Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why Affirmative Action is Justified  (Read 90914 times)

sonofapickle

Re: Why Affirmative Action is Justified
« Reply #630 on: May 21, 2010, 02:38:17 AM »
I am just saying that about you, one person, not all black people. Also, I plan on staying with the folks as I plan on creating my own wealth. I have stocks already, but not enough money in them to be considered wealthy. I want to buy real estate properties, save up for my own house, buy commodities, trade agriculture and stocks, just to build up wealth for my future. 2 years living off parents, expected 1 million dollars from trading, put that in the bank, live off of the interest of 5% in an annuity. That means 100k/year if you didn't get that minus the taxes, and you have your money work for you. You're an idiot who does not and cannot think accurately. The military messed you up obviously.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #631 on: May 21, 2010, 02:42:40 AM »
Yeah, that whole self reliant thing.......messed up.

PS
It dosnt matter if you are only racist against one guy, its still felt by the group as an insult to the group at large. Mabey if you stuck your head out of your parents little sheltered liberal arts college world you'd understan that.

I am just saying that about you, one person, not all black people. Also, I plan on staying with the folks as I plan on creating my own wealth. I have stocks already, but not enough money in them to be considered wealthy. I want to buy real estate properties, save up for my own house, buy commodities, trade agriculture and stocks, just to build up wealth for my future. 2 years living off parents, expected 1 million dollars from trading, put that in the bank, live off of the interest of 5% in an annuity. That means 100k/year if you didn't get that minus the taxes, and you have your money work for you. You're an idiot who does not and cannot think accurately. The military messed you up obviously.

sonofapickle

« Reply #632 on: May 21, 2010, 02:46:30 AM »
Who said I was racist towards you? You called me racist for not knowing you were black, so I said because you would stoop so low as to say that, you have a high chance of using AA to get a job. You obviously don't understand numbers though, so I will just say this, staying at home = less debt for you, which also equals more money, thus creating more wealth for you. That then equals better prospects in life.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #633 on: May 21, 2010, 02:48:26 AM »
Because you called me an "ape" in another part of this forum and use "AA" in a negative light as if it were the N word itself.
How do you know I am on it, and if so how is it bad? Does this apply to all "apes" of just me?

Who said I was racist towards you? You called me racist for not knowing you were black, so I said because you would stoop so low as to say that, you have a high chance of using AA to get a job. You obviously don't understand numbers though, so I will just say this, staying at home = less debt for you, which also equals more money, thus creating more wealth for you. That then equals better prospects in life.

sonofapickle

« Reply #634 on: May 21, 2010, 02:57:18 AM »
Affirmative Action does not do anything for black people but only hurt them. Affirmative Action reinforces racist notions, not decrease racist notions. If I were black and a company would not hire me, then I would not want to be in that company as even if I did get the job, the stress would not be worth it. There would be better, more friendly jobs out there for me. I think Affirmative Action is primarily for angry people who want to get back at the person not hiring them.

Also, sometimes an employer just does not hire you because your personality is not suited for the firm. That does not mean you go out and get AA. That just reinforces more racist notions. Your perception of why someone does not higher you is not providentially fact.

legalized

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: May 21, 2010, 11:48:30 PM »
Affirmative Action does not do anything for black people but only hurt them. Affirmative Action reinforces racist notions, not decrease racist notions. If I were black and a company would not hire me, then I would not want to be in that company as even if I did get the job, the stress would not be worth it. There would be better, more friendly jobs out there for me. I think Affirmative Action is primarily for angry people who want to get back at the person not hiring them.

Also, sometimes an employer just does not hire you because your personality is not suited for the firm. That does not mean you go out and get AA. That just reinforces more racist notions. Your perception of why someone does not higher you is not providentially fact.

So it's this thread that started the love-hate (i keeed) relationship between you two.

Wow.  :o

Actually, going by your logic here, best thing for every black law student to do then is to only attend Howard or FAMU's law school and go to work for only themselves in solo practice or a black firm owner or a firm with majority blacks.

Hispanic ones to go to ones with highest concentrations of Hispanics...Asians go to that one in Cali that I think I saw was majority or significantly Asian.

Looks like segregation to me. Except small issue with that: the whites by virtue of historical advantage would then be the only ones with access to all positions of power since law is the biggest nepotism/legacy/ole boy network in the professional fields...and that means every other group would get marginalized.

And correction, as a white person (who is not an immigrant or first gen), there would be better more friendly jobs.  In your hypothesis, you forget that for blacks especially there many times IS no better or friendlier option.  Everywhere in this country the higher up you go in a career, the more white male it looks.  So scratch that. Imagine a world where you are not welcome ANYwhere if they can hire someone who does NOT look like you, and only when none of their own kind wants the job then they sigh and huff and take you, waiting to see you screw up like they expect you to. 

Toxic, ain't it?

But that's not the life of all minorities, nor is that the mindset of all whites.  Many minorities AND whites had working class families going way back, and many share the clean slate of the immigrant...
Law schools left to their own devices are not giving equal access to legal education.  Why should minorities be so accepting of your rather exclusive view yet you can't/won't accept that whites should be accepting of the opposite view?

