Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Golden Gate full tuition scholarship, or not?  (Read 2961 times)

LawSchoolHopeful2009

• Sr. Citizen
  • make me "beautiful"...make me a perfect lie...
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Golden Gate full tuition scholarship, or not?
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2006, 02:38:15 PM »
I'm actually going to go against the grain and tell you to wait a year and apply to some lower T2 schools very early in the next application cycle. With your numbers, you can get into some decent T2s and manage some scholarship money out of them. Just from the rumblings on this board, it seems to me that GG isn't a very good school on the west coast and your opportunities would be very limited graduating from there. Check out LSN, believe me, you can get into some better schools. Good luck.

And you get the Dumbass Award of the day, Hopeful... Look, this obsession with getting in at a higher school at all cost is garbage! Yes, it's nice, but chances are that with applicants every year, we're lucky we get in when we do, especially when it involves free tuition! Don't be prideful! Take GG
Look dude, shut the f*ck up. I've read your posts and at first I was actually happy for you since you've been ecstatic as all hell at the prospect of going to Appalachian in the middle of f'ing nowhere. But now that you've attacked me and actually started posting on other threads that a JD is a JD no matter what school it's from, I'm gonna have to sh*t on you and wish you good luck if you think you'll be getting the same jobs Harvard grads would be getting. Even NYLS grads have a leg up on you. In a perfect world, the "JD is a JD no matter where it comes from" argument would fly, but buddy, we don't live in a perfect world and you'll find it damn near hard to find a decent job coming from that T4 craphole. You know what, yes, I'm not better in that I'll be going to a T3 school, but at least I know better than to come on here and delude people by saying they'll be fine going to a school where many many people in the area have no respect for it. By the people I've seen on LSD and on LSN, it's not a stretch of the imagination that the OP can get into a higher ranked school with his numbers which will open up many many more doors for him. I've always said when it comes to T3/T4 schools you would just go where you'll be happy and where you want to work after graduation, but that advice is for those of us that don't have the stats to get in anywhere better and should just make good with what we have. This guy CAN get in somewhere better. Plus, it doesn't even sound like the OP is overtly happy about going to GG since he's already looking at other options. It's not about being prideful, it's about doing the smart thing for your career...

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2006, 02:44:00 PM »
I strongly caution you against going to Golden Gate, no matter what your scholarship is.  They are a joke in San Francisco.  They fail out the bottom 1/5 or so of their class, and of those that manage to graduate, only about 1/3 pass the bar.  They are on ABA probation.  I work at a firm in SF, and when we started looking for my replacement, we got flooded by GG dropouts and JD recepients (who presumably didn't pass the bar) who wanted my paralegal position.  And my boss refused to interview them for it.  If you manage to be in the top 1/4 of those who started in your 1L class, you are just managing to pass the bar!  It is next to impossible to get a firm interview coming from GG, they are just NOT respected.  I'm not trying to rag on GG.  Some of its grads are very bright.  Some manage to transfer to Hastings or Boalt.  But being bright isn't going to get you an interview if your JD is from GG.  And likely, 3 years at GG is not going to get you bar membership, so if you're going to law school to become an attorney, GG is not the place to go.  It is so far below other T4 schools.  You should def. reapply to schools like USF and Santa Clara, where I think you would be competitive, probably manage to pass the bar, and be able to get a firm job of some kind.

Um, you do know how hard the California Bar is, right? The average JD takes 3 tries before passing... And that's WITH a "prestigious" JD...

Yeah, since she's going to Stanford, I think she probably knows what the California bar is.   ::)
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

greengrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2006, 02:48:43 PM »
I'm actually going to go against the grain and tell you to wait a year and apply to some lower T2 schools very early in the next application cycle. With your numbers, you can get into some decent T2s and manage some scholarship money out of them. Just from the rumblings on this board, it seems to me that GG isn't a very good school on the west coast and your opportunities would be very limited graduating from there. Check out LSN, believe me, you can get into some better schools. Good luck.

