Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Denver Housing  (Read 563 times)

cesco

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Denver Housing
« on: June 06, 2006, 01:39:07 AM »
-
2L

Monarch heels

• View Profile
Re: Denver Housing
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 04:52:26 AM »
I'm trying to make the same decision.  I'm moving to Denver from Austria (yes I am from the US, I've just been over the pond for a little bit) so I've been using Google Earth and online ads heavily. 

I don't want to have to drive to class- ever- so I'm looking for a place withing walking/biking distance and public transportation if there is bad weather.  I've heard there will be a light rail stop on campus in early winter, but the RTD (public transit) site is a nightmare to use.  It looks like it was designed by a high school science teacher in 1997 (no offence to high school science teachers.)  I hear undergrads and law students get free public transit passes...?

What size are you looking for?  My biggest problem is finding a place big enough for me, husband, 2 mountain bikes, lots of ski and snowboard gear, plus all that other stuff we need like, well, furniture I guess.

Monarch heels

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 03:27:59 AM »
I've been "looking" at places (via Google Earth) east of DU a few blocks north or south of Evans, but not farther east than Broadway.  Is there some sort of bus that runs on Broadway and Evans to DU? 

Monarch heels

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 03:49:08 AM »
This might just be panic talk, but I'm considering buying the $400 LS parking permit even though I'm hoping I won't need to use it.  I'm hoping to be within walking/biking/public distance to school, but I'm wondering about those heavy book loads, weather, and bus schedules.  Currently, I never have to wait more than 10 minutes for any bus, streetcar, or subway.  I suspect I'm a little spoiled with my current easy public transportation.

I'm paranoid enough about the first year anyway, and don't want to put myself at any disadvantage by making it tough to get to campus.  $400 is a lot for parking, but in the grand scheme of things, it is a drop in the bucket...

cesco

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 09:38:03 AM »
I bought it...and asked a few questions when I did.

The girl I spoke with at parking told me they sell out very quickly so if I was even somewhat thinking I would want it, buy it.  I guess it is fully refundable, and if you use it for part of the year they will pro-rate your refund.   She said there are plenty of people that land on the waitlist for it that is why they don't hesitate to return. 

So maybe buy it as a backup until you figure out your housing/transportation system?? 
2L

kapstone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 06:51:43 PM »
I am a Denver native and happy to try to help in anyway I can.  I  havent lived there in a couple years, but know the city very well (grew up/lived in Cheesman Park area).  echoing what was said before, I really like downtown and platte river valley - would avoid living in the area immediatly around the school unless you like the UG scene. Feel free to post or PM if you have any questions.
Hopefully more Sam Seaborn than Richard Nixon....