Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why Affirmative Action is Justified  (Read 88924 times)

LegalMatters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Why Affirmative Action is Justified
« Reply #520 on: March 27, 2007, 01:17:18 PM »
It's reading things like this that reminds me how much I enjoy watching people destroy stereotypes.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: March 28, 2007, 06:18:20 PM »

It's not.  It is a racist tool used by people claiming that they are against racism.  I love America. 

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: March 28, 2007, 06:22:53 PM »
Oh, so you're flame. I get it now.

Even though you are wrong, I am just happy that you think that you understand something.  This must be a big day for you. 

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: March 28, 2007, 11:24:43 PM »
We don't live in the 1950's anymore.  What proof is there that there is racism in the educational system?  Unless it can be shown that there is, then this is a weak argument. 

That fact that many schools use AA shows they aren't discriminating against minorities. There can't be discrimination if minorities are being favored.  If schools aren't discriminating against minorities in the admissions process, then we don't need it anymore. 

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: March 28, 2007, 11:31:04 PM »
We don't live in the 1950's anymore.  What proof is there that there is racism in the educational system?  Unless it can be shown that there is, then this is a weak argument. 

That fact that many schools use AA shows they aren't discriminating against minorities. There can't be discrimination if minorities are being favored.  If schools aren't discriminating against minorities in the admissions process, then we don't need it anymore. 

Did. You. Read. Even. A. Single. Post?
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #525 on: March 28, 2007, 11:32:08 PM »

Did. You. Read. Even. A. Single. Post?

MISS P HE GOT A 160 ON HIS PRACTICE LSAT LEAVE HIM ALONE!!!!
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: March 28, 2007, 11:36:07 PM »

Oh, shush, Hank.   Anyway, I'm a little intimidated by him because he pointed out how lame my Mr. Met doll 'tar is.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: March 28, 2007, 11:36:58 PM »

Oh, shush, Hank.   Anyway, I'm a little intimidated by him because he pointed out how lame my Mr. Met doll 'tar is.

Lame?  Try super cool!
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: March 28, 2007, 11:40:50 PM »
My SO just got off the phone with her mother, who is an elementary school teacher.  Subject: how she hates teaching now that district lines have been redrawn and lots of minorities go to her school.  If they don't transfer her to a richer (read: whiter) school, she's going to quit.

Yes.  There is racism in education.

Have you ever been a teacher?
CLS '10

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: March 28, 2007, 11:52:25 PM »
What if she was transfered to a school district full of kids living in trailors?  If they behaved poorly then she wouldn't want to teach there either.  Like you said she isn't really racist, she just doesn't want to teach misbehaved kids whether they are white or not. 

I mentioned this on another post and should have clarified it here that I was referring to higher education.