And you get the Dumbass Award of the day, Hopeful... Look, this obsession with getting in at a higher school at all cost is garbage! Yes, it's nice, but chances are that with applicants every year, we're lucky we get in when we do, especially when it involves free tuition! Don't be prideful! Take GG
Look dude, shut the f*ck up. I've read your posts and at first I was actually happy for you since you've been ecstatic as all hell at the prospect of going to Appalachian in the middle of f'ing nowhere. But now that you've attacked me and actually started posting on other threads that a JD is a JD no matter what school it's from, I'm gonna have to sh*t on you and wish you good luck if you think you'll be getting the same jobs Harvard grads would be getting. Even NYLS grads have a leg up on you. In a perfect world, the "JD is a JD no matter where it comes from" argument would fly, but buddy, we don't live in a perfect world and you'll find it damn near hard to find a decent job coming from that T4 craphole. You know what, yes, I'm not better in that I'll be going to a T3 school, but at least I know better than to come on here and delude people by saying they'll be fine going to a school where many many people in the area have no respect for it. By the people I've seen on LSD and on LSN, it's not a stretch of the imagination that the OP can get into a higher ranked school with his numbers which will open up many many more doors for him. I've always said when it comes to T3/T4 schools you would just go where you'll be happy and where you want to work after graduation, but that advice is for those of us that don't have the stats to get in anywhere better and should just make good with what we have. This guy CAN get in somewhere better. Plus, it doesn't even sound like the OP is overtly happy about going to GG since he's already looking at other options. It's not about being prideful, it's about doing the smart thing for your career...

totally got your back Hopeful :) the purpose of this board is to give objective advice. if the trust is so hard to digest then maybe some of these people need to reconsider their career choice.

LawSchoolHopeful2009

• Sr. Citizen
  • make me "beautiful"...make me a perfect lie...
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2006, 02:52:47 PM »
I definitely agree. Thanks greengrl :)

greengrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2006, 02:55:05 PM »
I definitely agree. Thanks greengrl :)

most welcome :) and that should have read TRUTH, not trust. My brain remains in neutral despite my attempts to shift into drive :)

WestCoast2L

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2006, 03:38:15 PM »
hmmm...

i know people with higher numbers that were not accepted to my 2nd tier school, so a full ride from GG sounds pretty good. i think waiting a year to go to a subjectivly higher ranked school is REALLY playing into the US News rankings more than was intended. they are not definitive, they just give a general idea of comparablility. you wont be getting into most schools even near the top of the second tier (much less 1st tier) so why travel the country next year to go to a comparable school? free rides are great, and so is san francisco.

i say go and have fun.

greengrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2006, 04:34:22 PM »
hmmm...

i know people with higher numbers that were not accepted to my 2nd tier school, so a full ride from GG sounds pretty good. i think waiting a year to go to a subjectivly higher ranked school is REALLY playing into the US News rankings more than was intended. they are not definitive, they just give a general idea of comparablility. you wont be getting into most schools even near the top of the second tier (much less 1st tier) so why travel the country next year to go to a comparable school? free rides are great, and so is san francisco.

i say go and have fun.

right, but the OP isn't looking at a Tier 2, right--isn't GG at the bottom of the Tier 4?? the OP's numbers will most certainly get him/her into a solid Tier 2 school with regional respect. In my opinion, regional employment figures are imperative when considering lower ranked schools; full ride or not going to a school that almost guarantees a bleek employment future seems silly. Honestly, why waste three years on a degree that will hold little if any weight. Take a year, do something challenging and reapply EARLY next cycle.

WestCoast2L

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2006, 05:44:38 PM »
hmmm...

i say go and have fun.

right, but the OP isn't looking at a Tier 2, right--isn't GG at the bottom of the Tier 4?? the OP's numbers will most certainly get him/her into a solid Tier 2 school with regional respect. In my opinion, regional employment figures are imperative when considering lower ranked schools; full ride or not going to a school that almost guarantees a bleek employment future seems silly. Honestly, why waste three years on a degree that will hold little if any weight. Take a year, do something challenging and reapply EARLY next cycle.

one thing i dont think you understand is outside of the top 20 all schools are fairly regional. in other words: a seattle law firm doesnt care if a regional school is 2nd tier or 4th tier - it doesnt matter because they are not even looking at ANYONE that went to school 100+ miles away (minus those 20 or so national schools)

when your numbers are not top tier quality rankings stop mattering - ALOT. what matters so much more at that point is location, money, etc...quality of life stuff.

and ps- you cant be at the "bottom of the 4th tier", because they stop ranking them after tier two. i think you just added that for dramatic flair  ::)  it was my understanding that GG was in the third tier anyways, if not this year than in past years...

WestCoast2L

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2006, 05:49:34 PM »
in looking at GGs current 1L class, the OPs GPA is 1/10 of a point higher than the average there, and thier LSAT is only 5 points higher than the average. not exactly blowing away the competition. i would say they are a match for the school and certainly lucky to have gotten so much money from them.

if san francisco is not for you then dont go, but you will be paying $100,000 more to squeak into another regional school (maybe santa clara?) a year from now if you say no...

CLS09

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2006, 06:52:22 PM »
Sorry, have to agree, don't go to Golden Gate.  It has long been a joke law school, and law is a very snobby profession where name matters a lot.  Try for Santa Clara, at which you have a good shot.  Its the rest of your life, don't waste 3 years at GG, even for free.