you need to ask solid questions  >:(

:( what's a solid question in this instance? kinda hostile btw  :D

One Step Ahead

• you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
Re: 2L/3L Fall Campus Interview Thread
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2006, 01:41:30 PM »

I am interested in firms that have a strong international practice and a commitment to probono in New York City.  I am thinking about X, Y, Z--does anyone know anything about these firms?

J D

• Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2006, 01:52:36 PM »
tag. This is a tad off topic, but those of us who want PI work for our 1L summer (which might be only me) - is there anything I can do now to help prepare myself (aside from getting good grades 1st semester)?

You can also try looking at a resource like www.pslawnet.org.  Registration is free, and they have some listings fro GOV/PI jobs in major markets around the country.

M DOT

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2006, 02:06:34 PM »
ummmm sooooo, can anyone explain the "point" system to me even though they may vary from school to school it would be nice to have a general idea of the concept

Statistic

• I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2006, 02:33:04 PM »

I am interested in firms that have a strong international practice and a commitment to probono in New York City.  I am thinking about X, Y, Z--does anyone know anything about these firms?

Should I know what I'm interested in by now?

One Step Ahead

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2006, 02:36:06 PM »
you should have a couple of ideas that you'd be able to parrot back to interviewers :)

Statistic

• I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2006, 02:40:20 PM »
you should have a couple of ideas that you'd be able to parrot back to interviewers :)

none of this stuff interests me though. :( international corporate seems fine.

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2006, 03:05:38 PM »
I actually think its the opposite.  SF is ridiculously hard to crack from the East Coast.  DC is only difficult if you want appellate lit or are very selective about the "caliber" of firm you'd want.

OK, well if you're willing to take anything, no market is difficult.  I think the relative dearth of people from Harvard wanting to go to SF (vs. NYC and DC) will make breaking into the market easier.  Firms in SF want a few people from Harvard.  Being black adds to the appeal.  Black Harvard grads are a dime a dozen in DC...not so in SF.

One Step Ahead

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2006, 03:11:51 PM »
I actually think its the opposite.  SF is ridiculously hard to crack from the East Coast.  DC is only difficult if you want appellate lit or are very selective about the "caliber" of firm you'd want.

OK, well if you're willing to take anything, no market is difficult.  I think the relative dearth of people from Harvard wanting to go to SF (vs. NYC and DC) will make breaking into the market easier.  Firms in SF want a few people from Harvard.  Being black adds to the appeal.  Black Harvard grads are a dime a dozen in DC...not so in SF.

SF is a lot smaller market and rather incestuous.  they want Harvard people, but they want the ones that have some ties to the area.  California is not hurting for qualified attorneys so they can be very selective.  I don't think rbg will have trouble getting an offer, but it won't be as easy as DC