Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why Affirmative Action is Justified  (Read 90951 times)

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Why Affirmative Action is Justified
« Reply #530 on: March 28, 2007, 11:57:55 PM »
What if she was transfered to a school district full of kids living in trailors?  If they behaved poorly then she wouldn't want to teach there either.  Like you said she isn't really racist, she just doesn't want to teach misbehaved kids whether they are white or not. 

I mentioned this on another post and should have clarified it here that I was referring to higher education. 

1. If you acknowledge that there are race-based differences in the quality of K-12 education kids receive, you might want to consider how this affects people's odds as they move on (or don't) to college and graduate/professional schools.

2. This thread is about stereotype threat and bias on the LSAT, not generalized affirmative action muddle, and it has stayed remarkably on topic.  Perhaps if you read the first couple of pages, you'll feel better prepared to enter the conversation and better represent your side of the debate.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: March 29, 2007, 12:06:31 AM »
Wow, Miss P.  Alright already.  You sound like a broken record.  I have read the first several pages on this thread and it is all very interesting.  I didn't know that I wasn't allowed to deviate from the OP. 

As far as acknowledging that there is racism in K-12, I don't think I agree with that.  I believe that the descrimination has more to do with income.  It doesn't matter what race you are, if you are poor.  Poor areas are under funded which lead to lower quality K-12 schools.  This is a problem for poor whites, hispanics, blacks, etc. 

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: March 29, 2007, 12:12:18 AM »
Yes, Yes, Yes I do.  However, since I made the error of changing the direction of the thread I am now responding to all of the comments against my original point that I don't think that racism is a problem in higher education. 

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: March 29, 2007, 12:14:57 AM »
Wow, Miss P.  Alright already.  You sound like a broken record.  I have read the first several pages on this thread and it is all very interesting.  I didn't know that I wasn't allowed to deviate from the OP. 

As far as acknowledging that there is racism in K-12, I don't think I agree with that.  I believe that the descrimination has more to do with income.  It doesn't matter what race you are, if you are poor.  Poor areas are under funded which lead to lower quality K-12 schools.  This is a problem for poor whites, hispanics, blacks, etc. 

It's just that none of your posts in this thread evinced any awareness of why you had been led here.  Saying that there's no discrimination in higher education is not really relevant.  Stereotype threat is about systemic bias.

Actually, while I agree with you that poor children of all races face educational disadvantages, I think you underestimate the extent to which residential and school segregation make black and Latino children concentrated in the worst schools (and face other educational disadvantages, too, like harsher discipline policies and higher special education placements, etc.).  You may be interested in some of the reports on this available at the Harvard Civil Rights Project website.  This is a good one to check out, I think, because it contains the most recent nationwide data.

EDIT: Why Segregation Matters may also be helpful.

I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: March 29, 2007, 12:24:31 AM »
I haven't read the first few pages.  Pls explain it to me.

No thanks.  I took the time to read what the OP put and I plan on looking into other research on it  tomorrow at work.  If you are interested in it, then read what has already been posted. 

You may be interested in some of the reports on this available at the Harvard Civil Rights Project website.  This is a good one to check out, I think, because it contains the most recent nationwide data.

I am interested and will read that tomorrow as well.

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: March 29, 2007, 12:55:37 AM »
(Miss P) sound(s) like a broken record.

This may be true, but at least it's a good record!  Possibly something by Dylan or Joni Mitchell.

Editor's note: I will no longer talk about affirmative action and will be using this thread to flirt with Miss P or anyone else who comes along.   
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.

eastend

• View Profile
« Reply #536 on: March 29, 2007, 09:51:56 AM »
The problem is the LSAT and stereotype threat, correct?  Then why do the beneficiaries of AA do less well when they get into law school?  I would think URMs would get annoyed at being used to fill quotas.  What was I thinking, unlike myself, y'all have that entrenched sense of entitlement.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: March 29, 2007, 12:19:53 PM »
The problem is the LSAT and stereotype threat, correct?  Then why do the beneficiaries of AA do less well when they get into law school?  I would think URMs would get annoyed at being used to fill quotas.  What was I thinking, unlike myself, y'all have that entrenched sense of entitlement.

Yes, eastend, that's exactly it.  I have an entrenched sense of entitlement, which is why I think the admissions process should focus on factors other than a biased test. 

There are multiple explanations for why URM students, on average, have worse law school grades than white students, ranging from inferior K-12 and undergraduate educational resources to institutional biases in the law school.  But since URM students, on average, get worse grades than white students at lower-ranked, same tier schools (presumably the ones into which they would have been admitted absent affirmative action programs), it seems clear that their LSAT scores are not the appropriate measure of their performance in law schools (providing another reason to discount the LSAT especially in admissions decisions for URM applicants).

annab

• Sr. Citizen
  • I will not pay taxes for war, thank you very much
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: March 29, 2007, 01:09:46 PM »

Do you have any concept of just how whiny you come off?  You sound like a petulant child, sulking in the corner.

t...

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: August 21, 2007, 12:28:06 PM »
Cady on October 16, 2007, 10:41:52 PM

i rhink tyi'm inejying my fudgcicle too much

Huey on February 07, 2007, 11:15:32 PM

I went to a party in an apartment in a silo once.