I like the idea of running my own show versus kissing up to someone who doesn't want me there, actually, but for one, I like and need the option to work for someone else, for two, I am not willing to think that every white person would stay away from me given the choice, and the ones that actually care about life outside their own little world should be able to have a wellrounded higher learning experience, and for three with the increased earning power of the growing middle class of minorities, it is simply good business sense to be able to send representatives out at all levels and in all facets of the law that look like the newcomers and speak their language (culturally, linguistically, literally, figuratively, whatever).

It's not just the kindness of their hearts why they do it.  It all comes down to money...schools that don't take federal funds can be as racist prick as they feel like.

And for four, you can't assume that every minority in the class got in because of AA.  That's your thinking why you even say things like this.  What about the ones whose scores and whole app. package are equivalent to the white ones present in their 1L class?  They should miss the chance to attend a school possibly nearer to them or more geared towards their interests than an east coast school, for example, simply because the profs, admin, and students will not like the colour of their skin or the look of their eyes or hair or accent? 

I would think it's obvious then that the problem is in whoever thinks like that, not the URMs.  The world and people's hearts are not perfect, so adjustments have to be made for those known imperfections.

Think of it as a form of legacy admit.  From the legacy of injustice and prejudice against minorities as opposed to "oh my daddy went here."  There are many brilliant minorities whose daddies COULD have given them traditional legacy status, had they not been barred by law from attending the same school...had their ancestors not been penned up like goats instead of working to establish a future (Japanese)...the kids whose parents are not just rich but wealthy now did not get that way in one generation...it is a building up from subsistence level over time, over generations...think what happens when someone's family is actively prevented from getting past basic.  Their kids will be behind no matter how bright they are, same way a hurdler whose hurdles are nearly twice as high as the majority of runners' hurdles is THAT much more likely to hit one of the hurdles and fall.  They fail out of the race, their kid gets the crappy lane to start the race and the one whose parents had no such hurdles and won the race, that kid gets the nice inside track and normal hurdles.

And, people don't "go out and get" AA.  It's a federal mandate that businesses, esp. those with >50 employees, have to live by.  Often if you don't put your race down, some of them will note it for you when they see you.  It's supposedly optional and it's not suppose to be associated with identifiable info in your file, but it always is.

Anyway, I am going to give this a break cause this debate will never end as long as everyone has breath left in their body.

legalized

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: May 21, 2010, 11:54:36 PM »

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #637 on: May 25, 2010, 01:50:45 PM »
I think the only problem with affirmative action is that if you let somebody in with a 142 LSAT there is a good chance they won't pass the bar. I feel the LSAT is a an indicator of how well you perform under pressure etc and I forget what the OP called it test discrimination/frustration I forget what it said, but that will be present on the bar as well and if you are Black,White, Yellow go into 100k in debt and you can't handle pressure on a test then there is a good chance they will fail the bar or fail out of law school, because the LSAT is the least pressure you will have in regards to anything law related to law school.

If you bomb the LSAT then you lose 100 bucks and then law school is not for you. On the other hand when you take your first finals you have already quit your job and are 15-20k in debt and haven't worked for 5 months that is a lot more pressure on you than the LSAT. Even if you get through all 3 years  then you have to pass the bar and you are 100k in debt and haven't worked for three years. That is tremendous pressure.

I think affirmative action is fair if the applicant scores 150 or above, because minorities do bring a differnt view point to the law and if they graduate and pass the bar they will help the legal profession. If they score 150 or above they at  they have a fighting chance to pass the bar, but on Lawschoolnumbers I have seen URM's admitted with scholarships with 144's etc and I think in that instance it is really wrong. If you get 144 or something it is indicator that you can't handle pressure, or don't see the nuances, etc and that is the minimum of what you need to get through law school and pass the bar.

Midget's haven't appealed the NBA for being discriminated against, because a Midget can't guard Shaq it would just  be embarrassing and bad for everybody.   When you let people in with 2.6 and 142 LSAT is probably not going to end well for that person, obviously there can be an exception, but the argument that the LSAT is to much pressure for a minority makes no sense, because plenty of URM's do fine and at then end of the day if you can't handle the pressure of the LSAT there is no way you will be able to handle the pressure of law school or being a lawyer.

sonofapickle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: May 25, 2010, 02:17:50 PM »
I see bigs viewpoint and agree with it. MY friend who is black got a 165 on her LSAT and GPA was 3.7. I just believe their are minorities who can handle pressure and those who cannot. Just like white people.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #639 on: May 25, 2010, 09:40:26 PM »
I like how the guy who claims to be better at grammer spelled there as their...... ::)

Mabey you do have a tiny bit a real lawstudent in you somewhere afterall.... ;)

I see bigs viewpoint and agree with it. MY friend who is black got a 165 on her LSAT and GPA was 3.7. I just believe their are minorities who can handle pressure and those who cannot. Just like white people.