5 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 35

2L/3L Fall Campus Interview Thread

One Step Ahead

• you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
Re: 2L/3L Fall Campus Interview Thread
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 07:53:08 PM »
tag. This is a tad off topic, but those of us who want PI work for our 1L summer (which might be only me) - is there anything I can do now to help prepare myself (aside from getting good grades 1st semester)?

That is not a tad off topic, it is COMPLETELY off topic.  There is a 1L thread you know.  Please use it.  :D 

One Step Ahead

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2006, 08:00:36 PM »
that website is helpful rbg. i didn't know anyone who had a problem getting p.i. employment at my school cn. but some of the jobs are pretty competitive like naacp ldef or aclu. but i don't remember them asking for my grades--i was rejected mostly b/c i was a 1L. if you do a winter externship with one of them--you might be in a better position to get a summer internship. also, i thought funding would be a problem--i was waitlisted at first. but in the end everyone got funding. i heard last year that they even dipped into the public interest funding rejects. i can't imagine harvard to be that different. there were also alot of other sources for p.i. funding as well.

i'm having a mini dilemma about oci. i was thinking about using my lottery points on firms that do split paid public interest--like the ones on the yale list. but at the same time, those firms don't necessarily have practice groups i'm interested in--so which one is better? use points on firms that have practice groups I want to try? or firms that do the paid p.i. split? thats what i'm thinking about now.

Faith, might I ask which practice groups are you thinking about trying?  I think Alci raises a good point if you think there is a chance that you might work for a firm for a couple of years to pay down your debt, you'd probably be better off going there as opposed to random firm with the sponsored split.  Just as a footnote I think most firms will let you split with a public interest organization--they just aren't willing to foot the bill.   If that is something you are interested in doing, you get a sample of both worlds--still making $20K (as opposed to maybe $30k from someone who works at a firm straight through) and make those crucial public interest contacts.

One Step Ahead

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2006, 04:06:01 PM »
bumperoo

One Step Ahead

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2006, 04:12:48 PM »
What markets are people considering? 
I'm primarily looking at DC, SF maybe Chicago for the low cost of living. :-\

Statistic

• I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2006, 08:03:06 AM »
I'm considering NYC, SF and Ohio or Chicago firms as safeties.

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2006, 08:44:59 AM »
DC and ATL

Statistic

• I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2006, 08:47:22 AM »
which is easier -  DC or SF?

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2006, 09:15:37 AM »
DC is notoriously difficult.  I think you would get an Ivy edge in SF, but not really in DC.

One Step Ahead

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2006, 01:11:42 PM »
I actually think its the opposite.  SF is ridiculously hard to crack from the East Coast.  DC is only difficult if you want appellate lit or are very selective about the "caliber" of firm you'd want.

Statistic

• I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2006, 01:12:48 PM »
What's the real answer?