Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: fordham or cardozo? dumb question?  (Read 1244 times)

goldilox74

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
fordham or cardozo? dumb question?
« on: June 06, 2006, 12:38:14 PM »
Is this a dumb question? I've been accepted at Cardozo for awhile, and I just found out today that I got into Fordham off the waitlist. I know Fordham is much higher ranked, but I had sort of resigned myself to not getting in, so now this is a huge change of gears.

Since I only just got in, I obviously didn't get to go to the admitted students day at Fordham a couple months ago and I know very little about it in terms of feel of the building/campus, type of student body, what classes are like, etc. Can anyone give me persuasive reasons or their impressions of Fordham from what you know? Any info/opinions are helpful.

Thanks!!!

sbr224

• View Profile
Re: fordham or cardozo? dumb question?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 12:49:59 PM »
Dozo's job placement is horrible from what I hear and a ton of grads settle for Doc Review. Fordham's facilities aren't great and the student body will be more competitive than dozo. Also, if you are weighing Dozo b/c of $, they apparently throw all their scholarship students in one section so it is harder for these students to maintain their scholarships.

goldilox74

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 12:57:18 PM »
Dozo's job placement is horrible from what I hear and a ton of grads settle for Doc Review. Fordham's facilities aren't great and the student body will be more competitive than dozo. Also, if you are weighing Dozo b/c of $, they apparently throw all their scholarship students in one section so it is harder for these students to maintain their scholarships.

I don't have any $$$ from Cardozo so that isn't weighing me toward them. Can you elaborate a bit on Fordham's lack of great facilities?

Thanks for the info! Anyone else?

sbr224

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 01:06:01 PM »
their building is ugly/old and it is overcrowded. however, i personally don't count these factors and put 0 weight on them.

def. go to fordham though.

edit add: you should be asking why anyone would choose cardozo over fordham, and most people would only go to dozo over FU if they were offered significantly more $, but you said this isn't a factor in your case.

Tyrael

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 01:08:06 PM »
I would also say Fordham.
A lot of students complain that Fordham's facilities are a bit rundown and that overcrowding is a problem.  If you're accustomed to attending overcrowded NYC schools, then Fordham LS seems just fine.  When choosing a law school, however, I don't think that the quality of the facilities should be a priority. 
Cardozo is also a relatively new school so i'm assuming that Fordham will have an easier time landing you a job.  Many claim that Cardozo is underrated and that it's on the road to stardom but as of now, I think that FOrdham is your best choice.  Congratulations on your acceptance :)

LawJedi

• Sr. Citizen
  • I've got a bad feeling about this
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 01:12:34 PM »
Fordam. You can't beat networking + reputation.

goldilox74

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 01:54:32 PM »
thank yall so much. this is really helpful. you confirmed what i was thinking. like i said, it's hard to adjust because i'd resigned myself to thinking i was not going to get into fordham so it's a hard mental adjustment...but a good one to have to do nonetheless! yay fordham!

goldilox74

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 01:56:29 PM »
one more question: what about friendliness of students? accessibility of faculty? about equal to what i could expect anywhere else? i have heard that cardozo students are friendlier and more laid back, but so long as fordham students are ridiculously horribly cutthroat a-holes, i can deal with them being a little more competitive and slightly less friendly. and i am guessing accessibility of faculty is about equal to that of cardozo? does anyone think fordham has higher quality faculty?

Patrick Fitzgerald

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2006, 12:56:18 AM »
one more question: what about friendliness of students? accessibility of faculty? about equal to what i could expect anywhere else? i have heard that cardozo students are friendlier and more laid back, but so long as fordham students are ridiculously horribly cutthroat a-holes, i can deal with them being a little more competitive and slightly less friendly. and i am guessing accessibility of faculty is about equal to that of cardozo? does anyone think fordham has higher quality faculty?

Students are fairly competitive because like all schools in that range, v100 only goes to the top 30-35% or so. It's student body is also just as qualified as the lower top14. Quite a few stidents go there because they need to be in NYC and can't get into a top 4 school. That said, I don't think it's any more competitive than a school like BU or GW.
Faculty is great from what I hear, and the new dean has raised enough money for 5 more fully endowed chairs, so its on the up and up.
Employment is significantly better than Cardozo. Actually, Fordham has more attorneys at the country's top 30 firms than all but 4 other law schools (CLS, NYU, Harvard and GULC).

fincavigia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2006, 01:56:24 AM »
Have any of you read that thread on www.jdjive.com about Fordham, or the general doc review threads? They sound awful. I don't know how representative they are, but you should look at them. It sounds awful.