Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ....  (Read 2671 times)

mantis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Do Asians get treated the same as Whites with regard to Applications?
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2006, 09:41:26 AM »
I was just basing the statement on the stories on NPR. 

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5613964

In particular the story about the partner who left a message "speaking gibberish, trying to sound like an Asian speaker."  Juvenile?  Yes.  Totally offensive?  Yes.  Sort of disheartening for that particular associate given that it sounds like it's coming from a superior?  I would think so.  I mean, I hope for myself that I would have the balls to bring it to the offender and try to explain why it was -- among other things, damaging to the firm in terms of discriminatory workplace practices -- inappropriate and offensive/hurtful, but who knows.  I can't imagine it's easy to confront if you're the new guy on the block and your livelihood sort of depends on your job.

MotownSaint

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2006, 03:56:30 AM »
It bothers me that I had to think long and hard as to whether I wanted to indicate on my applications whether I was Asian American or not.  Growing up in small town Arkansas as a Korean-Adoptee resulted in quite a bit of dreaming of more metropolitan areas, where I felt a guy like me could walk down the street or enter a grocery store without double-takes and stares.  I don't know about the population of Asians in California, but I come from a place where there are so few Asians that I am often mistaken for some odd breed of "Mexican," as they call it.

Surely, that must count for something.

h2xblive

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2006, 09:15:16 AM »
It bothers me that I had to think long and hard as to whether I wanted to indicate on my applications whether I was Asian American or not.  Growing up in small town Arkansas as a Korean-Adoptee resulted in quite a bit of dreaming of more metropolitan areas, where I felt a guy like me could walk down the street or enter a grocery store without double-takes and stares.  I don't know about the population of Asians in California, but I come from a place where there are so few Asians that I am often mistaken for some odd breed of "Mexican," as they call it.

In the admissions process?

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2006, 05:21:07 PM »

I am curious, are your parents white or Asian?