Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: vandy, cornell, boston college, or hastings  (Read 2338 times)

asdasd

• View Profile
vandy, cornell, boston college, or hastings
« on: February 02, 2004, 07:51:09 PM »
i just got into these schools, want to practice litigation, and in california, hastings is in cali i know this, but ranked substantially lower with poor facilities....vandy and cornell, small class sizes, good teacher student relations, etc....where to go?!?!??!

applyingsoon

• View Profile
Re: vandy, cornell, boston college, or hastings
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2004, 09:58:07 AM »
first congrats on your acceptances! definitely cornell or hastings. forget the others - the deal is to go to the best school that puts grads in the region you want to work in. so vandy and bc dont really have that much to offer you. cornell is in the top 10! in job searching from hastings you may feel sidelined by Boalt and Stanford grads.(?) Talk to the cornell career ofc and see how many grads went to CA, what their connections are on the west coast, etc. and spend your summers in CA if that's where you want to be.

jbshane

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2004, 10:42:55 AM »
Hastings is a highly regarded law school in California (especially the Bay Area).  Yes, upon graduation you will have to compete with Stanford and Boalt grads, but law firms still see Hastings in a very good light.

Cornell is a great school, but you need to check into their California placement history before you commit there over Hastings.  About two years ago, I spoke with the head of HR at a large law firm in downtown SF.  When asked which law schools they recruit from, she listed the usual CA schools (Stanford, Boalt, UCLA and USC), plus a few other top tenners (Harvard, Yale, Colubmia, NYU).  Then she made it clear that they recruit heavily from Hastings.  It's location downtown is prime real estate and you are in the thick of the SF legal community.  It isn't the best area of town, nor does Hastings have primo facilities, but it's reputation in SF (I'm not sure about LA or San Diego) is very very good.

jbshane

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2004, 10:44:26 AM »
One more thing: forget Vandy and BC.  They will offer you nothing if you want to practice in Cali.

asdasd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2004, 05:09:48 PM »
shane....how do u know for sure firms wont pay vandy well? i actually visited the school recently, spoke with students from california, and they told me that it is quite easy to get a job back in california, in fact 10 top firms from cali recruit from there.....should i take ur advice with a grain of salt? where are u getting this information?

applyingsoon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2004, 11:10:26 AM »
hey, chicken, not to be rude but this is an anonymous forum after all, comprised mainly of aspiring law students who have about just as much info as you. so while its helpful to toss out some questions and maybe get some new perspectives from people who are thinking about similar issues, i would caution you to take anything you read on any internet forum with a grain of salt - and if you want real answers, go back to the schools, talk the career offices, try to talk to alums, talk to firms in the field and location you aspire to be in, talk to current studnets at those schools, and find out the real skinny - because here you're just going to get some educated guesswork. good luck!

jbshane

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2004, 11:46:49 AM »
Chicken, I revealed my source in my initial post - the HR Director at one of the largest firms in San Francisco.  Again, she was speaking solely on behalf of her firm, but indicated that this was a trend throughout the San Fran legal community.  But, once more, this is one person at one firm in one California city.

Everything on this list should be taken with a grain of salt - you have no idea who is behind these posts.

Nevertheless, I still stand by my original statement that UC Hastings grads are very successful in the city of San Francisco.

asdasd

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2004, 05:16:59 PM »
thanks for the input guys, i just have one final question.  supposing it is in fact easier to get a job in cali if one chooses  hastings over vandebilt, BUT lets say u know for a fact u will receive a better education at vanderbilt

i ask this because when i visited vanderbilt i was so turned on by the small class size and the intimate relationships teachers develop with the students, whereas when i went to hastings, the students looked all competitive and the teachers i heard arent nearly as accessible.  THe student body at hastings is also a large 450

applyingsoon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2004, 05:21:58 PM »
personally, i'd chose better educ and small class size (by the way cornell small classes too). its not like you can never get a job in CA unless you go to a CA school. have you visited cornell? that's where i'd go given your choices, but only you know. you do seem to be enthused by vandy over the rest. there's also something to be said for going with your gut. you're going to get a good educ any way you slice it, with these options.

1L2004

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2004, 12:25:10 AM »
I've heard nothing but good things about placement after Cornell.  The school admins know they are in the middle of nowhere and make a major effort organizing job fairs all over the country...I know this because I got in and they've been bugging me for nearly a month...I also would like to practice in CA and was elated at the prospect of not having to go to Hastings (they admitted me first, Cornell about a week later). Note: I talked to an NYU law grad a few weeks ago who knows many people from Hastings and he said that every horror story about sabotage and vicious competition at that place is TRUE, TRUE, TRUE.