Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What is law school life like? Insider info  (Read 838 times)

edworld

• View Profile
What is law school life like? Insider info
« on: June 06, 2006, 02:59:04 PM »
Hey all, since LSD helped me out so much when I was applying to schools, I decided to share my knowledge. I just posted what law school life was like for me during my first year of law school on my blog:

http://redefinedworld.blogspot.com/
Attending: American
Accepted: American, Northeastern (w/$8,500), Suffolk, Pepperdine, Southwestern
STILL Pending $%@#: USD, Loyola (LA)
Denied: Boston College, Boston University, Columbia, NYU
Waitlist: Cardozo, Temple

corbabe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What is law school life like? Insider info
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 04:10:26 PM »
read the blawg.   enjoyed it thanks alot OP

Goodfella

• Sr. Citizen
  • I get to live the rest of my life like a schnook
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 05:02:57 PM »
barelylegalblog.blogspot.com has a lot of great stuff, especially the People You Meet in Law School series
UVA '09

tonic

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 05:04:38 PM »
barelylegalblog.blogspot.com has a lot of great stuff, especially the People You Meet in Law School series

Love them. Definitely worth a read.

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 08:46:14 PM »
I disagree about the social life and time aspects.  That's more of a school-to-school thing, although all law schools have a lot of gossip because of the smallish environments, and a personal thing with how you manage your time.  I only felt guilty once or twice and I took a lot of evenings and weekends off.

But the social dynamics varies from school to school.  I certainly didn't feel like a captured soldier in a POW camp, desperatly trying to hang on to hope and using my friends for support until the time we were all rescued.  I felt instead like students sharing a unique educational experience.  Even away from the law school, talked turned to school a lot, but there was some sort of mutual unwritten rule that law topics were not brought up a lot.  Around finals, it came up more, but I went days without discussing a legal topic with someone outside of class.  Then again, that varies, and it might have more to do with me personally than I'm giving it credit for.

I'm not disputing your perception of law school, I'm just adding a little caveat for 0Ls who see it.  Not all law schools are like that for all people.  People have all types of different experiences in law school, and to expect one will likely make it a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I totally agree about dating.  I like that you did not stress the "reputation" factor that will get shoved down students throats at most every law school in the country.  Relationships within a law school are a bad idea simply because they don't work out very often.  Near the beginning of second semester, I met my girlfriend, who is an undergrad student, and that's gone much better than many intra-law school relationships.  Then again, if you meet your soulmate or just someone really interesting, as long as you can both be mature (which is not a given in law school) then it's worth a shot if you find the time.

ajstyles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 09:19:51 PM »
Great read, thanks.  BTW where do you go to law school?

edworld

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 09:43:10 PM »
tacojohn: that's why i had that caveat, i know many people in my section that would disagree with what i wrote, but i appreciate your view also, for my personal knowledge

i attend american in d.c.
Attending: American
Accepted: American, Northeastern (w/$8,500), Suffolk, Pepperdine, Southwestern
STILL Pending $%@#: USD, Loyola (LA)
Denied: Boston College, Boston University, Columbia, NYU
Waitlist: Cardozo, Temple

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 09:49:59 PM »
tacojohn: that's why i had that caveat, i know many people in my section that would disagree with what i wrote, but i appreciate your view also, for my personal knowledge

i attend american in d.c.
I'll admit I skimmed that more than I read it.