Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why Affirmative Action is Justified  (Read 88193 times)

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
  • Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
Re: Why Affirmative Action is Justified (by red.)
« Reply #130 on: July 07, 2006, 11:15:34 PM »
That's alright.  We'll hash this out some other night.  I still see some gaping holes in your argument, but I think we're moving closer to a point where we can figure out exactly what is useful in our differences.

And I'm not attending law school next year.  It's my cycle -- I'm still finishing my BA.

Pish, J only wants to waste YOUR time.  Get wise.

thorc954

« Reply #131 on: July 07, 2006, 11:15:43 PM »
Whoa, looks like you guys got sidetracked on a discussion about the definition of racism.  If racism is a concept, then why can't you both be right, there is structual racism that affects whole societies and then there are normative beliefs  that individuals hold.  They are different things clearly---and if you both acknowledge they are different abstract concepts does it really matter which one gets the title racism?

And whats this about everybody being prejudice?  I certainly agree we all look at the world from a unique (very narrow, self centered) perspective, but that doesn't make you prejudice per se.  You may just very well not be aware of the other sides position, feelings, and desires.  Not everybody takes Atticus Finch's advice and puts themselves into other people's shoes.  But then there are other people who actively hate and spread messages of hate, and whatever you call the two, they also seem worth distinguishing.

your first point was something I was trying to suggest when I said that they are mearly words.  The narrow minded view that we have is what makes us prejudice because we are viewing things through certain lenses. Prejudice comes in the forms of stereotypes and all other things. It isnt inherently bad to have these prejudices as long as you are open to change.  Then again, there does exist a difference between passive racists who merely are content with the status quo and outward racists who spread the message.  

I love your first arguement though and am happy that you mentioned it

SapientiaEstPotentia

• Sr. Citizen
  • Three time CHAMP
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 10, 2006, 10:53:04 PM »
Do you think that a Ralwsian justification of AA follows from the Difference Principle? 
One cannot conceive anything so strange and so implausible that it has not already been said by one philosopher or another. -- René Descartes, A Discourse on Method

H4CS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 10, 2006, 11:12:44 PM »
Do you think that a Ralwsian justification of AA follows from the Difference Principle? 

Let me guess, you were one of those students who would read his hand in class and ask "What would Durkheim say about globalization" to mask the fact that you didn't finish the reading.  Next.

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 10, 2006, 11:56:14 PM »

Let me guess, you were one of those students who would read his hand in class and ask "What would Durkheim say about globalization" to mask the fact that you didn't finish the reading.  Next.

Let me guess, you were one of those clowns who stood in front of ice sculptures, marveling at their height while wishing you could get back to masturbating in your parent's basement (which I've heard is NOT illegal...)

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: July 11, 2006, 12:00:44 AM »
Oh, bass, you guys are going to have so much fun in Spaulding's parents' basement.  I hope you end up in the same section.

Meanwhile, red. would be really disappointed that we've gone off-topic.  I am going to mention the stereotype threat here to legitimate this post.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #136 on: July 11, 2006, 12:20:30 AM »
hahahahaah

Screw red.  The deviation was still on topic, but it was a little haggle-ish.  Semantics probably don't deserve two pages on this thread.

Well, at least not that far off the direct path, they don't.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 11, 2006, 12:24:33 AM »
Well, J, you know I'd follow you down most paths.  Look, there's a dark alley right there.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #138 on: July 11, 2006, 12:28:04 AM »
Ladies first, Miss P. 

*ducks behind a car and disappears*

SapientiaEstPotentia

• Sr. Citizen
  • Three time CHAMP
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 11, 2006, 01:54:02 AM »
You turn the burden of proof by asking if it’s legitimate to claim that “we have a true meritocracy,” for a true meritocracy is the necessary antithesis assumed by those who claim that AA is wrong? 
One cannot conceive anything so strange and so implausible that it has not already been said by one philosopher or another. -- René Descartes, A Discourse on Method