicked out by a moderator.

SOP--He also made some very insulting comments to other posters, but mostly made statements that at times came off as arrogant and as if he believed he was better than others. (but was nowhere near as bad as Cooley)

Oh did not know that about Cooley, but SOP is a little arrogant- just being young, and some of it is deserved-he is pretty good. He'll temper that as he grows.

« Reply #645 on: July 18, 2010, 10:17:10 AM »
The majority of people actually don't live with their parents into their mid 20's, and don't rely on them for all of their bills.

I read back through a few of the pages (not all) but what is with the attacks on SOP? They are young so therefor they are coddled, and it is bad that they live with their parents, or that their parents assist them at a young age. I mean honestly- big, Cooley- are you actually attempting to use that as argument? Your parents did not do the same for you? This kid is making all the right choices. Do you honestly believe that type of intellect is common place? You do understand the level of effort they must have put forth to distinguish themselves. As adults and non-traditional students we tend to complain about young adults, but here you have one making all the right decisions and where is the support? I think people forget what they were like at a certain age...

SOP- I did not score a 160 my first attempt, and I am not sure I will take it again. That said,  I'll be an excellent lawyer. I know if I take it again I can bridge the 4 point gap. Good luck on your test and let us know what you score. BTW- when are you taking it?

« Reply #646 on: July 18, 2010, 10:49:36 AM »
The majority of people actually don't live with their parents into their mid 20's, and don't rely on them for all of their bills.

I have no idea what the percentage is, but the people that are not, may not be attending college from the time they are 18. To go through law school starting college at 18 would have you graduating at 25. If you are doing well in school I see absolutely nothing wrong with your parents assisting you. I actually think it is fine, especially if you are making the right choices.

« Reply #647 on: July 18, 2010, 11:01:09 AM »
It probally matters what community you grow up in, to decide your view on that.
I agree with you that if your parents are millioniares and don't feel the strain, then go for it.
What bugs me I guess, is to see parents take out "parent plus loans" to take care of it for their kids. To me, if someone would do that to their parents, it just screams about how little they respect them. I have friends who had to have parents cosign, and I understand that from a credit requirment perspective, but to have the parent take the bucket load of the debt, just screams selfishness.

I have no idea what the percentage is, but the people that are not, may not be attending college from the time they are 18. To go through law school starting college at 18 would have you graduating at 25. If you are doing well in school I see absolutely nothing wrong with your parents assisting you. I actually think it is fine, especially if you are making the right choices.

« Reply #648 on: July 18, 2010, 11:20:10 AM »
It probally matters what community you grow up in, to decide your view on that.
I agree with you that if your parents are millioniares and don't feel the strain, then go for it.
What bugs me I guess, is to see parents take out "parent plus loans" to take care of it for their kids. To me, if someone would do that to their parents, it just screams about how little they respect them. I have friends who had to have parents cosign, and I understand that from a credit requirment perspective, but to have the parent take the bucket load of the debt, just screams selfishness.

I disagree-the system is set up to prevent kids who are considered dependent from being able to take loans to do it themselves so I am not sure how you can fault them. If they do not receive scholarships- the money they are offered is dep. upon their parents salary. Not their choice. I see nothing wrong with it. Parents should be prepared to help their children as much as possible if they make that decision, as long as their children are making the right choices. It is not selfish, as long as the child is rewarding their parents sacrifice by doing their best and being successful. I tend to believe parents enjoy helping

« Reply #649 on: July 18, 2010, 11:36:11 AM »
Once again, don't you think that should depend on the parent? Yes, rich parents kids can't get a full govt ride, and can probally afford it just fine. Poor parents kids can get more govt aid, but if it boils down to loans are you telling me that if your parents were lower middle class(lets say $30K a year annual income) you'd be cool with letting them go into hundreds of thousands of debt when you could take the loans under your name(even if they had to cosign, you'd be the main one on it)? Shouldn't the kids not want to prevent their parents from being able to retire due to their actions?