31 (13.8%)
Nice Jeans
 84 (37.5%)
American Eagle/Abercrombie
 50 (22.3%)
Grungies
 55 (24.6%)

Total Members Voted: 205

Author Topic: What is Appropriate Law School Attire?  (Read 14642 times)

revelareveritas

• Sr. Citizen
  • Something strange is afoot at the Circle K...
    • View Profile
What is Appropriate Law School Attire?
« on: June 06, 2006, 10:51:03 AM »
Barring a school specific dress code, what do you all consider to be appropriate law school attire? I don't want to be a total slacker by wearing the usual jeans and t-shirt everyday, but wearing a dress shirt and tie all the time would most probably kill me, being a born westerner...
"It's not whether Iran likes carrots," he said. "Iran likes carrots. Iran demands carrots! If there is to be a solution in Iran, carrots must be part of the solution! We don't expect others to cook carrots for us then present them and then tell us, 'Eat them or else.' We can cook our own carrots!"

ACK!

• Sr. Citizen
  • RESIST THE EARTHQUAKE! REUNITE GONDWANALAND!
    • View Profile
Re: What is Appropriate Law School Attire?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 10:54:49 AM »
Did you dress up for class in undergrad?

I haven't sat in on any class where people looked like they were wearing anything other than the normal jeans and shirt, with the exception of a few anomalous d0uche bags.
U Chi '09

The Poster

• LSD Obsessed
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dontreallyknowmuch
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 11:20:52 AM »
Three piece suit. A monocle. A handlebar moustache.

I've seen you somewhere before...

quote Stanley J. Watson III
you are doomed in the fated sense, but that's completely irrelevant because that's only from the viewpoint of someone who is not constrained by time. since you are temporal, for all intents and purposes you have the power to change your future

laurrk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 11:39:47 AM »
Why is it slacking to wear jeans and t-shirts every day? I'd much rather be comfortable in class. And since I'll be living off student loans, my clothing budget won't support anything fancier on a daily basis.

sck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 11:45:15 AM »
Jeans and t-shirts aren't necessarily going to be sloppy, either. Wear nicer tees -- not your ten-year-old concert shirts -- and jeans that are in good shape. It's fine :) Hell, wear a polo.
LSN
Nontrad, with a crazy split

likewise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 11:48:12 AM »
Basically--clothes.  Comfortable clothes.

drama gal

• Sr. Citizen
  • D-Jet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 11:56:05 AM »
I think it depends on the school.  When I visited the University of Miami everyone was walking around in flip flops, tank tops and shorts.  I felt like an overdressed idiot.
The reason birds can fly and we can't is simply that they have perfect faith, for to have faith is to have wings.

Sir James Matthew Barrie

ACK!

• Sr. Citizen
  • RESIST THE EARTHQUAKE! REUNITE GONDWANALAND!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 12:21:32 PM »
Did you dress up for class in undergrad?

I haven't sat in on any class where people looked like they were wearing anything other than the normal jeans and shirt, with the exception of a few anomalous d0uche bags.

I think it depends heavily on the school.  The kids at Penn were dressed like they were halway between business casual and club wear.  Guys would wear designer jeans or khakis, with untucked button-downs (a few even threw a sportscoat over the whole thing).  The few who wanted to look "casual" were definitely Abercrombie-casual.  The ladies all wore nice, expensive-looking blouses, nice jeans/pants (it was winter, so no skirts were out).  I didn't see many traditional backpacks, but lots of leather satchels/messenger bags.

Michigan was very different.  Lots of t-shirts/sweatshirts with jeans/sweatpants.  I saw one girl in pjs.  Apparantly anything that says 'Michigan' on it is acceptable.  A few kids went with the Abercrombie look or a Gap button-down, but no one tried the trendier-than-thou sportscoat look. 

My ideal look is probably somewhere in-between.  I like to look nice, but I'm not above rolling to class in sweats on a lazy Tuesday afternoon. 

Yes sir, you're right of course. Penn did seem a little better dressed in comparison to some of the other schools I visited. Maybe they're just more socially adept there?  ;)

I guess most people would naturally adjust to whatever is normal for their school, but my impression is that it's not much different from undergrad. At most schools you'll be fine with the normal and clean shirt and jeans. Not sweats, or your "I'm with stupid" t-shirt (and mullet), but not pressed slacks and starched shirt either. Go with what's proper while comfortable.

I just don't get the rationale for going beyond what social norms call for in everyday dress just because it's law school. If you're trying to establish a good reputation with your future colleagues, then sure, but going overboard is more likely to have the opposite effect.

Are there schools where the norm is very dressy?
U Chi '09

Law-Man

• Sr. Citizen
  • In case LS doesn't work out... thank you "Duck"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 12:26:38 PM »
The real question is pleats or flat front?

Are we even allowed to wear pleated pants anywhere anymore?
Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow. - Mark Twain

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2006, 12:29:18 PM »
Barring a school specific dress code, what do you all consider to be appropriate law school attire? I don't want to be a total slacker by wearing the usual jeans and t-shirt everyday, but wearing a dress shirt and tie all the time would most probably kill me, being a born westerner...

Nearly anything is fine, though if you actually were to wear a shirt and tie to class, you would be immediately branded a feminine hygiene product of the first degree. Jeans and a t-shirt or polo is perfectly appropriate, dress shirts are fine on occasion (no tie!). If the weather is nice, people wear shorts and flip-flops.
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.