Law School Discussion

How easier are part-time/evening programs?

How easier are part-time/evening programs?
« on: June 06, 2006, 07:45:22 PM »
I applied full time but was only accepted to the part time program at the school I am probably going to end up at. At first, I was a little pissed off but now I fee relieved because I realized it will be a much easier transition. I will supposedly only have 1 class per day (from like 5:30-7:30) Monday-Thursday with Friday's off. The regular full-time program has 5 courses instead of the 4 that the evening program has.

My question is how much easier in terms of commitment + studying time are part-time programs usually? What should I be expecting? I don't plan on working at all and plan on devoting my days to studying and going to school M-Th. in the evenings. How much less of a commitment will the evening program be compared to a typical full-time program?

The good thing about this is that they told me I will be allowed to transfer into the full-time program after the 1st year and still graduate in 3 years if I do one summer session from Mid May to the end of July. Also, I am coming straight from undergrad and graduated early, so at least I know I have the convenience of not having to rush, although I really would not mind graduating in 3 years if I find I can manage it.

latinlord

• Attorney at Law in Philadelphia Law Firm
    • View Profile
    • Fundraiser for Nephew who lost both parents
    • Email
Re: How easier are part-time/evening programs?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 08:36:06 PM »
No classes on Fridays!! What school is that?!! I'm so jealous!Seriously though Congrats! Where are you planning on going?? Is it going to be a far move? My school has us go M-F  530 to 730. I'm actually here now for a Summer startup program at Indiana U- Indianapolis.  I felt the same way, when I first heard that I wasn't accepted into the full time program, but now when I think about it I am actually happy about it. I might get a parttime job, so I can have some extra cash, or work at the courthouse to get some experience. Seriously just today I got an offer to be a Balliff from the Law School. They only sent them out to parttimeers looking for work.  My roomate is going to go fultime, so i'll make him jealous when I don't have to be at class till night time. Anyway one huge benifit is the fact that we willhave less classes therefore a smaller about of work, which gives us more time to work on our classes. A lot of people who go PT work full time, I don't know how they do it!! I'm not, no way, this is an opportunity to take it easy and have a transition into it. Here is a link you should read posted by someone who knows a decent amount about PT programs, his advice helped me a lot when I asked him about it. http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,47645.msg1079417.html#msg1079417

Let me know if I can help you, and let me know how it goes!! Good luck and Congrats again!

AZWildcat

• What LS in San Diego looks like..
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 11:24:25 PM »
I find the playing field to be leveled in PT by those who are accomplished and don't slack, vs though with two classes and all of the time in the world.  They tend to balance.

The fallacy of part time is that it's half the work.  The output of the part time student tends to be much higher than FT-- they understand the cases more in depth, they're more into secondary sources, etc.

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 08:15:11 AM »
I'm in the same situation (PT-eve) unless something changes.  I would have thought that it would be easier to rank higher in PT programs because (most of) the people you attend class with have been working all day and have less time to prepare/study.  I also thought the transition would be easier, and I figured I would do better concentrating on fewer classes with more time.  After reading that post, I'm not so sure that it will be as easy as I thought. 

I'm tentatively planning on changing employment status to a contractor, hopefully no more than 20-30 hrs/month while I'm in school, for the first year.  Then I'd like to transfer to the FT program next fall and graduate in 3. 

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 11:14:17 AM »
i have a question... i was accepted into the pt day program at st johns (even though i applied full time.. oh well)... anyway, who am i competing w/???   According to the stats last year, there were only 26 or so pt day students (compared to a lot more at night)..

will i be competing against ft day kids bc i am in the same classes as them (minus 1) or against only pt day kids , or against the night kids ???   i guess ill call and ask myself , but if someone knows, thanks!!

latinlord

• Attorney at Law in Philadelphia Law Firm
    • View Profile
    • Fundraiser for Nephew who lost both parents
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 11:20:38 AM »
I have done fulltime and part time law school, part-time is more difficult to land in the top of the class. There are benefits to PT, but Latin Lord linked to my post about that, so Iíll share with you the bad, so you hopefully wonít have to learn the hard way.

PT is only one section so no splitting up of LSAT/GPAís/Scholarships between sections to ďevenĒ it out like FT.

A lot of PTís have fulltime jobs and families, they know how to manage time like you would not believe, and procrastination to them = losing 20 mins more of sleep a night, they donít do it.

You will be amazed at some of the jobs your classmates will have/had, try outscoring a Government Procurer on a contracts exam, an Insurance Executive on a Torts exam, or two MDís when it comes to med malpractice, or the realtors in property class. Some of my classmates know more than the Profs, and the Profs admit it. (Note to all PTírs if you have a job that is really germane to a law class, donít tell the prof, he will call on you all the time as the class ďexpertĒ, poor MDís were on call everyday in torts.)

Finally most of these folks have seen the real world; they have already been successful in a career, and making a change because they have always wanted too. Many of them are paying for it out of pocket. These folks donít F around, they donít put crap off, they donít get hung-over, and they donít do anything, ever, half assed.

You have less room to slack, because no one else is slacking. The GPA spread for PT ranking is extremely tight compared to fulltime ranking, FT 3.25 would be safely top 30%, PT you need to get closer to 3.5 at my school. 8)

My advice: donít get cocky, donít let your guard down, and donít slack off, because if you do, you will get creamed.

Get to know that 45 y.o. mother of 3 who works fulltime; get in her study group, because you will learn things about time management you never knew. That woman can get more done in the three hours after she puts her kids to bed than we can with an entire day to do nothing but read. Her outline will be the most concise thing you ever read, and half the length of yours. When you only got X amount of free time you learn how to pack it full, when you got lots, you learn how to widdle it away on busy work that does not mean squat come exam time. Working smart is better than working long, and the PTírs are masters at that.  Do yourself a favor, be afraid of PT, its the ONLY way you will stay motivated enough to work as hard as its going to take to land on top, no joke.

I thought we were all ranked together, I heard my school ranks all the 1L's pt and ft together. I think I understand how the class curve is stricter b/c the class is smaller. But do they separate rankings it at your school or most schools? I was kinda curious b/c i wasn't sure how they could do it when us pters haven't taken all the classes and we have taken different classes worth different credits. My civ pro is 4 credits and for Ft it is 3, weird, why?

So already have noticed some job advantages, I was just asked yesterday if I wanted to be a Balliff for the county court house, it was full time though, so the admiss officer and asked about info for pt. b/c I may be interested in doing that, working close with a judge would help a lot with conections.

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 11:29:22 AM »
Who you compete with it based on your school.  Mine ranks PT/FT together. 

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2006, 01:21:56 PM »
Hmm..Would it be safe to say that part-time evening programs are generally like half the work??

What's interesting is that I called my own school (where I will be going part-time next year as well) and they told me half the class typically works full-time. To me, that seems like it is A LOT easier than a full-time program if people can pull that off as well as study.

4DClaw

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2006, 02:43:32 PM »
Not at every school. At GW, it's 10 credits/semester for PT and 14 for FT.

Hmm..Would it be safe to say that part-time evening programs are generally like half the work??

What's interesting is that I called my own school (where I will be going part-time next year as well) and they told me half the class typically works full-time. To me, that seems like it is A LOT easier than a full-time program if people can pull that off as well as study.

4DClaw

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2006, 03:35:13 PM »
That's what I'm counting on, Augusto.