Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Beginners questions  (Read 412 times)

ace0260

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Beginners questions
« on: June 07, 2006, 03:24:36 AM »
I just have a few intro questions...

what kind of scores are average for the first practice LSAT (without prep)?

what sections are generally considered more difficult? I know this is a subjective question but there are usually tendencies...ex, SAT verbal is generally considered tougher than SAT math

any info on your personal experiences and tips on beginning prep would be great

wiretin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Beginners questions
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 04:11:24 AM »
I suppose it is different for everyone, depending on their strengths and weaknesses. I found logic games to be the most difficult and reading comprehension to be the easiest.

veg

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 04:13:24 AM »
I believe average beginning scores are just as varied as the actual scores themselves. I started at a 150, but I have a friend who started at 170, and know someone else who started in the 130's.
Games are the easiest section to learn, though. I think most people agree on that?

LizPendens™

• LSD Obsessed
  • The Real Alice -- Adventures in Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 05:26:15 AM »
but I have a friend who started at 170...

Sick. Really sick.

There foam'd rebellious Logic, gagg'd and bound.                           
            -  Charles Dodgson,  "Lewis Carroll"                               
                         "The Game of Logic"

Monarch heels

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 05:33:18 AM »
I think the logic games are the most intimidating at first, but then they slowly turn into a twisted sort of fun.  They can be the most satisfying part because you can usually tell if you've nailed them.  On the other hand, they can make you want to cry on the spot if you just can't figure one out.

veg

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 10:12:27 AM »
but I have a friend who started at 170...

Sick. Really sick.

He's brilliant - probably the smartest person I know. The sick part is his awesome score on the real thing. :D

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 08:40:08 PM »
1) Where you start out will probably depend a lot on your past standardized test experience.  If you got above 750 on SAT verbal, you will probably start out higher than someone who scored in the 600's. 

2) Take a course only if you don't think you have the discipline to stick to a practicing schedule yourself.  It's not like the courses have some realm of special knowledge that nobody else has.

3) I have found that Reading comp is more of a you-get-it-or-you-don't type thing, while logic games can be learned fairly easily.  Logical reasoning can be learned too, but it takes much longer than logic games.  I'm finally getting to where I can consistently miss 2 or less questions per LR section, but to get to that point I had to do about 1200 of them. 
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.