Law School Discussion

Satisfaction and Law

Satisfaction and Law
« on: June 07, 2006, 12:33:41 PM »
After reading a number of posts I am beginning to wonder why so many people match a career in law with the inability to be satisfied. Why is this? Is this low level of satisfaction for a particular field (ie Biglaw) only? I just don't understand. Is this point of view skewwed by the minority of attorneys who happen to tell everyone they know how much they hate their jobs. I have to believe that there are a lot more attorneys out there that like their jobs than those who dont. I plan on (down the road) opening my own firm, which couldn't make me happier. Any thoughts?

Towlie

Re: Satisfaction and Law
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 01:46:58 PM »
After reading a number of posts I am beginning to wonder why so many people match a career in law with the inability to be satisfied. Why is this? Is this low level of satisfaction for a particular field (ie Biglaw) only? I just don't understand. Is this point of view skewwed by the minority of attorneys who happen to tell everyone they know how much they hate their jobs. I have to believe that there are a lot more attorneys out there that like their jobs than those who dont. I plan on (down the road) opening my own firm, which couldn't make me happier. Any thoughts?

Just by asking around at my Dad's firm, about 50% of the lawyers I spoke with were unhappy with their choice and adviced me not to go to law school. The other 50% loved it and couldn't imagine doing anything else. This was at a small firm, if that helps.