5 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 35

2L/3L Fall Campus Interview Thread

One Step Ahead

• you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
2L/3L Fall Campus Interview Thread
« on: June 06, 2006, 10:16:06 PM »
This is a little early, but I know we have several 2Ls/3Ls who will start the bidding process for on campus interviws this fall.  Hopefully this thread can serve as a clearinghouse for information on firms/public interest organizations.
Perhaps we can list firms/groups we are interested in and/or would like to more hear information about.  What are we looking for in firms?  How do you anticipate making a decision etc?  As we get closer we can share interview tips etc

Statistic

• I never had a chance
    • View Profile
Re: 2L/3L Fall Campus Interview Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 10:20:29 PM »

Hybrid Vigor

• prestigious
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 07:38:30 AM »
tag. This is a tad off topic, but those of us who want PI work for our 1L summer (which might be only me) - is there anything I can do now to help prepare myself (aside from getting good grades 1st semester)?

Statistic

• I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 08:07:27 AM »
tag. This is a tad off topic, but those of us who want PI work for our 1L summer (which might be only me) - is there anything I can do now to help prepare myself (aside from getting good grades 1st semester)?

write a resume, look at cover letters,  look at what types of jobs are available

Hybrid Vigor

• prestigious
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 08:11:58 AM »

write a resume, look at cover letters,  look at what types of jobs are available

I have a resume/cover letters. So basically I just need to figure out what I want to do? YAY. And I have to apply for my summer funding?

Statistic

• I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 08:16:55 AM »

I have a resume/cover letters. So basically I just need to figure out what I want to do? YAY. And I have to apply for my summer funding?

well you have to tailor the cover letter to the job but knowing what a good one look like was my point. yah - and you have to apply for spif. knowing exactly what you want to do helps speed the process along come dec. 1st

Nemesis

• The High Priestess
    • View Profile

faith2005

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 10:51:30 AM »
that website is helpful rbg. i didn't know anyone who had a problem getting p.i. employment at my school cn. but some of the jobs are pretty competitive like naacp ldef or aclu. but i don't remember them asking for my grades--i was rejected mostly b/c i was a 1L. if you do a winter externship with one of them--you might be in a better position to get a summer internship. also, i thought funding would be a problem--i was waitlisted at first. but in the end everyone got funding. i heard last year that they even dipped into the public interest funding rejects. i can't imagine harvard to be that different. there were also alot of other sources for p.i. funding as well.

i'm having a mini dilemma about oci. i was thinking about using my lottery points on firms that do split paid public interest--like the ones on the yale list. but at the same time, those firms don't necessarily have practice groups i'm interested in--so which one is better? use points on firms that have practice groups I want to try? or firms that do the paid p.i. split? thats what i'm thinking about now.

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 04:03:05 PM »
Depends on whether your goal is to work for a firm immediately after law school.  If so, then summer at one that does stuff you're interested in.  If the goal is just to make some money to pay down the loans, then do one that allows you to split with PI.